Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    I think reading this OP just gave me several different types of cancer, what the fuck have the modern world become?
    Is Tumblr 1 of em?

Strange how this shitfest havnt been closed yet, as this thread is not constructive at all
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

The (racial)diversity in Overwatch is well executed. By which I mean you don't notice it, its just there.
    Why is it that being unnoticeable is what makes it good? Because diversity doesn't matter, good characters does. And overwatch's characters are good (to the extent that a story-light multiplayer FPS' characters can be).

Diversity without purpose is just blind tokenism for the sake of patting oneself on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    what part of me not caring about race, sexuality and country of origin,
    and just wanting a good game, with good lore, and interesting characters is contradictory to you?

Hint; not caring about something =/= being agianst it being in a game (incase you did not know)

Because you want 'interesting' characters, but you're against depth. Because you want 'good' lore, but you don't want the world it's based on to have any kind of realism.

If you were making a game about conflict on Earth right now, things like religious intolerance, civil rights and liberty, issues of race and gender repression would undoubtedly be part of the bumper lore pack you'd give the player to understand why some of these characters feel the need to fight.

Overwatch is based on a mirror Earth, and Blizzard's been quiet about most of the lore behind the Overwatch initiative. But it's clearly not a utopia; to pretend its inhabits will have never faced issues, have been motivated by prejudice or conflict, is a disservice to narrative. To say you don't care about race or origin is to say you don't want your characters to have any history, just gimmicks, which at least to me is contradictory to the idea of 'interesting'. To ignore sexuality is to ignore one of the most fundamental human connections, and to stifle potential character growth.

Just out of interest, do you think it'd be fine for TV and Film characters to all be one type of person?
    Last edited by Matchu; 2016-05-22 at 01:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a single person her has suggested to replace it with a white male/female, you are straw manning, to try and get a point across.
    Incorrect, the person in question suggested that you could replace Hanzo and Genji with two British men and it would make no difference to them. Based upon that I extrapolated what their stance is, then I voiced my understanding of it and asked for them to clarify if my understanding of it is incorrect. My point is that I want to understand their argument before I start poking holes in it, if they concretely state their argument it prevents them from moving the goalposts later on when I start poking holes in said argument.

As you might've noticed, they did respond and confirmed that my understanding of their argument was correct. So your premise of "Not a single person her has suggested to replace it with a white male/female" is wrong.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2016-05-22 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Is Tumblr 1 of em?

Strange how this shitfest havnt been closed yet, as this thread is not constructive at all
    I think the mods are all offline. But these usually like these types of threads go on for longer than they should. Ideally, this thread would have been closed on page 1 along with the OP banned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Because you want 'interesting' characters, but you're against depth. Because you want 'good' lore, but you don't want the world it's based on to have any kind of realism.

If you were making a game about conflict on Earth right now, things like religious intolerance, civil rights and liberty, issues of race and gender repression would undoubtedly be part of the bumper lore pack you'd give the player to understand why some of these characters feel the need to fight.

Overwatch is based on a mirror Earth, and Blizzard's been quiet about most of the lore behind the Overwatch initiative. But it's clearly not a utopia; to pretend its inhabits will have never faced issues, have been motivated by prejudice or conflict, is a disservice to narrative. To say you don't care about race or origin is to say you don't want your characters to have any history, just gimmicks, which at least to me is contradictory to the idea of 'interesting'.

Just apropos, do you think it'd be fine for TV and Film characters to all be one type of person?
    Where in the fuck did I say I was against depth, where the hell did I say I did not want realism?

Stating that I dont give a fuck where someones from, that I dont care if they are gay, straight or want to fuck dead horses. Or whatever country they are from.
    Does in no way. restrict a character of having any of those said traits.

I don't know how much more clear this can be.

I
    DO
    NOT
    CARE
    WHERE
    THE
    CHARACTER IS FROM
    WHAT RACE HE/SHE IS
    WHAT HE/SHE FUCKS ON HIS/HER FREE TIME

I want characters, that are deeply thought out. That have backstory, that fit into the lore, of the game they are in.

I do not want that to be changed half way through production, as that takes away from the characters story.

Literally not a single thing I said contradicts this IN ANY WAY.

Also, to answer your question, would I be fine with TV and film characters to be all one type of person?

Yes.

Would I watch it?

If someone made such a series, or movie where the story was well thought out and interesting, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Incorrect, the person in question suggested that you could replace Hanzo and Genji with two British men and it would make no difference to them. Based upon that I extrapolated what their stance is, then I voiced my understanding of it and asked for them to clarify if my understanding of it is incorrect.
    Black people can be British too, he never specified they had to be white. You drew out a judgment based on someone saying British.

