Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 62 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    What about 1440p? I'm just looking for 60fps.
    You'll be fine either way, games are mostly poorly optimized at the CPU side and DX12/Vulkan are here to eliminate the overhead. Even then you can always OC your CPU just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    You'll be fine either way, games are mostly poorly optimized at the CPU side and DX12/Vulkan are here to eliminate the overhead. Even then you can always OC your CPU just to be sure.
    Dx12 is operating system and Gpu related right? Not CPU? Btw, thanks for answering all the questions.

Dx12 is operating system and Gpu related right? Not CPU? Btw, thanks for answering all the questions.
    It is CPU related considering it makes draw call execution a MT task. It also reduces overhead, so the same game with the same FPS will have slightly lower CPU utilization and it's less likely to run into a CPU bottleneck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    It is CPU related considering it makes draw call execution a MT task. It also reduces overhead, so the same game with the same FPS will have slightly lower CPU utilization and it's less likely to run into a CPU bottleneck.
    That's not what he's asking.

Yes DX12 is linked to your Operating System and GPU which is Windows 10 only.
    Of course as Noctifer616 states there are CPU gains as well but no the only dependencies are GPU and OS, nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    DX12 only works with Windows 10, I guess OS related. DX12 is an API that communicates to the GPU driver which then goes to the GPU. tl;dr DX12 is related to the GPU. There's nothing stopping DX12 from working with other OS's other than MS saying so.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did anyone link the OC3D/TTL video in the thread? This thread is easily one of the most active post-accruing threads the computer forums has seen in years, so I'm going to link the video anyways, just in case. I'm not going back the several pages since I was last in here to make sure. (I will still however glare at people who link a video/image in a 1 or 2 page thread that's already been linked because that's actually lazy!)

I like it, once again, he has a chat with you while you sip tea/coffee/whatever else and maybe have a bite to eat. He has a better outlook on this card than others, he's not all gold stars about it, but he's also not straight flaming the card. And for the effort he made to get the card sooner - go watch THAT video, I got a lot of respect for him. It's really a shame so many hate on him JUST BECAUSE he rambles a bit - he's trying to give his honest thoughts instead of having someone else do all the work, script a very short this this and that 3 minute video and be done with it. I've always gotten TONS more important and useful information from his videos than others... Check it out.

He managed to get the GPU to not throttle at 83 Celsius (ohmygod CHANGE THE SETTINGS idiots!) and OC'd his specimen to 2100MHz... People bitching are just bitching because they either don't have the know-how or don't even have one to actually test it for themselves! Like that one guy someone linked to earlier in the thread, who specifically stated in his video how he doesn't have a card. Why are we valuing his thoughts so much, then?!

TTL also thinks that most anyone will be able to get a 2000MHz+ OC out of this thing, with little to no experience overclocking.

Maybe the 1080 isn't what we all expected it to be, however it's better I think than a lot of what the flamers are saying.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

its a pretty great card

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    He managed to get the GPU to not throttle at 83 Celsius (ohmygod CHANGE THE SETTINGS idiots!) and OC'd his specimen to 2100MHz... People bitching are just bitching because they either don't have the know-how or don't even have one to actually test it for themselves!
    It would have been nice if he actually showed us a real time video of the card running and temps. Cause again, running a benchmark for only 4 minutes won't show it throttle. The people that did have the card claimed their limit wasn't heat, but voltage. And since nobody can mess with the BIOS on these cards yet, you're limited to what the BIOS allows. And VRM temps seem to be the limiting factor as well, but nothing that can't be easily solved.

