Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Or, in other words, you can't refute my arguments.

If you can, explain to me,

If morpheus from the matrix, would have been hispanic. would it change the story at all?

Hint: It wouldn't.

Therefore, my points stand. You can't deny facts.

- - - Updated - - -

again. I dont care what race someone makes a character. Aslong as it fits with the lore, I dont care. If it is to pander to a specific demographic however, that's bad.
    And how are you even supposed to know wether it's to pander to a specific demographic ? And even when it is the case, what's the difference once you have your hands on the game ? Sounds a lot like a made up issue. Also, if there is no black people in a game that is supposed to take place on planet earth, that is indeed pretty weird for instance.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2016-05-22 at 07:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    You are pathetic if you think skin color and country of origin is not part of of a character's background.
    Never said it didn't..

You are really trying too hard here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nevene View Post
    And how are you even supposed to know wether it's to pander to a specific demographic ? Sounds a lot like a made up issue.
    You will very *very* clearly see if something like that happends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never said it didn't..

- - - Updated - - -

So they characters are interesting because of their background, which includes skin color, but they aren't interesting because of skin color.

That's some impeccable logic dawg.

Deleted
    Never said it didn't..

- - - Updated - - -

How ? You'd need to guess it with crazy assumption to find out if that happened. Unless you'd be told about it.

Deleted
    So they characters are interesting because of their background, which includes skin color, but they aren't interesting because of skin color.

That's some impeccable logic dawg.
    They are interesting because of their backstory, despite the colour of their skin and country of origin.

Tracer could have just as easily been French, or Jamaican.

Wouldn't have changed it one goddamn bit.

Simply stating that I dont care about skin colour or country of origin means just that.

again
    Tracer could be from somewhere else, had a different skin colour. Point is,
    aslong as the story is there, and it works.

I don't give a shit where the character is from.

- - - Updated - - -

How ? You'd need to guess it with crazy assumption to find out if that happened.
    Lets make a game about ancient greek, and divide people up, have X amount of pansexuals, Y amount of furries, and other things that were in no way connected to that period in time, to make people feel at home, like they belong.

There you have diversity for diversitys sake.

It would not work.

Deleted
    They are interesting because of their backstory, despite the colour of their skin and country of origin.

Tracer could have just as easily been French, or Jamaican.

Wouldn't have changed it one goddamn bit.

Simply stating that I dont care about skin colour or country of origin means just that.

again
    Tracer could be from somewhere else, had a different skin colour. Point is,
    aslong as the story is there, and it works.

I don't give a shit where the character is from.
    Isn't being french or jamaican or whatever a part of a character's background ? It would definitely not be the same if Tracer was french, her british accent and the Union Jack on her sleeve would feel out of place. Tracer being british is definitely an important part of the character that is strongly emphasized.

Deleted
    Isn't being french or jamaican or whatever a part of a character's background ? It would definitely not be the same if Tracer was french, her british accent and the Union Jack on her sleeve would feel out of place.
    French speaker, replace with french symbol exchange British for french. Done. If it fits, good, the character works. If it doesn't wasn't meant to be.

Tracer could have also been an obese black chick from the UK. aslong as the story works. I dont care

Is this really what it comes down to.. You not being able to refute OP's argument so you just call him a homophobe?
    Do I have to? I mean he has nothing against them as long as they stay away from him, right?
    If he doesn't care about the lore then why does it matter what sexual orientation the heroes have?

Oh and he's a homophobe.

Deleted
    French speaker, replace with french symbol exchange British for french. Done. If it fits, good, the character works. If it doesn't wasn't meant to be.

Tracer could have also been an obese black chick from the UK. aslong as the story works. I dont care
    As long as the universe is fictional or semi fictional it's always going to work, because about everything in such an universe is drawn from the imagination of its creators. It would only become an issue if the game claimed to be an exact reconstruction of real events, which never happens - barely any game holds such claims.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2016-05-22 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Whee coginitive dissonance blah.
    Whee meaningless comments blah. Isn't this fun? Sorry if I actually have an intellect.

It's more like "I don't care as long as it isn't tokenism and you don't push your asshole politics onto me."
    That's what people always claim, but isn't it strange how they can always manage to fit any example into this exception? This is thread #2 on the exact same topic within the last 24 hours, both about a game where we've never even known the characters any other way than they are and yet we have hundreds of cumulative replies bitching. I guess going for diversity in the first place must be "asshole politics," but then that only reinforces my original point. Despite your "helpful" correction, sounds an awful lot like group 3.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

7+ Year Old Account
    You are pathetic if you think skin color and country of origin is not part of of a character's background.
    the point is, it should not be that important.
    you should like or dislike a character because of his/her actions, his/her story, his/her personality.
    and not because, lets take lucio, you dont like black people so you dislike lucio because he is black.

Formerly known as Arafal

There is only one reason representation matters:

As children grow up, when they see media dominated by white brown haired straight guys, they take this as being "normal." So when they don't share these qualities, they feel "abnormal," which when mixed with other environmental influences and a lack of real education, can lead to an unhealthy self image.

