Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    TIL that blizzard produces movies.

Srsly guys? Blizzard only gave the story and metzen was involved in story / characters. Thats all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallador View Post
    The Warcraft film budget is over $100M USD iirc which is pretty average for a film, also wouldn't say Ben Foster or Dominic Cooper are "unknown actors"
    Actually for a heavy CGI movie it is not too much...especially with promotions (wiki says $160, but even that not too much)and based on the pathetic mistakes with the advertising (white skinned Garona and so on) yes they are cheapskates...
    And that 2 mentioned actors are not a great deal..Don`t get me wrong, I like them, but they are nowhere compared to an AAA name (as "puller" names)

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash512 View Post
    So... if its pushing the limits of movie tech, why does it look less real than lord of the rings.
    First of all, different style. Tons more magic and whatnot. Also LOTR was using a -lot- less CGI. Heck, compare LOTR to The Hobbit which was using tons more CGI and you'll notice a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Simple: because unknown actors are a lot cheaper to hire than famous, well-established ones.

Blizz does everything on the cheap now trying to maximize profit but it often comes back to bite them on the ass.
    I wish people would finally get it through their heads that Blizzard did not make this movie. The only thing they contributed was the rights to the story and the name. It is NOT a Blizzard production. SMH

I can't wait for the movie to come out hopefully all the movie spam here on MMO-champion will end

Quote Originally Posted by Scroolooseuk View Post
    The human characters just look fake and boring. Why are they all unknown actors? Seems every new franchise that comes out these days has actors in that no one has ever heard of.
    Unknown actors? I recognize all of them and they have had major roles in movies. On top of my head:

Garona - Mission Impossible
    Medivh - X Men
    King Llane - Need for Speed
    Durotan - Fantastic 4, Planet of the Apes, Wrath of the Titans etc

Some cast i even see on TV like agents of shield etc. They are not unknown actors lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Laylriana View Post
    I wish people would finally get it through their heads that Blizzard did not make this movie. The only thing they contributed was the rights to the story and the name. It is NOT a Blizzard production. SMH
    Nope.

Legendary?s Warcraft is a 3D epic adventure of world-colliding conflict based upon Blizzard Entertainment?s globally-renowned universe. Directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code), written by Charles Leavitt with a rewrite by Duncan Jones. The film, a Legendary Pictures, Blizzard Entertainment and Atlas Entertainment production, is produced by Charles Roven, Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni and Alex Gartner. Stuart Fenegan, Jillian Share, Brent O?Connor, and Blizzard Entertainment?s Michael Morhaime and Paul Sams serve as executive producers. Rob Pardo and Blizzard Entertainment?s Chris Metzen and Nick Carpenter co‐produce with Atlas?s Rebecca Steel Roven.
    Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...ZckOZeQELQI.99

Their involvement is a little more than the rights and the name. Blizzard has a financial stake in this. Don't forget, Legendary didn't approach Blizzard with the idea, Blizzard was shopping the movie idea around for years, and chose Legendary to form a production company to make the movie with. Atlas came in later, and Universal last of all - the film will be labeled as an "Atlas/Blizzard/Legendary/Universal" production.

While it is true, Legendary is doing the heavy lifting with Atlas, actually hiring people and buildings sets and producing footage, trust me in that Blizzard has contributed a lot more than the rights and idea. The Blizzard guys are most likely not working on the movie on a day to day basis, but I'd bet they've invested a significant amount of time into the project, along with their financial investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wattmate View Post
    Hmm using new tech possibly, pushing the limits? Don't think so. I'm a huge fan and will be watching this movie asap no doubt. But i would be telling a lie if i said the graphics/special effects were amazing.
    I feel like either the marketing department is fresh hires or is getting caught up in Warcraft being a "video game" movie and not knowing how to market it. Just dont treat it like a video game movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Who paid for it? Did Blizzard not put up the funding, and who will get the receipts from the sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Nope.

Legendary?s Warcraft is a 3D epic adventure of world-colliding conflict based upon Blizzard Entertainment?s globally-renowned universe. Directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code), written by Charles Leavitt with a rewrite by Duncan Jones. The film, a Legendary Pictures, Blizzard Entertainment and Atlas Entertainment production, is produced by Charles Roven, Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni and Alex Gartner. Stuart Fenegan, Jillian Share, Brent O?Connor, and Blizzard Entertainment?s Michael Morhaime and Paul Sams serve as executive producers. Rob Pardo and Blizzard Entertainment?s Chris Metzen and Nick Carpenter co‐produce with Atlas?s Rebecca Steel Roven.
    Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...ZckOZeQELQI.99

Their involvement is a little more than the rights and the name. Blizzard has a financial stake in this. Don't forget, Legendary didn't approach Blizzard with the idea, Blizzard was shopping the movie idea around for years, and chose Legendary to form a production company to make the movie with. Atlas came in later, and Universal last of all - the film will be labeled as an "Atlas/Blizzard/Legendary/Universal" production.

