Help with PC upgrade

I want to buy a new PC, this one is two years old already. I will list my current components. I use my PC for gaming and photo editing. Anyway, my current system:

Code:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X79-UD3
    Processor: Intel i7-4820 Quadcore
    Memory: Kingston 12GB Tripple Channel DDR3
    Graphic Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780ti 3GB GDDR5
    SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Hard Disk: Western Digital Sata 1TB Caviar Black
    Case: Antec P183 Mid-Tower
    Card Reader: Chieftec SD/MMC MicroSD xD MS/Pro/Duo
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T260 27"
    Speakers: Creative Stereo
    Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech (Azerty)
    Controller: Microsoft XbOne

I do not really need a new keyboard or mouse.. a new monitor, maybe, but I think 4K models are still very expensive? Budget, well 2000 euro-ish.. Now I have been buying PC's since the 486/DX66 days however I always seem to be disappointed with what I end up with.. so I ask for advise this time!

Thanks!

Well I think you're good.

I say just upgrade your Graphics Card to a GTX 1080 or sit and wait to see is released from Nvidia 1080ti or AMD Vega late 2016 or early 2017. Maybe add a little SSD space grab yourself another samsung 850 evo 250 or 500 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Well I think you're good.

I say just upgrade your Graphics Card to a GTX 1080 or sit and wait to see is released from Nvidia 1080ti or AMD Vega late 2016 or early 2017. Maybe add a little SSD space grab yourself another samsung 850 evo 250 or 500 GB.
    Hmm, but my pc is a few years old... surely I can upgrade it Also, is 4K gaming already a thing or still to soon?
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2016-05-21 at 08:16 PM.

You CPU should still be decent, you could try to overclock it if not doing that yet, a new graphics card should speed games notably once the GTX 1080 is out you could get that.

Going to Skylake could get your like 10-15% increase in performance but not sure it is worth the money, 4k gaming is still a stretch with a single GPU and SLI usually has a bunch of issues.

Now if you do more then gaming and use software that can use more cores you could look into the upcoming intel Broadwell-E CPU's like the 6800K or 6900K but those are serious overkill for just gaming.

donate €2000 to charity instead, dang.

what about your computer doesn't feel fast? downloading a file? moving 20gb from one drive to another? unzipping a 1tb rar file? shutting down windows? opening 1000 tabs in chrome and then closing them all at once? rendering an entire pixar film? sending an email to grandma?

it could feel slow because grandma just doesn't know how to open the email quicker

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    donate €2000 to charity instead, dang.

what about your computer doesn't feel fast? downloading a file? moving 20gb from one drive to another? unzipping a 1tb rar file? shutting down windows? opening 1000 tabs in chrome and then closing them all at once? rendering an entire pixar film? sending an email to grandma?

it could feel slow because grandma just doesn't know how to open the email quicker
    Ok, I get it, pc hardware is moving forward extremely slow the last few years... but if I want to be future proof, is there a good 4k monitor that doesn't cost my entire budget

- - - Updated - - -

Soo after spending some hours in research, this is what I got so far, if anyone knows how to improve any of these components let me know:

Code:
    Processor: Intel i7-6700 4000mhz Quadcore
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA, socket 1151
    Memory: 64GB DDR4 (4x G.Skill D432GB 2800-14 Trident Z K2 16GB)
    Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X

Why would you want that much memory? 8Gb is plenty for gaming 16 GB more then enough to multitask a like a madman, 32 GB overkill unless you run some real specific software or your whole steam catalogue in one go.

Best way for us to recommend something is if you fill out the forum sticky.

Include the following information when posting a request.

•Budget
    •Resolution
    •Games / Settings Desired
    •Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    •Country
    •Parts that can be reused
    •Do you need an OS?
    •Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Why would you want that much memory?
    Because it looks cool if you look at system properties Besides, it only is like 200 euro extra for another set of 32gb... that won't make or break anything Not sure if the ram chosen is the fastest out there, I think I saw faster, problem was that is wasn't in 16gb modules, so could only fit 32gb max in that case ...

Also, the internet tells me the GTX1080 is going to cost about 550usd (that is 500 euro or so ?), I find that hard to believe as they are selling 980TI's for 700+ euro in stores over here...

