Poll: Big numbarz problem for me ?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Uneducated people find big numbers intimidating - it's really as easy as that. They'll claim their American highschool education or degree in liberal arts has nothing to do with it, but yeah.
    No one finds them intimidating, they are just unnecessary.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    My biggest issue with this is how the fuck are we gonna use DBM and Skada in raids? This shit is gonna prevent them from being used because CPUs ain't gonna be able to parse numbers that quickly.
    DBM? I can't remember the last time it checked that at all. Unless we get some mechanic where it actually has to do that, this won't have any impact on it.

It shouldn't have much of an effect on Skada, since Lua has been using floating point all along anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Uneducated people find big numbers intimidating - it's really as easy as that. They'll claim their American highschool education or degree in liberal arts has nothing to do with it, but yeah.
    I dont even know what to say to this. Its like the train never even arrived at the station

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    Totally agree but I have a feeling that we are going to get bashed by people for having "a slow thinking process".

It is a problem though. Evidence: Blizzard wouldn't of tried to fix the problem if there wasn't a problem in the first place.

The main reason I think for complaining is that this is something they set out to fix and it hasn't been. Just like all the other crap they promised with WoD.

Regardless. Hypothetically, if large numbers are as easy to understand as all the intellectual people are telling us then what if the numbers grew to lets say:

1281018723891739S92237777777777777777777777777777782372878888888888

Are you going to be able to tell which is bigger?
    Why is being able to easily unddrstand and digrst your number so important, the numbers that you see on your screen are 100% irrelevant. There is no possiblity of making a decision on your damage or healing numbers because as a healer you can see the exact impact of every heal on your frames and as a dps there is no reason to care because managing your CD:s and resources is the only thing that matters and you damage numbers themselves dont affect that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    The main reason I think for complaining is that this is something they set out to fix and it hasn't been. Just like all the other crap they promised with WoD.
    Except they never did that. They fixed an actual technical issue until they could introduce a more long term solution. It was never about readability, it was about Ra-Den breaking the combat code and becoming invincible.

Regardless. Hypothetically, if large numbers are as easy to understand as all the intellectual people are telling us then what if the numbers grew to lets say:

1281018723891739S92237777777777777777777777777777782372878888888888
    What is that S? A mistake, a hint that the number isn't base 10?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because as numbers get bigger, the smaller numbers lose meaning and are thus unnecessary. Looking at a 1001 hit vs a 1001432 hit. What exactly is the use of the 432? I also personally don't exactly notice the difference as much when my damage increases by 100k when numbers are in the millions, opposed to when it's increased by a 100 when numbers are in the thousands. Simply because of numbers overload.

Health pools also look ridiculous with them being shortened by k's and m's because they can't fit the full number on the nameplates.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Enemy health bar showing 3000000000 health is hard to read swiftly, i got no clue does that enemy have 3 million hp or 30 million or 300 million or 3 billion or 30 billion.
    If the enemy had 3000 health that is fast and simple to see, no need to read through all those 6++ zeroes.

When my spell hits for 300000 damage it feels incredibly inflated and pointless, not to mention that during combat i can't quickly read how many zeroes are in that scrolling text.
    Huge numbers feel fake and inflated, completely unrelatable since human minds do not commonly work with MILLIONS of anything.
    They are also hard to swiftly read and look absolutely retarded having 7+ zeroes.
    I forgot to mention, when every number is huge then a big crit really does not feel special.
    I remember when my old Warlock's shadow bolt first crit for over 1000 - i was so thrilled i still remember it to this day.

But if every standard spell we do hits for a 5+ digit number then it feels very hollow to see that 6th or 7th zero added...

10+ Year Old Account
    Bigger numbers simply make floating combat text or whatever it was called pointless. But, as someone said earlier in the thread, that is a compound issue with massive numbers and varying sources of damage being done.

I used to like seeing numbers flash on the screen showing me how much my attack did, and flash bigger when it crit. Now, though, it's a jumble of worthless numbers that I might glance over in skada if I really care anymore.

Overall, large numbers don't really matter. It just killed a small, enjoyable but trivial part of what made my starting experience in WoW memorable.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Eh, all they have to do is change the way damage is held, instead of doing 1023810 damage, you do 1.02M or 1020K. Thus, the need for squishing those numbers is erased.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Here is why i find them kinda annoying(i can live with them though).

Back in the day on my mage. I knew my fireball would do 1000-2000 damage(made up, i really cant remember). I knew what my biggest crit was because i had critline like all my friends.

When someone did a big crit it was cool and we discussed it on vent.

Today playing on the beta i have no frigging clue what any of my abilities do in damage numbers. I can see from my recount what does the largest% of my damage, but i couldnt tell you what ability dealt the most damage and how much it did.

It removes a small aspect of the game for me.

You may call me stupid or whatever you want, but no my brain cant fathom the numbers and as such i just ignore them instead.

I still see if i crit because the numbers are bigger, but thats it.
    This is one of the main reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every expansion, new numbers are always confusing for a while, you don't know if you're doing well or not but eventually you get a solid feel for the 'typical' damage people do in the expansion. This is natur....

Uhm... okay let's see, personally I couldn't care less if the numbers are bigger as long as I'm playing well. The only times numbers excite me is when I break a digit threshold, such as doing 6-digits in a single hit when the norm is 5-digits, or 4-digits when the norm is 3, or, you get the gist.

I hate big numbers because when I reach big numbers, I lose sense of power and damage when I see hits for +100k. I prefer a system where ~10k or even ~1k hit is the maximum single hit damage possible. I myself feel tired after many hours of big numbers.

Scientific fact:
    Also smaller numbers are easier to read, Your brain takes less time to process what it's seeing vs processing huge numbers. Your brain get passivly tired after seeing tons of huuge numers.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was doing some archeology today. Level 99 mob is bodypulled. With HFC HC gear, instant kill. With difference of single level. This is totally wrong and only points out how stupidly overdone the max-level power curve is.
    I'll mention this just to be sure: the same mob that at 99 (or very fresh 100) takes several abilities to kill.

My issue with big numbers is simple. When I see 20000 I kow what that number is. But when I see 20000000 I have to count zeroes before I know the number. It's really a matter of comfort.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to care. I don't anymore.
    Hey

This is why I don't care so much that the game just left alpha status, that's what alpha is for - building and very mild user testing. Beta is for the wider spread testing for a mostly completed game, so shit is NOT complete and aim your feedback to blizzard, not the players - unless you are asking "hey, does this feel OP or weak to you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

No idea why it's an issue for some people.

I dont really care either way. If you have played Diable, you have seen bigger. However, I wouldnt be surprised or sad with a number crunch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because when we kill a titan at the end of this expansion we need some huge numbers to slap his face with. Then we can go back to small ones to frown at Azshara to death.

Deleted
    who cares about the autoatk dmg numbers anyway, besides, its not like we're hitting 10 bil now it goes between 100k to 1-2m max maybe, and bigger numbers are actually shown BIGGER.. guys please >_> if you feel the need to rant, atleast go rant at something thats relevant