Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    But you agreed to all of this when you hit "accept" when you set up Windows 7.
    What you fear about Windows 10 is all hype and fear mongering....stop.

Unless you are doing alot of illegal activity on your PC, then just upgrade...if you are doing illegal shit, then get off the forums of gaming sites and call an attorney.
    I grow ENDLESSLY TIRED of people who think that anything you want to keep secret is necessarily something illegal. Stop saying that, you monkey (pun intended)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Minesweeperchampion View Post
    I always chose the do not upgrade when the windows 10 popup showed up, but they finally decided to ignore me a couple days ago and waste 3 hours of my time installing without permission.

I let the process complete rather than powering off for fear of corrupting my files but when it was finally finished I simply said no, absolutely not. When presented with the terms and conditions I clicked I do not agree and I clicked again that I was sure I do not agree and then it proceeded to spend another 15 minutes uninstalling itself and restoring my previous system.

I worry it will try and install itself again without my permission at some god awful time but for now I still do not have Windows10.
    You can do that? That's pretty neat actually lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Welcome to Windows™ we make you update your stuff without question and we spy on you. I updated to windows 10 on my own accord though, I really like it so far it's a slightly better windows 7 but they moved around quite a lot of stuff they never needed to move, but hey not too bad.
    Welcome to 2006™. A bit of history for the kids. Microsoft was more powerful than Google and Apple combined. They came up with the idea of trusted™ computing platform and have had the ability to spy on everything on your computer for about 10 years. If there was a time where you were going to just hand all your shit over to a company because of spying, and lets be fair now, Apple, Google and anyone else who has a website is trying to spy on you, MS aint the worse. They've had access to your shit for 10 years now and they haven't really abused it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Welcome to 2006™. A bit of history for the kids. Microsoft was more powerful than Google and Apple combined. They came up with the idea of trusted™ computing platform and have had the ability to spy on everything on your computer for about 10 years. If there was a time where you were going to just hand all your shit over to a company because of spying, and lets be fair now, Apple, Google and anyone else who has a website is trying to spy on you, MS aint the worse. They've had access to your shit for 10 years now and they haven't really abused it.
    That's sortta right. Windows 10 is quite a bit worse though and the spying is also vastly more obvious.

But it's true that Microsoft and Google are spying bastards.

Apple, on the other hand... yes, they do offer telemetry but you have to opt into it, not out of it, and OS X/iOS generally goes to pretty great lengths not upload your files and to tell you IMMEDIATELY the first time you use something that something you're doing might be uploaded and how to disable it.

Just recently Apple added Siri integration into Spotlight, and the first thing I saw on my screen when I updated was "look what we've added. Go into System Settings and disable this checkbox if you wanna get rid of it" and there even was a shortcut to get rid of it.

And let's not even pretend that Apple spies on your personal files. If they did, we wouldn't have had all the recent controversies surrounding police trying to get access to phone contents and being unable to.

That's a pretty far cry from what MS is doing.

Canonical and RedHat aren't spying either. (Canonical did, briefly, but no more)

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Also the interface that simply looks more modern, but whatever.
    But everyone is all in to retro now. They don't want a modern looking interface, they want a vintage one. Luckily, you can install classic shell easily, even right there on ninite, to give it that retro look.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    That's sortta right. Windows 10 is quite a bit worse though and the spying is also vastly more obvious.
    More obvious? Yes. Worse? Nope, about the same really.

That's the whole thing is, they just opened up about it and let people know what they were doing. They were already doing all this privacy stuff. They already do it on W7/8/8.1 and then with 10 they just told us they were doing it. That's the only real difference. Guess they should have just left us in the dark.

Win10>all its faster than 7, why wouldn't you update?

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 sure keeps me busy when people bring their computers to me after it forcefully installed itself on the machine.

"Downgrading" from Win 10 to Win 7 all day, every day. Oh well, at least I have something to do.

Here's the truth about privacy. It doesn't exist. Nearly every country in the world has some power that can come wreck everything you have because they want to. Windows has been collecting data from their users since the 90's.
    Who really has things they need to hide and the inability to do so? People who deserve to go to jail.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    More obvious? Yes. Worse? Nope, about the same really.

That's the whole thing is, they just opened up about it and let people know what they were doing. They were already doing all this privacy stuff. They already do it on W7/8/8.1 and then with 10 they just told us they were doing it. That's the only real difference. Guess they should have just left us in the dark.
    Nahh it definitely got worse. Not only did they make it more difficult to remove it, they also centralized it, consolidated it, and expanded it to such lengths that it sends individual keystrokes. They literally installed a keylogger.

I actually asked Microsoft about this (I visited them a week ago in Lyngby, Denmark) and said the following to their chief of security in MSDN Denmark:
    A lot of people are ignorant about computers. As systems designers, you must embrace this fact by designing a system that is welcoming and useful for people who do not undestand the inner workings of it.

If people get the perception or the impression that the system is spying on you, it doesn't actually matter whether it really is or not. If people think it does, they're going to treat the system and its provider as if it does.

I ended up asking him why he doesn't simply offer a toggle that switches it off entirely and ask the user up-front about it when they open Windows for the first time, similar to what Apple does.

His answer was that too many would opt out and then we'd get Windows Vista scale instability all over again, so they have made it deliberately near impossible to disable. though it IS possible for corporate users. (With some specific tweaks in group policy on the professional edition)

I then said:
    When people see a feature included for a benefit they are not quite clear about which they cannot turn off, they grow naturally suspicious and will seek out the biggest tin-foil-hat info they can find. He understood that, but this was, apparently, a compromise they were unwilling to make. He personally thought that stability was more important than the data they were uploading. He actually said that they didn't want a repeat of Windows Vista.

Therefore they have decided to create tons of seminars and an information campaign to inform people. I politely wished him good luck, because he's going to need it after people have equipped their tinfoil hats.

On the plus side, this exchange was very friendly and polite, and he seemed very sincere; which was nice.
    Last edited by Ishayu; 2016-05-23 at 02:41 PM.

You guys need anti-beacon on your PC great window 10 tool
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    yes it does, you have to uncheck install optional updates moron.
    No it does NOT....... My brothers auto update was off and still win10 installed it self and it`s the same thing that is happening to allot of people.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    http://wccftech.com/microsoft-is-bac...windows-7-8-1/

Read that and realize why it's doing so.

http://www.linuxmint.com and Wine. Tux won't force anything on you, unlike Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Windows 10 sure keeps me busy when people bring their computers to me after it forcefully installed itself on the machine.
    "Downgrading" from Win 10 to Win 7 all day, every day. Oh well, at least I have something to do.
    Same here. I've reverted + installed GWX Control Panel for quite a few people over the last couple of weeks. At least the rollback process is usually pretty quick and simple. Only time I've had a major problem with it was when someone had a weird "half baked" Windows 10 install that didn't complete properly or something (all sorts of errors and wouldn't even boot properly by the end). And once someone waited until after the 30 days were over to call me. I just had to reformat/reinstall to get the old OS back in those cases.

Luckily, those cases were both old people who didn't really do anything but go online to check stuff like email/news/weather, so the old nuke and pave wasn't a long, drawn-out process for them.

But other than that, rolling back to whatever OS they had before usually takes like....15 minutes from what I've seen, even on a slower system.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-05-25 at 01:02 PM.