We also know it can maintain a 2Ghz+ clock with the fan running at max. It's that max running fan that concerns people.
    Like that one guy someone linked to earlier in the thread, who specifically stated in his video how he doesn't have a card. Why are we valuing his thoughts so much, then?!
    Cause he doesn't have a bias and he's not wrong. Even if he doesn't have the card, it doesn't mean the data isn't there. He combed through every benchmark available online and came to his own conclusion. Just like we looked at all the benchmarks and came to our own conclusions as well. Cause we don't have a 1080, so why would anyone listen to us?
    TTL also thinks that most anyone will be able to get a 2000MHz+ OC out of this thing, with little to no experience overclocking.
    That's a hell of a conclusion for just having one 1080. I hope so, but remember Nvidia supplied them with review samples. Who's to say those cards aren't hand picked? Would be stupid for Nvidia not too.
    Maybe the 1080 isn't what we all expected it to be, however it's better I think than a lot of what the flamers are saying.
    The issues with the 1080 is the $100 extra "Founders Edition" and that a new Pascal architecture running on 16nm FinFET doesn't seem all that impressive. No doubt it's the fastest card on the market, but is it worth it? Especially with the high gouging price that's likely to last for a while, unless AMD comes up with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The issues with the 1080 is the $100 extra "Founders Edition" and that a new Pascal architecture running on 16nm FinFET doesn't seem all that impressive. No doubt it's the fastest card on the market, but is it worth it? Especially with the high gouging price that's likely to last for a while, unless AMD comes up with something.
    This part made me chuckle. Sorry I mean in a timely manner of course.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    AMD isn't going to have anything close until Vega, which isn't being unveiled (and who knows about availability after that) until October. Polaris 10 is looking more like it will be more of a mainstream competitor and not a direct one to even the 1070, and definitely not the 1080. Looking like Polaris 10 will be somewhat slower than the 1070 for $80-$100 less than the 1070's MSRP. So they are kind of going after different niches right now. The 1080ti will be announced around the time Vega is most likely, so the whole situation puts AMD in a rough spot unless they pull out a major surprise. And by major surprise I mean something confirmed by third-party in-hand reviews and not marketing promises from AMD. They've done plenty of those marketing claims with big promises and almost always reality has been far more underwhelming.

As for the FE NVidia tax, I don't see it as big of a deal as everyone else seems to. Simply wait. Anyone who ever pays more than MSRP for *anything*, whether it's direct, from a retailer, or off an Ebay flipper...is wasting their money IMO. If it takes 2 months for prices to reach MSRP because early adopters are wacky and wanting bragging rights, I just look at it as the actual release is in 2 months. Even paying MSRP is a bad deal, but more than MSRP...not something I will ever do.

~snip~

Infracted - Don't post memes, especially without something useful to say.
    Last edited by chazus; 2016-05-24 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    its a pretty great card
    From everything I've seen, I will have to disagree. The chip seems great, the FE edition not so much.

Most buying this FE card aren't tech savvy, so they probably won't even know they have to change the fan curve and max temp settings to get the same performance that the benchmarks are showing.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2016-05-23 at 12:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    https://media.makeameme.org/created/AMD-rebrands-a.jpg
    Nvidia is not exactly rebranding with the 1000s, but it's pretty much higher clocked Maxwell 16nm edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's just FE. The E stands for edition already. I think there are plenty of tech savvy people who will buy it just to have the latest and greatest. And I wouldn't OC a FE unless I put a waterblock on it.
    Which has always been the point of Reference Cards, custom loop goodness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Nvidia is not exactly rebranding with the 1000s, but it's pretty much higher clocked Maxwell 16nm edition.
    The Joke Sniper makes an appearance.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-05-23 at 12:09 AM.

Cool, so I just got the green light from the wife to get a brand new system. I suppose I could still use some parts I have like ram, and the hard drives, but this allows me to get a i7 6700k. My previous rig of an i5 4670k and a gtx 770(upgraded to 970 about a year later) has served me well. It's been about 2-3 years. Albeit, I expect the newer rig to last longer. I made some small mitakes building my pc that I won't make again.

Anyone know when the other brands like msi, strix models of the 1080 will come out? I hope not too long, I'm looking to build in about a month.

Cool, so I just got the green light from the wife to get a brand new system. I suppose I could still use some parts I have like ram, and the hard drives, but this allows me to get a i7 6700k. My previous rig of an i5 4670k and a gtx 770(upgraded to 970 about a year later) has served me well. It's been about 2-3 years. Albeit, I expect the newer rig to last longer. I made some small mitakes building my pc that I won't make again.

Anyone know when the other brands like msi, strix models of the 1080 will come out? I hope not too long, I'm looking to build in about a month.
    I'd say within a month of release or sooner

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Pretty much. It's the only reason I bought a reference 980, so I could slap a waterblock on it and watch it stay frosty.
    Would you have done it if that reference 980 was more expensive than a custom card plus a fullcover block?

would a 1080 be an overkill for a 1080p monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by zrvnavi View Post
    would a 1080 be an overkill for a 1080p monitor?
    No, it's perfect 1080 means it can run a 1080p monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    No, it's perfect 1080 means it can run a 1080p monitor.
    Now now, someone might actually fall for that.