Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    If something doesnt happen for a reason, there is no how to discover.
    That's just straight wrong... gravity works, and it doesn't have a reason.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    People asking "why" in ancient times before they had the proper technology to find the exact answers themselves is how mythology was born. That mythology becoming the center piece of government is how religion was born.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Life is completely absurd. There is no implicit or inherent point to being alive or things existing.

Matter has no purpose and no cause of Why. Living organisms are just biological engines converting kinetic energy. Everything you think and feel as an entity is a byproduct of biology- which has no point or value implicitly. All value is an invention.
    What is absurd can't exist. Only logical things happen. Therefore:

a) life isn't absurd
    b) you don't exist

Fact that you can't understand life doesn't make you smarter, on the contrary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    That's just plain wrong from scientific point of view.

Every force has a cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Every force has a cause.
    That's not 'why' - that's how.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is absurd can't exist. Only logical things happen.
    No, this isn't how it works. Logic explains the things that have happened; first the things happen, then the logic is applied to them. Events happen just as they do, and your logic allowing them is not necessary for them to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post

Obligatory video
    Fantastic video, gotta love Feynman, I remember watching him explaining his thought processes and just nodding gleefully the whole way through

A reminder to always question assumptions, dig deeper into one's imagination - and always be rational and logical
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-05-22 at 01:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    existence is a massive shared hallucination.
    Descartes gave us "I think, therefore I am."
    Thoughtful Trolli gave us "I think, therefore I am not."

You only think you exist?... Right...
    Last edited by Gadion; 2016-05-22 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Punctuation

final answer to it?
    the final answer is silent , meaning you being silent and walk away
    cuz you deduce the other person is just pulling yr leg who is constantly asking why

or you reverse the tables on that person , and ask why do you ask why ?
    and you ad some anger to it
    or a threat , to shock the other person and make him realize the joke is getting old

cuz the Why joke is old its meant to mess with you its to drag you into a bullshit delusion where you constantly have to think of the next and the next and the next chain of events following the next one

so you basically can keep going if you want just until you realize it is starting to piss you off or strikes a nerve

because you will end up talking about time and space and the choices you made that lead up to you asking this question why
    and if he waited 1 second longer he wouldn't have asked why to begin with

and if he asks why on that then you need to look in his face and see if he understood what you said if some one doesnt take the time to take it all in then again he's pulling yr leg
    and you can question him and if he really is out there to piss you off then just warn him that you will slap his face if you keeps pissing you off

there are alot of ways how someone ends up asking why and why over and over
    and here's just a few examples
    i could name all the why encounters but its over 20 and these will do for now if it helps you answer that why question

Deleted
    If you go down the chain of "Why?" you end up with death and that's just how it is.

I am pretty sure it's something about how mass warps space and hence attracts more mass.

Scientificatlly: "Why" is the reason of human's new discoveries and evolution (through knowledge). The human kind is self torturing himself with this question. We need to understand. This is caused by increased intelligence. When we say the "ignorant are blessed", its kinda true since they dont care, they dont know, dont want to know and they are happy. For the others, theres Wikipedia

Religiously: The "why" is also the root cause of most religions. When things cannot be explained, it must be from a higher power than us, a being more powerful that can do it all. Then when you ask "Why does he do it", the answer is usually "because its his will". It doesnt answer the question, but people usually fear that divine authority as absolute and just accept it. But the question is still not answered. Thats how Faith got created.

Then theres the philosophic approach. Im sure our greek pals philosophs thought about it all already, but I dont know much myself about it. But im sure you'll find very good information from them, after a little research.

@thenconfuciussaid: If you are to write something about the "Why" question and need more "text", I would go with the scientific/religious/philosophic comparison, as each gives their own answer, but each in different ways.
    Last edited by Ravingmad; 2016-05-22 at 01:08 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post

Obligatory video
    Good video to the extent he explained how and to what extent one can explain a "why" question is going to depend on the level of experience/capability of the one asking the question has. That is what I got out of it.

Self preservation is a powerful drive for most species. It's balanced by a drive for the preservation of the species. The latter can lead to acts of self sacrifice to protect the herd or such. These can be philosophized into "evil" and "good" if you like. Knowledge is a tool that can be used to protect oneself. The more one knows about something dangerous, the more safely one can deal with that situation. This spills over into the feeling that knowing how any and everything works can provide a sense of safety, of self preservation. Typically, humans respond to things in a triangle. They tend to fear what they don't understand, they try to destroy what they fear, and far too often they try to destroy what they don't understand. Understanding things breaks that cycle.

So "why" is an extension of self preservation.

However, there's a complication. When the answer to "why" creates a strong negative emotion it can result in "cognitive dissonance". People begin to rationalize and outright ignore things so they can continue to feel "safe" and "strong" because they "have it all figured out". This even applies to people who consider themselves very scientific, because if something shakes the foundation of what they've accepted as scientific "fact", they may blindly rage against it in spite of more recent data. The microwave powered drive that NASA is seriously looking at is just one example of that.

Psychologically speaking, sometimes people ask "why" not because they're looking for any reasoning why they should or should not do something, but rather because they're hoping that the person responds with something they hadn't thought of that they can then use as an argument for doing what they want instead. "Why should I?" isn't a direct question, but rather an act of defiance.

One other thing that I find relevant to "why", the pursuit of knowledge, and cognitive dissonance is the first passage from H.P.Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

What is absurd can't exist.
    Absurd does not mean logically impossible in philosophy.

Your understanding is incomplete in the reading of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Absurd does not mean logically impossible in philosophy.

Your understanding is incomplete in the reading of my post.
    From oxford dictionary, absurd = Wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate

From my understanding, illogical = logically impossible.

Its obvious though your command of english language is superior to mine, and most on this forum. Maybe, in philosophy, these english words mean something else. I don't know.

Don't make posts that are near-impossible to understand, then. It's pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

From oxford dictionary, absurd = Wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate

From my understanding, illogical = logically impossible.
    As I said, within philosophy that is not what Absurdity pertains toward. It is concerned with the value attribution of living. As such there is no value implicitly. The process by which you chose to interpret the term as used was faulty.

Life is fundamentally absurd.

Varying overviews on the quality of Absurdity for your consideration:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/camus/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kierkegaard/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/sartre/

Edit: It's reasonable why 'absurd' would be taken to mean 'logically impossible,' since that's how it's used in logic and math.

That's not 'why' - that's how.
    I'm not aware of any physicist that really splits hairs over 'why' v.s. 'how.' Mostly because they're interested in doing science and not philosophy, in which case 'why' and 'how' are effectively interchangeable.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2016-05-22 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Why?

Because I said so!

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Why?

Because I said so!

/thread
    Seems like it would interminably end up being that or "I don't know.".... Why? I don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is an answer: "Because" followed by slapping the person and telling them to stop being a pretencious pseudo-intellectual dipshit

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    There is an answer: "Because" followed by slapping the person and telling them to stop being a pretencious pseudo-intellectual dipshit
    Imma use that word for word for the Antagonist's dialogue, let's say for authenticity.