Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Rex are still only available by spending real cash. Someone must whip out their credit card in order to unlock the gear slots. Trading your platinum for an equivalent of real cash is semantics. It's also a massively inferior option, as most new players will absolutely not have enough platinum to make those purchases. Especially not with the obscene crafting costs.

In any realistic scenario for someone trying out Nightmare Tide, most players will be forced into purchasing the unlocks with credits. Anyone who claims otherwise is being dishonest.
    I was easily able to make enough for one REX just going from 60-65. If you think crafting is expensive, don't craft, there is no reason to do so other than fun, if you find crafting fun. In most cases I have checked, it is far cheaper to buy the end products off the AH rather than buy the materials and make it yourself. You could argue that you could gather the mats yourself, but the result of that is you'd get more for your mats selling them on the AH and then buying whatever you were going to make. Crafting is a joke in Rift and there are no real incentives to even level it up, unlike in WoW where you really HAVE to level 2 professions because they affect your stats.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    You mean exactly like it works in WoW, somebody has to buy that $20 token and that's in a Pay to play game

I like when people think a game runs on unicorn,rainbows and Devs working for free, if having to pay for something with real money upsets you so much just think of it as your "sub" and how much money you have saved from playing Rift for free for months, i mean you're playing WoW now, right? i bet you think it's great value for your monthly sub to get no content for 14 months...twice between two Expansions.
    1) Those tokens are only used to purchase a subscription. You know, everyone on the same playing field. No need to nickel and dime for individual items to get ahead. Once again, it's absolutely hilarious that you cannot make the distinction.

2) Having to pay for a game doesn't bother me. Of course you still miss this concept because you are oblivious, perhaps willingly blind.

3) No, I don't think WoW is a good value at the moment. I tried the game out, blew away parses and mythic encounters at very low item levels, and wasn't impressed with the difficulty of the game. I quit last September, came back a bit this year but quit again. The game just isn't for me. I do find it curious that you jump to this conclusion when I haven't made any claim for WoW's value. Rift raiding was/is far superior to WoW's. But there is also something to say about this "content" being released by Trion. The remaining raiding community did not want a rehashed Hammerknell Fortress, but that's what we received. We didn't want Tyrant's Forge, but that's what we received. By the time Mind of Madness released, the game had lost many more of its top players. And from everything I've heard, it was a disaster. Rift has always released more content than World of Warcraft. I will never deny this. Unfortunately, that focus on pumping out quality content has shifted to pumping out new tiers every 6 months, even if it means recycling existing raids. That's not much to brag about, and in fact helped to ruin the raiding community. Of course, you wouldn't realize this, because you are not a raider.

I like when people think a game runs on unicorn,rainbows and Devs working for free
    You're an utter fool if you believe this is the argument at hand. I almost pity you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I was easily able to make enough for one REX just going from 60-65. If you think crafting is expensive, don't craft, there is no reason to do so other than fun, if you find crafting fun. In most cases I have checked, it is far cheaper to buy the end products off the AH rather than buy the materials and make it yourself. You could argue that you could gather the mats yourself, but the result of that is you'd get more for your mats selling them on the AH and then buying whatever you were going to make. Crafting is a joke in Rift and there are no real incentives to even level it up, unlike in WoW where you really HAVE to level 2 professions because they affect your stats.
    Professions have no impact on your personal stats in World of Warcraft. Maybe they did in the past, but not when I played.

Edit: Sure, one rex. And what is that one rex going to accomplish if you lack additional souls, equipment slots and more?

In any realistic scenario for someone trying out Nightmare Tide, most players will be forced into purchasing the unlocks with credits. Anyone who claims otherwise is being dishonest.
    Its worth pointing out that Earrings now account for a huge chunk of your characters stats. I'm using a purple one from an Expert drop and one I got from an IA goodie bag, with the runes and orbs on they give me a combined total of over 750 Int. My chest piece, also an Expert purple, on the other hand gives a little over 300. You're doing yourself a massive diservice by not having them unlocked when they're offering up that kind of extra power.

