Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Is Florida considered a popular family holiday/vacation location for Americans?

Reason I ask is because over here Florida is seemingly the only American location advertised as a family holiday getaway on TV. Presumably because of Disney World (nobody wants second best Euro Disney Land) but kinda curious if it's the same in America
    Yes it is! It has some nice beaches, Disney World, Universal Studios' theme park is there as well, etc. Every time I've actually been there I've enjoyed myself.

Sadly, you have to put up with Florida Man if you ever go there.

10+ Year Old Account

Reason I ask is because over here Florida is seemingly the only American location advertised as a family holiday getaway on TV. Presumably because of Disney World (nobody wants second best Euro Disney Land) but kinda curious if it's the same in America
    Florida is gods waiting room.

From my understanding...

Florida is an awesome place to visit, a terrible place to live.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

We go to Florida a lot. Mainly because both my husband and I have family who live there -- and they are constantly trying to get us to move there, 3 of them have done so, in the past 2 days alone.

It's just too hot down there for us, and neither of us can tolerate air conditioning. It's like living in a gigantic refrigerator.

We rarely visit Orlando though. Both Key West and the west coast of Florida are much nicer.
    Last edited by Cricket22; 2016-05-22 at 04:10 AM.

Florida is a huge vacation and entertainment destination. This is partly due to Disney and the beaches, but also the fact that Florida Man lives there and can act up at any moment doing various hilarious things.

No idea. Furthest south I've been is Tenessee. That was too south for me, I'll stick with New England.

Been all over the world and Miami is one of if not my favorite place to visit. Would never live there though. Waaayy to many assholes.

Just took a trip to playa del Carmen for a week (got back today actually) and while there we met literally hundreds of Canadians. And dozens of Europeans ( mostly uk and German). Our resort was all inclusive and hotel + flight was crazy cheap. At one of the resort bars several of us from all over the world had a lengthy discussion about vacation destinations. Seems the biggest factor for many people was cost. The other was weather. Apparently it recently was snowing in Canada which prompted many of them to take a holiday to warmer weather with beaches.

We did also have a discussion on Americas lack of all-inclusive destinations. Not sure how many there are in Florida but we looked into a vacation to Disneyland (in Cali ) and it was like $4500 for everything for 3 days for a family of 4. We just went to playa for 7 days for half that cost. My boss is going to San Francisco with his family and his estimated cost is around 7500-8000. It seems crazy expensive to vacation in America.

Sort of. Its a popular destination for people living in Canada, the Midwest and New England. Its not a popular destination for people living in Texas (which parts of are very similar to FL) and the West Coast because they have California.

Florida is a very popular destination for Europeans and South Americans. I'm not sure the exact reasons. The town I used to live in had so many German tourists in winter that they considered adding German to all the traffic signs just for an example.

I guess Florida is popular namely because of amusement parks, and the beaches. Also because its in the subtropics so it never really gets cold here. A cold day in FL is 4 degrees Celsius as the low and 25 as the high.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2016-05-22 at 03:33 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by One-Eyed Jack View Post
    Florida is gods waiting room.
    To prepare you for hell for some. :P

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Sort of. Its a popular destination for people living in Canada, the Midwest and New England. Its not a popular destination for people living in Texas (which parts of are very similar to FL) and the West Coast because they have California.

Florida is a very popular destination for Europeans and South Americans. I'm not sure the exact reasons. The town I used to live in had so many German tourists in winter that they considered adding German to all the traffic signs just for an example.

I guess Florida is popular namely because of amusement parks, and the beaches. Also because its in the subtropics so it never really gets cold here. A cold day in FL is 4 degrees Celsius as the low and 25 as the high.
    In California we get a lot of Asian tourists. When I worked for a caving company I swear half the customers for the big ticket yours were from Japan or India or China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    To prepare you for hell for some. :P
    I meant that it is a waiting room because a lot of old people retire there. Maybe hell is a destination for some of them haha.

My general perception of Florida as someone in Michigan = warm weather vacation destination, Place we send our old people to die err.... retire, and source of bizarre news headlines.

is there more to Florida that I'm unaware of because I assumed that was all there was to the state.

as with most places, the coolest most memorable places aren't tourist attractions. you won't find them in a travel deal.

there's a ton of great places to go in florida, but you want to get help and advice from locals.

Yeah, in addition for having family down there. Drove down there in '12 and '15. Good times, Felt like fucking Hercules at sea level.
    Last edited by Chinese Bootlickers; 2016-05-22 at 04:14 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

You obviously never heard the story of Rudy Eugene have you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yeah, it depends on what you want. If I were a tourist visiting the US I would go to all the national parks, state parks, wildlife refuges, etc. For a city I would go to New Orleans cause it's so different and it has a rich music and food culture.
    I wouldn't go to New Orleans.

That city alone force the state murder average up every year.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Florida doesn't have an income tax because it is able to do so well with sales tax from tourists. It is a very popular vacation destination. It is advertised in Europe for obvious reasons- in the winter, Florida is a warm destination without snow. There's not many northerners vacationing there in the summer, also for obvious reasons!

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, but I'd say that Hawaii is better in pretty much every relevant metric (full disclosure - I consider the lack of theme parks in a Hawaii a plus, although that likely isn't true for medium children).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's always been considered a spring break destination for partiers,and a retirement place for old folks. Disneyworld and the other theme park come to mind when I think of family stuff in Florida.