Poll: Big numbarz problem for me ?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Thats not true though. Noone sits and checks thousand lines of combat information after a fight. The fun part of a big crit is the moment you get it. Not 5 hours after sitting alone in a notepad document or on wol.
    Sure. But you don't actually need to comprehend the number for that, and you don't need to check thousands of lines for it, either. There are addons to keep track of that kind of thing if you really care about it.

Bottomline being, there's no need to actually be able to read and understand those numbers in the middle of combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    It matters because I want it to matter, and that is the only reason I need.
    You need a reason for the effort to be worthwhile to Blizzard though. Not a reason for it to be worthwhile for you, in which case i might as well ask why you haven't produced an addon to solve your issue yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Nonsense. Catching info on the fly is much more important. Most players out there would never have the idea to check logs for anything. And why should they. You can screw around with logs, damage meters, theorycrafting and all that kind of crap if you're that type of guy. Most players out there aren't. Gauging the effects of actions and gear in a real-time, spontaneous way on the other hand is elementary for any kind of player - just as being able to see your remaining life on a visual bar is.
    The people you're talking about are the ones that don't really care about numbers in the first place. Which renders the issue irrelevant anyway.

Deleted
    my autism can't read 2467557612356365762462357 the same as 246 so i cry

Deleted
    It is sad how people focus on numbers. If in doubt what ability hit the hardest, then look at your specialization screen - "a big hit" , and other ways of describing your different abilities .. It is so very user friendly ! If still in doubt if you play your class right, check different pages and.guides that describe what and why do prioritize different stuff to push.

Numbers are just numbers. To me it could be 100 or 183758493939 that I hit for.
    When doing quests you could also just look at how much health different stuff removes from your enemy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly it just made me stop getting enjoyment out of crits. When every number is huge they stop being important. The massive health pools also make me feel superhuman, which I don't want to be. It's kind of ethereal. I miss when our characters were just adventurers and I prefer TBC health/damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post

in which case i might as well ask why you haven't produced an addon to solve your issue yet.

Addons can't modify the default combat text in that way, the only thing you can change is the font, and as I just said 2 posts ago regarding the mods that can change the combat text in such a way, "I don't like the UI level combat text that is forced with things like MSBT and SCT"... and I know a lot of people who share that opinion.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-05-21 at 04:48 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaguestorm View Post
    ok so "big numbers are hard to understand"

uh >_> i can understand reading 1212342 and being confused... but inagme it goes

and also most addons will do this...

1.2m

so how is that hard to understand?
    Yes, and addons shortening the numbers is a sign of: Big numbers are just confusing.
    1.2M or 1200K is readable. 1,200,000 still is. 1,256,788 is a mess. why not just scrap the 788? 1256 damage, does it matter? No.
    Soloing old content? Either reduce boss hp or give a buff to the player. Nobody really cares about how you can solo, as long as you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The people you're talking about are the ones that don't really care about numbers in the first place. Which renders the issue irrelevant anyway.
    Which is nonsense as well. You act as if there was theorycrafters and complete sleepwalkers alone, and nothing in between. Completely silly. The vast majority is somewhere along the wide scope in between. People who don't even care about mechanics or HOW damage is calculated or whatever, still wanna know if the new weapon is hitting for more than the old one. And that's not even WoW-specific, but applies to any game period. For decades too.

Not a problem i guess, but i personally would prefer lower, more overall manageable numbers.. And 1.5 million player healthpools in beta makes the stat squish seem half-baked.

Quote Originally Posted by izayoi80 View Post
    Personally I can't stand the numbers we're seeing at the moment (again). I'd rather see damage in the 100-1000 range.

Some people like doing 1m+ crits, some don't. Everybody's different.
    If you wanted to do 100-1000 at max level what would the lower levels do? Larger numbers are needed unless you want the damage to stay the same the whole way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Cinis Cineris View Post
    If you wanted to do 100-1000 at max level what would the lower levels do? Larger numbers are needed unless you want the damage to stay the same the whole way.
    Make the stats gained from levels account for most of the damage? So as you level up you get stronger, and the gear only gives you 10 - 25% more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Fact however is - you just don't get it. This thread alone already contains the answers. If you're too slow to comphrehend as of now, further assistance won't help. It's OK. Life won't thrive on barren ground, and Nature grants us different things each. Maybe you got particularly large feet or something, so that the intellect tiger at least proverbially may leave behind large footprints on this world.
    Please, show on this dollie where big bad l33t touched you.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Less numbers are easier to read, making a game more simple and understandable.

More numbers are also just poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Please, show on this dollie where big bad l33t touched you.
    Nasty fantasies you're having there.

In the real world though, the big bad l33t is a kitten who needed to squeal and cry at people - who previously to his childish diatribes had a normal topic-oriented conversation -, calling them "braindead" and chiding them for their "bullshit", because he couldn't comprehend what they were saying. And now that the little rascal had been humorously schooled and put on the spot, he's being all defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    Make the stats gained from levels account for most of the damage? So as you level up you get stronger, and the gear only gives you 10 - 25% more power.
    It would work but making armor affect so little seems like a bad idea.The shortened numbers with B, M, and K would do the same thing but without all the mess of rebalancing the whole game.

Deleted
    It would work but making armor affect so little seems like a bad idea.The shortened numbers with B, M, and K would do the same thing but without all the mess of rebalancing the whole game.
    I agree that shortened numbers with B, M and K would do pretty much the same thing. THe fact that some people seem to clearly not get the problem, yet poitn to addons that does this confuses me. It must mean they use them themselves? Why? :P

Anyway. For me its a minor issue but i dont mind discussing it with big words and defending it to people just being condescending to boost their brittle ego

Deleted
    Why would it be a bad idea? It would make the max level increase mean something.
    They basically are doing it right now with the new PVP system. You gear only accounts for a few percent of your stats. Which means they have the system ready for use.

The numbers still need to be calculated and bigger numbers require more space and more computing time. And a short version just shows that it is an issue and a solution should be found instead of just an obfuscation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aveyn View Post
    Mostly it just made me stop getting enjoyment out of crits. When every number is huge they stop being important. The massive health pools also make me feel superhuman, which I don't want to be. It's kind of ethereal. I miss when our characters were just adventurers and I prefer TBC health/damage.
    Not everyone was an adventurer and honestly, when we start going for big threats. We're not really adventurers. That's besides how I feel about the numbers. I don't care mostly but I think we should of been squished to Endgame Vanilla level numbers but that is my personal opinion on it.

This IMO would give way for a few expansions for the numbers to get up.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2016-05-21 at 05:13 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I had bigger issue with numbers after squish then before.

Completely lost touch with numbers they felt weird/off.

Dont realy care about numbers. Boss dies i,m happy but just felt akward.

Legion freels beter though. Gues 9years playing and increase power and suddenly them number cut to 10% felt crap.

Isn't there an add on that simplifies the combat text numbers for the people who hate having 8+ digits per hit fly on the screen?

To simply have the floating battle text become 204k, not 204,789. Or 38.2m Not 38,221,898.

Deleted
    Its not the size of the number its how you give it to the boss am i right ?