Its the kind of gear gap thats only going to get larger over time as better gear is availible. I don't know how Trion are going to handle it during any future expansions, you either balance around people not having them ensuring its too easy for those that do, or balance around everyone having them and exclude anyone without from your game content. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I was easily able to make enough for one REX just going from 60-65.
    On EU shards REX is around 4k for one. For someone without access to the AH, that is an extreme amount of plat to come by. There are things you can do to make the plat you need, but they're neither fast nor easy.

Professions have no impact on your personal stats in World of Warcraft. Maybe they did in the past, but not when I played.

Edit: Sure, one rex. And what is that one rex going to accomplish if you lack additional souls, equipment slots and more?
    When did you last play? I remember in Cataclysm and I think even in MoP if you were a JC, there were gems that you can make that had increased stats that only JCers could use. Tailors had something similar for capes and enchanters had enchants they could only put on their own gear. Miners got stat boosts to Sta which was great for tanks. Basically, if you did not have 2 professions maxxed out, your stats could never be as high as someone who did.

Yeah, 1 REX in 2 weeks of very casual playing in which I also leveled from 60-65. If I played more like I used to, I could easily make 1 REX per week. At 3 REX to unlock PW:W and Earrings, that's really not bad at all. Granted I owned Vanilla Rift and bough SL upon release, so things like bag slots and AH are all already unlocked for me. I also already bought the SL and NT souls packs, with plat from a gifter back when I used to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Those tokens are only used to purchase a subscription. You know, everyone on the same playing field. No need to nickel and dime for individual items to get ahead.
    Correct me if i'm wrong as i haven't touched WoW in nearly 6 years, aren't there achievements to collect mounts and pets and you can't get these achievements at the high end without buying mounts or pets from the WoW store? checking on their shop i see 10 mounts at €20 each and 11 pets at €10 a piece.

Now i know a 'pro' like yourself who thinks raiding is all an MMO is only about but some people take collecting pets and mounts seriously, so what do you think about people paying
    nickel and dime for individual items to get ahead.
    Exact same thing as you claim for Rift, for someone who doesn't play anymore you seem a bit obsessed with how the game is or how it's heading, why should it bother you? you stopped playing, it would be like me hanging out in the different WoW subsections preaching about don't play it or hanging out in the SW:ToR section, the GW2 section, eh, no? i play Rift so i keep to this section, no point embarrassing myself about games i don't play or no longer play.

7+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if i'm wrong as i haven't touched WoW in nearly 6 years, aren't there achievements to collect mounts and pets and you can't get these achievements at the high end without buying mounts or pets from the WoW store? checking on their shop i see 10 mounts at €20 each and 11 pets at €10 a piece.

Now i know a 'pro' like yourself who thinks raiding is all an MMO is only about but some people take collecting pets and mounts seriously, so what do you think about people paying Exact same thing as you claim for Rift, for someone who doesn't play anymore you seem a bit obsessed with how the game is or how it's heading, why should it bother you? you stopped playing, it would be like me hanging out in the different WoW subsections preaching about don't play it or hanging out in the SW:ToR section, the GW2 section, eh, no? i play Rift so i keep to this section, no point embarrassing myself about games i don't play or no longer play.
    No, you merely embarrass yourself by preaching Rift. No need to mention other games.

Now i know a 'pro' like yourself who thinks raiding is all an MMO is only about but some people take collecting pets and mounts seriously, so what do you think about people paying Exact same thing as you claim for Rift, for someone who doesn't play anymore you seem a bit obsessed with how the game is or how it's heading, why should it bother you? you stopped playing, it would be like me hanging out in the different WoW subsections preaching about don't play it or hanging out in the SW:ToR section, the GW2 section, eh, no? i play Rift so i keep to this section, no point embarrassing myself about games i don't play or no longer play.
    I never bothered with those achievements, but I don't think you are 1, 2, 3, etc (however many pets/mounts can be bought on the store) away from getting the achievement(s) finished.