That's it. That's the issue. The rest is personal ego crap.

Now that said, environmental influences and a good education can actually negate an unhealthy self image from forming. If you've got good parents who tell you "yeah you're different but big shit, you are not defined by your video games, so play it for fun and not to discover who you are" then you're good. And that's the issue. Kids are feeling entitled and greedy and everyone goes easy on them turning them into sensitive brats. So instead of maturing kids taking responsibility for how they feel and changing their perceptions, they want to change the environment around them to make themselves feel better. Thus, you have the so called "SJW" stuff, college safe zones, and gamers protesting representation. The media and government play into it, because a citizen who blames everyone else for their problems is easy to control.

As a gay, white, overweight, hairy, bearded, spiritual, conspiracy loving casual gaming banker, I don't need representation for any of what I described. Because NONE of those things define how unique and awesome I am. However, I LOVE representation, for the aesthetics. More options are FUN, and we play video games to have FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    Whee meaningless comments blah. Isn't this fun? Sorry if I actually have an intellect.
    A wise man once said: you think you do, but you don't.

I guess going for diversity in the first place must be "asshole politics,"
    Exactly, that's what it is. It's a disingenuous and bigot agenda that seeks to enforce social engineering in the most perfidious ways and in the weirdest places. A movement of bellicose whackos who, to escape their self-doubts, have convinced themselves they're righter that right, and holier than everyone else.

but then that only reinforces my original point. Despite your "helpful" correction, sounds an awful lot like group 3.
    Anything reinforces "your point", because in your own little echo chamber than turns all the rights to wrongs, you're just permanently full of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I dont mind what colour, gender or sexuality the character is that im playing.

I have a slight dislike when its shoved in my face and feeling less like its something that is a part of them as a whole - but more the whole of the character. I havent slept in a while so probably didnt phrase that correctly but meh, deleting is hard.

This thread reminds me that people have too much free time if they have time to bitch about something as senseless as this, like most threads on forums.

you know, it's easy to not care, when you actually don't care about it. also, totally a forbidden topic /jumpsoff

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Imagine you're a girl.. and you want to play something cool and awesome.
    But the game you play only has men, because men are awesome and women should do the dishes.
    That'd quickly make you feel crap.
    That's not the game dev's fault, and they have no obligation to pander to your outlandish needs of "representation".

That just comes off as selfish. "Oh, this game doesn't have any characters to 'represent' my sex/race/nationality. This is a problem!!" like, seriously what the fuck

I don't "feel like crap" because there aren't many blonde-haired nerds in videogames. I don't play videogames in order to have them pander to my taste in characters. If the character is interesting, I don't give a shit what gender it is, or what its skin color is, or where it was born.

How about you try and read into what I am saying. Or actually read my previous posts instead of spouting nonsense.

It makes you look pathetic.

I wil try and make this as simple as possible for you;

I dont give a fuck, if lucio is black
    I don't give a fuck that tracer is white
    I don't give a fuck that torbjörn is swedish
    I don't give a fuck that Hanzo is Japanese.
    I don't give a fuck that Symmetra is Indian.

These characters, ARE NOT interesting based on their skin colour, or country of origin
    They ARE however, interesting because of the story based around them, and what they have gone through.
    Precisely.

I don't like Lucio because he's black, I like him because he's full of energy and always upbeat.

I don't like Tracer because she's white, I like her because she's got that kind of endearing cockiness to her, without being too obnoxious.

I don't like Torbjörn because he's Swedish, I like him because he's this tough and hardened engineer that builds death machines!

etc. etc.

IMO, to claim that the most interesting thing about a person is their race, is pretty racist in itself because it takes that whole character and reduces it down to "they're black" or "they're russian".
    Last edited by anon5123; 2016-05-22 at 08:43 PM.

I don't know if certain types of traits were included for OW characters (probably), but it doesn't really matter since the different races fit because of the international setting. Anything else like their sexual orientation is pointless pandering to SJWs. I mean, yeah, Zarya obviously munches on some carpet every now and then, but there is no need for Blizzard to include it in her character bio and make it a huge part of her character.

I mean, yeah, Zarya obviously munches on some carpet every now and then, but there is no need for Blizzard to include it in her character bio and make it a huge part of her character.
    /grapple hook

NO! no. that is pure fucking projection my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    I mean, yeah, Zarya obviously munches on some carpet every now and then, but there is no need for Blizzard to include it in her character bio and make it a huge part of her character.
    Nice headcanon

But I agree, yeah. I don't know why people are so desperate to have "openly gay" characters. If you make a big, grand scene out of the fact that a character is homosexual, it's only going to reinforce the idea that homosexuality is abnormal, that being gay in itself is noteworthy. If we stop making a big deal out of homosexuality, people will stop treating it like it's a big deal, and it'll become normal.

It should be handled in a nonchalant way, just like how that one Captain Underpants book did it. Just make an off-hand mention of it or something. No need to scream "HEY EVERYONE THIS CHARACTER IS GAY! LOOK, THEY'RE GAY!"