To answer your questions:
    Budget: 2000 but can over if needed, want a beast...
    Resolution: Would like to be 4k future proof (NO SLI or Crossfire.. I once had that and had plenty of probs without a lot of gain...)
    Games/Settings desired: Max
    Any other software... : I do photo editing so lightroom, photoshop and such
    Parts that can be reused, my old pc is going to my GF
    Do you need a OS, I got a win10 license, I presume I can re-activate it on my new pc
    Do you need peripherals: a 4k monitor

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Now I have been buying PC's since the 486/DX66 days however I always seem to be disappointed with what I end up with.. so I ask for advise this time!
    You are probably disappointed because you upgrade when you don't really need an upgrade. Is your system having trouble doing anything that you want it to do? I mean, you could possibly use a GPU upgrade, but the CPU you mention you are looking at upgrading to is only about 5-10% better than what you have, and does not even matter for most games. Upgrading to it will not really make any noticeable difference. Same thing with the RAM. You will not notice any difference. If I spent all that money on an upgrade and then did not get much of an increase in performance, I'd be disappointed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You are probably disappointed because you upgrade when you don't really need an upgrade. Is your system having trouble doing anything that you want it to do? I mean, you could possibly use a GPU upgrade, but the CPU you mention you are looking at upgrading to is only about 5-10% better than what you have, and does not even matter for most games. Upgrading to it will not really make any noticeable difference. Same thing with the RAM. You will not notice any difference. If I spent all that money on an upgrade and then did not get much of an increase in performance, I'd be disappointed too.
    Myea, but I need to upgrade anyway.. Seems noone knows if what I proposed is good or not however.. (or how to improve it), or a good 4K monitor ...

If you really want to spend money just to spend it, look at something like this, did put a placeholder GPU since the new ones are not in yet

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3466 Memory ($612.18 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive ($388.42 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($623.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus PG27AQ 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($899.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $3464.43
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-22 08:07 EDT-0400

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    If you really want to spend money just to spend it, look at something like this, did put a placeholder GPU since the new ones are not in yet

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3466 Memory ($612.18 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive ($388.42 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($623.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus PG27AQ 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($899.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $3464.43
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-22 08:07 EDT-0400
    OP: This is all a waste of money.

All the new gear is coming out this year. New Video Cards, New CPUs, New MoBos etc and your 2 year old PC is actually a viable PC for the next 3 years. Upgrade the video card when they are released and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    OP: This is all a waste of money.

All the new gear is coming out this year. New Video Cards, New CPUs, New MoBos etc and your 2 year old PC is actually a viable PC for the next 3 years. Upgrade the video card when they are released and call it a day.
    We already told him that a number of times but he seems adamant to upgrade regardless, might as well give him an idea what it would cost for a minor performance upgrade, other then the new GPU, that should be substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Myea, but I need to upgrade anyway.. Seems noone knows if what I proposed is good or not however.. (or how to improve it), or a good 4K monitor ...
    No, you really don't. That's the point we are making. Your CPU, if upgraded, will need new MoBo and RAM and the most performance increase you'll see out of that will be 5-10%.

Your current CPU is just fine for 4k or 1440p, which is what I'd actually recommend going for currently. 4k is not really here yet, even with the best current GPU on the market. Even the GTX1080 can not average over 60FPS in current games at 4k. If you turn some settings down it may be acceptable, but 1440p is really the sweet spot right now. However, this is all your GPU, upgrading your CPU will do nothing for you. Best bet if you really want to upgrade would be to wait for the third party GTX1080s to hit the market and pick up one of those, then you can try a 4k monitor if you want, or 1440p which is what I'd likely recommend. If you can hang on to what you have for a little longer, because it should be performing more than ok, AMD is releasing Vega 10 in Oct this year and then nVidia will probably answer shortly thereafter with the 1080ti. That would be the time to upgrade an enthusiast level PC like yours, when the true top end comes out.

Other than the GPU though, any other upgrades you make will habe no real noticeable affect, which will likely once again lead to disappointment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    No, you really don't. That's the point we are making. Your CPU, if upgraded, will need new MoBo and RAM and the most performance increase you'll see out of that will be 5-10%.

Your current CPU is just fine for 4k or 1440p, which is what I'd actually recommend going for currently. 4k is not really here yet, even with the best current GPU on the market. Even the GTX1080 can not average over 60FPS in current games at 4k. If you turn some settings down it may be acceptable, but 1440p is really the sweet spot right now. However, this is all your GPU, upgrading your CPU will do nothing for you. Best bet if you really want to upgrade would be to wait for the third party GTX1080s to hit the market and pick up one of those, then you can try a 4k monitor if you want, or 1440p which is what I'd likely recommend. If you can hang on to what you have for a little longer, because it should be performing more than ok, AMD is releasing Vega 10 in Oct this year and then nVidia will probably answer shortly thereafter with the 1080ti. That would be the time to upgrade an enthusiast level PC like yours, when the true top end comes out.

Other than the GPU though, any other upgrades you make will habe no real noticeable affect, which will likely once again lead to disappointment.
    This this and this.

Blow the money if you want, it is all side upgrades and bragging rights.

We already told him that a number of times but he seems adamant to upgrade regardless, might as well give him an idea what it would cost for a minor performance upgrade, other then the new GPU, that should be substantial.
    I know I was just adding my 2 cents, I wasn't knocking your system build.

Deleted
    If you want so spend the money you can always just upgrade the GPU and then get some fancy custom cables, extra ledstrips, fancy fans or custom watercool loop so your pc looks extra fancy.

nah i still say donate it to charity.