In MMOs with stats on gear the primary objective of the game IS raiding/dungeons. If you play an MMO with stats on gear (see: almost all MMOs) and don't raid (since you seem to be alluding to it not being what the games primary objective is) that's like buying a car for nothing more than to be able to use it as a testbed to learn how to replace parts on it.

Also, I never understood why people said things like "herp derp, y u commenting on this if you don't have an interest in it". To me, 9/10 I'm not actively looking at forums and I'll click on one of the 7 latest threads on the homepage if the title grabbed me. Just sayin'. :-/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I never bothered with those achievements, but I don't think you are 1, 2, 3, etc (however many pets/mounts can be bought on the store) away from getting the achievement(s) finished.

In MMOs with stats on gear the primary objective of the game IS raiding/dungeons. If you play an MMO with stats on gear (see: almost all MMOs) and don't raid (since you seem to be alluding to it not being what the games primary objective is) that's like buying a car for nothing more than to be able to use it as a testbed to learn how to replace parts on it.

Also, I never understood why people said things like "herp derp, y u commenting on this if you don't have an interest in it". To me, 9/10 I'm not actively looking at forums and I'll click on one of the 7 latest threads on the homepage if the title grabbed me. Just sayin'. :-/
    I comment because Rift was all I played from 2011 to 2015. I contributed to the development of the game in ways, and improved community class knowledge; Rift was all I did during my free time.

I care about these issues because the mistakes must not happen again, be it in Rift or other MMOs. To accept all of these shortcomings as "well, devs have to eat," is precisely why they will never get fixed. Slipmat and others only serve as a detriment to the gaming community.

If the time comes when Trion decides to take these matters seriously, I would love to return home. To me Rift is still the best MMO, but it's too painful seeing such potential wasted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I contributed to the development of the game in ways
    Bwahahahahah, i'm sorry, that's just too funny to read, the amount of hate you got and caused was unreal, nobody missed you leaving, nobody misses you, same for me, nobody would care or even notice if i stopped playing, you seem to think the game can't survive without you, and as for this?:

Slipmat and others only serve as a detriment to the gaming community.
    Please, elaborate more, tell everyone how I as a normal gamer with no ties to anyone in Trion, don't have any Devs on speed dial, on Skype, please, tell me what i'm doing wrong and how i'm a "detriment" to the game

I comment because Rift was all I played from 2011 to 2015. I contributed to the development of the game in ways, and improved community class knowledge; Rift was all I did during my free time.

I care about these issues because the mistakes must not happen again, be it in Rift or other MMOs. To accept all of these shortcomings as "well, devs have to eat," is precisely why they will never get fixed. Slipmat and others only serve as a detriment to the gaming community.

If the time comes when Trion decides to take these matters seriously, I would love to return home. To me Rift is still the best MMO, but it's too painful seeing such potential wasted.
    In reality, if you buy the expansion DLCs and pay for Patron status how is it any different from how it was before?

7+ Year Old Account
    Bwahahahahah, i'm sorry, that's just too funny to read, the amount of hate you got and caused was unreal, nobody missed you leaving, nobody misses you, same for me, nobody would care or even notice if i stopped playing, you seem to think the game can't survive without you, and as for this?:
    Poor slipmat. True colors on display.

Please, elaborate more, tell everyone how I as a normal gamer with no ties to anyone in Trion, don't have any Devs on speed dial, on Skype, please, tell me what i'm doing wrong and how i'm a "detriment" to the game
    The thing is you are over-passionate about a game that has massive flaws and that simply doesnt help..When something is massively flawed it needs to be countered, not supported.

I used to love the game the first 3 months when it came out and then slowly started hating it by the time it hit around 9 months and gave up 4-5 months after that around total of 15-16 months in Rift pretty much.