While it is true, Legendary is doing the heavy lifting with Atlas, actually hiring people and buildings sets and producing footage, trust me in that Blizzard has contributed a lot more than the rights and idea. The Blizzard guys are most likely not working on the movie on a day to day basis, but I'd bet they've invested a significant amount of time into the project, along with their financial investment.
    Don't know where you got your info from, but this is from IMDB and lists the contribution made by each entity. Blizzard's sole contribution is "original idea by":

Production Companies

Atlas Entertainment
    Legendary Pictures
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Universal Pictures

Distributors

Andes Films (2016) (Chile) (theatrical)
    Karantanija Cinemas (2016) (Slovenia) (theatrical)
    Toho-Towa (2016) (Japan) (theatrical)
    United International Pictures (UIP) (2016) (Argentina) (theatrical)
    United International Pictures (UIP) (2016) (Singapore) (theatrical)
    Universal Pictures International (UPI) (2016) (Belgium) (theatrical)
    Universal Pictures International (UPI) (2016) (Germany) (theatrical)
    Universal Pictures International (UPI) (2016) (France) (theatrical)
    Universal Pictures International (UPI) (2016) (UK) (theatrical)
    Universal Pictures International (UPI) (2016) (Italy) (theatrical)
    Universal Pictures International (UPI) (2016) (Netherlands) (theatrical)
    Universal Pictures (2016) (USA) (theatrical)
    Westec Media Limited (2016) (Cambodia) (theatrical)
    Finnkino (2016) (Finland) (all media)

Special Effects

Animatrik Film Design (virtual production services)
    El Ranchito
    Hybride Technologies
    Industrial Light & Magic (ILM)
    Lindala Schminken FX
    Prime Focus World (3D conversion)
    Rodeo FX (visual effects)

Other Companies

5th Kind (digital asset management)
    Blizzard Entertainment (original idea by)
    Canada Film Capital (tax incentive consulting services)
    Codex Digital (digital recording equipment)
    Company 3 (digital intermediate)
    Greenhaus GFX (titles)
    Legendary Pictures (funding)
    Propshop (prop makers)
    Tencent Pictures (funding)
    Twenty Four Seven Sound (sound post-production)
    Weta Workshop (pre-production)

>Pushing movie technology to it's limit
    >Thumbnail shows a foot clipping through a wing
    What a golden age of cinema we're about to enter

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know where you got your info from, but this is from IMDB and lists the contribution made by each entity. Blizzard's sole contribution is "original idea by":...
    Blizzard's "sole contribution"? Not true, because they're listed as one of the production companies.

Again, who funded the movie and who will get the receipts from sales? Is Blizz on the hook to Legendary and Tencent Pictures for whatever percentage of funding they contributed, etc.?

Of course Blizz is not a movie producer so they've hired out much of the work to get it made. Don't try to say that if the thing stinks, it's not Blizzard's fault.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2016-05-23 at 12:21 AM.

Don't know where you got your info from, but this is from IMDB and lists the contribution made by each entity. Blizzard's sole contribution is "original idea by":

Production Companies

Atlas Entertainment
    Legendary Pictures
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Universal Pictures
    You listed Blizzard Entertainment yourself as a production company from IMDB, lol. How much of an idiot are you going to make of yourself to avoid admitting you were wrong? What's wrong with you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash512 View Post
    So... if its pushing the limits of movie tech, why does it look less real than lord of the rings.
    Because it's actually been a very long while since you've seen LOTR, and you forget that any scene where the hobbits are standing near other people looks fake as shit. Go back and watch when all of Gondor bows to the hobbits. And tell me that looks real. You can't, because it's glaringly obvious. You just overlook it because it's god damned lord of the rings. This thread is made entirely of whiny babies who don't understand that when CGI isn't used just to save money, it's the reason we have the kinds of movies we have today.
    Last edited by roahn the warlock; 2016-05-23 at 02:29 AM.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Blizzard's "sole contribution"? Not true, because they're listed as one of the production companies.

Again, who funded the movie and who will get the receipts from sales? Is Blizz on the hook to Legendary and Tencent Pictures for whatever percentage of funding they contributed, etc.?

Of course Blizz is not a movie producer so they've hired out much of the work to get it made. Don't try to say that if the thing stinks, it's not Blizzard's fault.
    Legendary Pictures is shown to be the funding source.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    You listed Blizzard Entertainment yourself as a production company from IMDB, lol. How much of an idiot are you going to make of yourself to avoid admitting you were wrong? What's wrong with you?
    What's wrong with your reading comprehension. Read down the list to see Blizzard's participation as well as the contributions of the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legendary Pictures is shown to be the funding source.
    Nope.

Legendary is shown only to be one source of funding among others which must also include Blizz, and what you posted is not specific as to how much, what percentage, or if Blizz is on the hook to pay it back, (i.e., an advance against projected future sales) and so on. It's vague and says nothing about what deals or agreements have been made.

You've proved nothing but that you're looking for excuses for Blizz.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Zanno View Post
    OK, I have to comment on this...

The Blizzard cinematics take at least a year to produce, if not more. Sure, it's a smaller team than a feature length film would have, but we're talking about "minutes" of footage compared to hours. If Blizzard were to make a full length film using their cinematics team, it would take 25 years (5 mins of film per year times 25 years = 125mins = 2+ hours).
    You know whats strange with that argument? How they pump out all those CGI shorts for Overwatch in no time... ofc they are preproduced and released in bulk just now, but its still alot of material, which kinda still contradicts their statement of not being able to do them faster.

And regarding the whole movie CGI quality discussion.. you guys are really missing the point. Blizz is keeping the specs down, so it plays flawlessly even on older PCs.
    Last edited by saywhat; 2016-05-23 at 08:08 PM.

I'm just gonna come out and say it.

This movie looks freaking awesome and those who are bashing on the use of CGI are doing it just so they can be on that bandwagon with the "cool kids."

Quote Originally Posted by saywhat View Post
    You know whats strange with that argument? How they pump out all those CGI shorts for Overwatch in no time... ofc they are preproduced and released in bulk just now, but its still alot of material, which kinda still contradicts their statement of not being able to do them faster.

And regarding the whole movie CGI quality discussion.. you guys are really missing the point. Blizz is keeping the specs down, so it plays flawlessly even on older PCs.
    I'm pretty sure those CGI shorts were either started a year ago, or were made entirely with the game engine.

Nice joke about the specs. Honestly I'm not jarred by the CGI in this movie at all. I actually prefer it to what we got with Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
    Last edited by SMBComix; 2016-05-24 at 08:11 AM.