Also. he is correct.. you know. You claiming that Hanzo and Genji would have a monopoly of their story, because they come from a different part of the world. Is kind of racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black people can be British too, he never specified they had to be white. You drew out a judgment based on someone saying British.

Also. he is correct.. you know. You claiming that Hanzo and Genji would have a monopoly of their story, because they come from a different part of the world. Is kind of racist.
    It isn't actually, as some elements of their story only make sense in certain contexts. Dragon's aren't common to all cultures, and what dragons represent also differ in different cultures. My point was that it would detract from their overall theme if you made them British.
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted

As you might've noticed, they did respond and confirmed that my understanding of their argument was correct. So your premise of "Not a single person her has suggested to replace it with a white male/female" is wrong.

Yeah.. that was posted during the time I posted my response.

not a single person, except for him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to derail my own thread.
    You did by bringing up WoW in the first place you moron

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Obviously McCree!

Brokeback mountain cowboy and all that...

Roadhog x Junkrat.

Would fit the whole "Tumblr freakshow" theme as well.

Deleted
    It isn't actually, as some elements of their story only make sense in certain contexts. Dragon's aren't common to all cultures, and what dragons represent also differ in different cultures. My point was that it would detract from their overall theme if you made them British.
    So it's not racist to restrict someone from using something based on the colour of their skin, or where they are from?

Face it.. It could work just as well if they were any other race, from any other place in the world.

You can actually feel represented in a game and thats rare in todays gaming!
    Yeah because that's what gaming is for, so you can self insert yourself.

I miss the times when gaming had characters that were X or Y because it made sense, not because the devs wanted to pander.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's not racist to restrict someone from using something based on the colour of their skin, or where they are from?

Face it.. It could work just as well if they were any other race, from any other place in the world.
    The basic premise of it, yes. I don't disagree that the theme of "two brothers fighting" isn't unique to certain cultures, but the cultural elements unique to the cultures that were used in that theme don't fit in every single cultural context.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2016-05-22 at 01:34 AM.

Where in the fuck did I say I was against depth, where the hell did I say I did not want realism?
    By stating that you didn't care about the very things that add depth or are products of realism. Bit 'cake and eat it' scenario, you want someone to be interesting, but you're against specifics aspects that add to that character. I genuinely don't understand how deliberately ignoring a character's history or emotions / feelings is in any way going to add to how 'interesting' they are. If it's written well for a character, what's the big deal?

So, to return to my original question, what makes a character interesting to you? If that's too wide, who's your favourite fictional character?

Like, you say a little further on you want 'deeply thought' out characters with backstory. Great, so do most people. But how deeply thought out can their backstory be if you're never going to mention where any of the 21 people are from? Do you only want a back story that goes so far for everyone?

I do also think it's kinda contradictory to say you don't care about something, then say you don't want it to be changed halfway through production. Either you don't care, or you care enough to be irritated by its changing to something else.

Also, to answer your question, would I be fine with TV and film characters to be all one type of person?

Yes.

Would I watch it?

If someone made such a series, or movie where the story was well thought out and interesting, yes.
    That wasn't the supposition though. It was all characters. If every TV and film character was one type, would that be fine.

Hurr fuckin' durr.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Oh yeah lets add gay characters...lets make them female. Man make Hanzo/Genji incest gay bros or McCree its high noon time for some dickin via broke back mountain status.

Doing Mei and Zarya as gay is just pandering.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

Deleted
    The basic premise of it, yes. I don't disagree that the theme of "two brothers fighting" is somehow unique to certain cultures, but the cultural elements unique to the cultures that were used in that theme don't fit in every single cultural context.
    Cool, so we can agree that it could work with any other group of people anywhere else in the world.

Glad we could come to that.

Might fit better with Hanzo and Genji based on where they are from though.

Again, aslong as the story is great,
    I don't give a crap where the characters are from.

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    The (racial)diversity in Overwatch is well executed. By which I mean you don't notice it, its just there.
    Why is it that being unnoticeable is what makes it good? Because diversity doesn't matter, good characters does. And overwatch's characters are good (to the extent that a story-light multiplayer FPS' characters can be).

Diversity without purpose is just blind tokenism for the sake of patting oneself on the back.
    So the entirety of what the video game industry is doing?
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    So what's interesting to you? Where do your characters get their depth?
    There is this thing called "personality" I mean, I know that this might come as a shocker, but who a person is, isn't defined by race, sexuality, or country of origin. Those certainly influence who they are, but two people with the same background in those regards will be completely different from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynny View Post
    There is this thing called "personality" I mean, I know that this might come as a shocker, but who a person is, isn't defined by race, sexuality, or country of origin. Those certainly influence who they are, but two people with the same background in those regards will be completely different from each other.
    I don't see why having a personality means you must be devoid of background or identity.