Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I bought myself a motorcycle and my dad is freaking out. He keeps saying that I will kill myself. I don't know what to tell him in order to calm him down. My mom is not worried too much but my dad is out of control. What do you guys think? Is he justified in his reaction?
    You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me guess, your dad is white and straight male? Patriarchy, get rid of that cis gender racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck, and remember, you can be the best rider in the world and still end up a stain on road.
    You will lose every encounter with anything bigger than a segway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    I always take the approach on the road "If they can hit you, they will hit you."

Assume everybody else on the road is a moron and doesn't care about anything.
    Also this. We're all fucking stupid in cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Bikes are dangerous, there's no denying that. Get proper safety gear and do an advanced riders course. Ride carefully and you'll probably be fine.

I've been riding on the roads for 10+ years with zero incidents. A lot of close calls, but no incident as of yet.

Pretty much the same, been riding 10+ years and had a few close calls, few incidents where I've ended up on the floor (thanks black ice).
    Get some gear, get some practice in and take things slowly, don't be an idiot, its too easy to kill yourself if you open the throttle without knowing what you're doing (that said there is something intoxicating about hitting 40mph in about 3 seconds from a standing point).

End of the day, treat everyone on the road as an idiot, expect them to be stupid and to pull out infront of you or to randomly break, because THEY WILL.

---
    On a side note, in the UK the law is you must wear a crash helmet and gloves.. So you see kids on scooters wearing just that and nearly nothing else >.<. Don't be like them.

Ride careful, you don't want to prove him right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Bikes are dangerous, there's no denying that. Get proper safety gear and do an advanced riders course. Ride carefully and you'll probably be fine.

I've been riding on the roads for 10+ years with zero incidents. A lot of close calls, but no incident as of yet.
    Best post so far

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much everyone I've known who has ridden a motorcycle for at least 10 years has quite literally broken their neck. Only one death though. But yeah, I'd say your father's fears are justified.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryAnt View Post
    On a side note, in the UK the law is you must wear a crash helmet and gloves.. So you see kids on scooters wearing just that and nearly nothing else >.<. Don't be like them.
    In Austria, we only have to wear a helmet as far as safety gear comes (by law). Personally, I am not a big fan of wearing motorcycle gloves (thus I am guilty of not doing so), but they certainly do have their purpose and can make a crash a lot less unpleasant.

First and foremost: It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong in a traffic accident situation; if you collide a car, it will be you who will be injured worse. So try to be extra careful around others.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're going to shot your eye out kid. But yea, motorcycles are dangerous.

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle because a friend told me all these horror stories about bikes. Case in point when you have an accident there is nothing to protect your skin from being ripped off when you are thrown off your bike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell him if you die you will admit he was right and you were wrong and will not buy another motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    I wouldn't ride a motorcycle because a friend told me all these horror stories about bikes. Case in point when you have an accident there is nothing to protect your skin from being ripped off when you are thrown off your bike.
    I will buy protective gear to protect myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    I wouldn't ride a motorcycle because a friend told me all these horror stories about bikes.
    I watch crash videos from time to time and still have a bike. There is always the hope that it doesn't happen to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Ride it for a while and try not to kill yourself. I'd say try not to get hurt, but I don't know that I've ever met someone who owned a motorcycle and didn't get injured due to that fact at some point or another(myself included). Ride long enough and you'll get banged up at some point.
    This is so right. Its not because riders are not careful its just because you lack the safety features a car has, most bikers are very good drivers and safe but all it takes in some idiot in a car texting to fuck your life up.

That being said i love riding

Deleted
    Show him, that his worries are unwarranted. No need to discuss this with him until you actually prove him wrong.

Thing is - if parents think that way about you they are right most of the time. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I will buy protective gear to protect myself.
    The 7 or so people I've known who have broken their necks while riding (one death) were all wearing protective equipment. Well, I guess one guy wasn't.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen what happens when a bike goes down or loses to a car. It's not pretty.

Chances are I'll never ride a motorcycle. I trust my own abilities enough. It's other people I don't trust. People are idiots.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Who cares what he think if you're a financially independent adult.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Ignore him and stage a motorcycle crash prank to make him shit his pants.
    Like jump over Springfield Gorge?

Deleted
    So you two would be...THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS!

Oh, btw, now that you bought a motorcycle, you should start looking at hospital brochures, you will be spending a lot of time there.

10+ Year Old Account
    wear a seatbelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.