Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    They are not world champions unless their empires spread across the world, they are regional champions - the Romans were regional, as were Macedonians, Ottomans, Persians, Mongols, etc. Not my fault they had not dicovered the Americas.
    All of these Empires spread quite well. You just came up with a metric that you think favored Europeans, but it doesn't, save for British.. As I told you, only British Empire achieved what you are saying, thanks to their advanced sea navigation techniques and navy. Neither French, nor Spaniards controlled Australia as far as I am aware, effectively making them a non-World Champion with your own metrics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the east is geographically lower than the west.

The fact i can spend my free time playing video games tells me that our society is better than anything anyone else has to offer.

Do i actively look down on non western (white) people? no, but i do think i live far better than them.

China has been civilised before Europeans knew the word existed.
    Yeah, right, the way the chinese government are treating it's minorities like the Falun Gong says something else.

On 20 July 1999, the Communist Party leadership initiated a nationwide crackdown and multifaceted propaganda campaign intended to eradicate the practice. It blocked Internet access to websites that mention Falun Gong, and in October 1999 it declared Falun Gong a "heretical organization" that threatened social stability. Falun Gong practitioners in China are reportedly subject to a wide range of human rights abuses: hundreds of thousands are estimated to have been imprisoned extrajudicially,[2] and practitioners in detention are subject to forced labor, psychiatric abuse, torture, and other coercive methods of thought reform at the hands of Chinese authorities.[3] As of 2009, human rights groups estimated that at least 2,000 Falun Gong practitioners had died as a result of abuse in custody.[4] Some observers put the number much higher, and report that tens of thousands may have been killed to supply China's organ transplant industry.[5][6] In the years since the persecution began, Falun Gong practitioners have become active in advocating for greater human rights in China.
    This is a travesty, and it only shows how the rest of the world are willing to look the other way due to economical interests.
    Last edited by Waynhim; 2016-05-22 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    Eh not really. I've lived some time in Asia, specifically Vietnam and it wasn't that bad. I've grown fond to it. Though I'm yet to visit Europe, perhaps my standards are too low.
    i said most, not all. quite a few asian cultures are fine. just need to fix their animal rights problems, and it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    So, Turkey then?
    You may be trolling here, but that's a reality in Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    You just came up with a metric that you think favored Europeans, but it doesn't, save for British.
    There may have been a reason for that. What with me being British and all.

Our women are manlier. In case of an invasion we would be able to fight back with twice as many warriors.

There may have been a reason for that. What with me being British and all.
    Then say British, not European and I will agree with you.

That would make someone from somewhere like 2,000 BC Scotland World Champion for beating up their neighbour, because they had never heard of anywhere else. Were the Incas World Champions?
    The Incas were definitely noteworthy for their achievements. I think the crown world champion will probably be safe in British vaults for good by your criteria. But you are underselling what Romans and Greeks (and Persians) did.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    Yeah, right, the way the chinese government are treating it's minorities like the Falun Gong says something else.
    You have to remember that Falun Gong is sort of like the Chinese equivalent of the Church of Scientology. Every once in a while I kind of wish the government would bring the hammer down on the Scientologists but it'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    You have to remember that Falun Gong is sort of like the Chinese equivalent of the Church of Scientology. Every once in a while I kind of wish the government would bring the hammer down on the Scientologists but it'll never happen.
    And use them for spare parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post

This is a travesty, and it only shows how the rest of the world are willing to look the other way due to economical interests.
    I wasn't talking about current China, obviously.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Isn't there a rule about non-westerners posting on mmo-c? Can we get this thread closed and the author banned, please.
    Lol'd IRL well played

You may be trolling here, but that's a reality in Europe.
    Why do you think I'm trolling. I was trying to do the exotic art of MAKING A QUIP. Jesus, if any silly line written here was a troll, we'd never get our accounts unbanned. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Then say British, not European and I will agree with you.
    But the question was why do Westerners look down on non-Westerners and the likes of Spain, Portugal, Holland and France conquered territories in Africa, Asia and the Americas, but were not conquered in turn by people from those regions, so they count as World Champions in the context of the question.

Using the British Empire is just unfair, we were number one in land area, population and number of continents. Had the question been "Why do British people look down on non-British", then I would have given that answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wanna evaluate on empires:

They are not world champions unless their empires spread across the world, they are regional champions - the Romans were regional, as were Macedonians, Ottomans, Persians, Mongols, etc. Not my fault they had not dicovered the Americas.
    Man, there's such thing as the "Old World".
    The world as it was known at the times of events happening.

The British empire is considered the biggest in history.
    But effectively the biggest has always been the Mongolian empire. It's been only 0.7 mio square km smaller than the British, but did not include a lot of massive, yet empty (e.g. Canada, Australia ) lands. It was more effective since concentrated into one stretch.

As we know, nations that engage in power and land grab are normally cursed for eternity.
    The people from those nations will never live up to it, not in their lifetimes. Not in their children and grand children lifetimes and longer...
    The Brits don't have that problem. Probably for 2 reasons.
    1. The Brits weren't as blood thirsty as other empires.
    2. For most part they only ever took empty lands, or very low populated regions.
    Look at Canada and Australia combined barely breaking the 50 mio people mark, in the 21th century now.

I have a thing for all things British, that includes the empire too lol
    But it's never been the most important one for that matter. It's not even in the top 3..
    It's been more adorable as in "hey let's take this and hold onto it, before it gets misplaced" attitude.

The top three empires would be:
    Mongolian, Roman, Ottoman
    The Ottoman could be challenged with Charlemagne's empire.
    All those empires put their stamp onto our lives of today. For the good or the worst, we live with their legacies.
    The Brits? They can only be blamed for the USA. lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    But the question was why do Westerners look down on non-Westerners and the likes of Spain, Portugal, Holland and France conquered territories in Africa, Asia and the Americas, but were not conquered in turn by people from those regions, so they count as World Champions in the context of the question.

Using the British Empire is just unfair, we were number one in land area, population and number of continents. Had the question been "Why do British people look down on non-British", then I would have given that answer.
    Yet you still eat fish and chips.

I dont look down on all of them, i dont think most do either. I look down on people that are clearly going after other innocents people, even innocents non westerners. I have no problem with Japan and South Korea for example. I even lived in SK after college for 2 years. I dont look down on some of the muslims friends i made during my life, because the ones i dont look down on, generally dont hold their religion above others well being and freedom.

I don't think Westerners looking down on others has something to do with prior Empires. West has been dominating power in the world past 300 years. Their economy is strong, science is strong and they are overall well developed. When you are in a better situation, and others are not, the very basic human reaction is considering self better than others. This does not apply to all, but it is a well-observed human behavior and hence the concept "looking down". Tides may change in future and Europeans may be looked down. There isn't any sophisticated reason involved. It's a matter of relative position in the world and human nature.

USA, in this regard, is a bit different, according to my observation.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-05-22 at 10:28 AM.