The game had a few massive flaws then and despite people leaving they simple kept increasing the flaws.

1)The performance of the engine.

2)The fact they didnt listen to basic stuff on PTR because they have stubborn developers, i personally spoke with the Rogue developer a few times..Alion wasnt it? At least he listened and fixed tons of stuff i kept finding on PTR back then about Rogues but dear god stubborn apes and look at their game now.

And that forum moderator, what was his name? Elrar? Something similar. Good guy too.

And apparently since i stopped playing they have locked gear slots now ? Earrings right? Have been reading stuff on these forums since forever since i really cared about the game but i refuse to restart simply for the reason i stopped.

1)Not enough people.

2)They still dont listen.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-05-21 at 01:58 AM.

I have tried to play Rift so much but can't get over how terrible the camera is and how choppy all the animations are the lack of addons etc. Games been out for how long and hasn't gotten better.

Game isn't gonna survive for another 5 years anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaikar View Post
    I have tried to play Rift so much but can't get over how terrible the camera is and how choppy all the animations are the lack of addons etc. Games been out for how long and hasn't gotten better.
    Rift has a lot of bad things but lack of addons is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Game isn't gonna survive for another 5 years anyway.
    Eh, I wouldn't be too surprised. Age of Conan just hit its 8th anniversary, so there's no reason that Rift can't keep chugging for quite a while, especially with reduced support if the games financials slip.

Its extremely rare that MMO's outright "die" as such. They usually last for a good number of years in maintainance mode while still earning a small profit. They do slowly bleed to death, especially with no new content being added however. Rift is probably going to share this fate with any number of current MMO's on the market right now. Will it be soon? Probably not, but I don't see Trion pulling the plug on it any time soon so its going to die a slow, lingering death along with all of its competitors.

If there are still enough dedicated players to keep new raiding content being developed 5 years fron now is a more interesting question, I'd lean towards no given the current trends, but who knows. Trion may have something up their sleeves.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. There are far more pets available in-world than you would ever need for an achievement, and you can completely get the mount achievements without any store bought mounts.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Two can play this game you know and you're perfectly aware that you can log in to Rift and play from level 1 to 65 absolutely for free, all the game play content is there, heck if i dropped Patron right now i lose access to......nothing, nada, zilch, the whole game World is still there to me, stop paying your WoW sub and you lose....oh everything, can't even get to your char select screen.
    The thing with wow is, other than the box price, its 100x easier to buy a sub using in game currency. I played rift for 1st year of Nightmare Tide, trust me with the same amount of time and effort of getting x2 REX, u can buy almost 12 months of game time for WoW (if your on US) i swear im not even exaggerating, if you are really casual u can even level 3 characters and log in 5-10 mins a day each and u are guaranteed a gametime. Farming 2x rex for a patron sub, or farming plat for basic raiding needs is a nightmare.

Ive only been back to WoW for 8 months, the amount of gold i earned in that time is enough to buy me gametime for 7 years, just doing garrisons on 4 toons, casually selling raid carries 4 hrs a week and im not even on a top 500 guild. On rift there arent opportunities like that, even if i played double the hours on rift and raiding on a top guild its just impossible for me not to spend money on the store just to meet my basic raiding needs. Some of those souls and the NT expansion pack is not even optional if you want to stay competitive.

WoW just feels more f2p than rift, in rifts current state, and i quit rift on our 1st akylios kill june 2015, and i keep hearing the paywall is worst now
    Last edited by Yizu; 2016-05-22 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    WoW just feels more f2p than rift, in rifts current state, and i quit rift on our 1st akylios kill june 2015, and i keep hearing the paywall is worst now
    I wouldn't say WoW feels F2P at all, though neither does Rift. WoW is at least up front about the fact that it is P2P though whereas Rift tries to hide behind this F2P mask, but if you do play as F2P, you quickly realize that you are severely limited on a free account.