Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Legion PvP gearing - dev watercooler

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/4...or-legion-pvp/

a few points to talk about.

The biggest benefit of reducing the predictability in gearing in PvP is we can offer gear on par with the rest of World of Warcraft’s end-game activities. Not only will it make receiving gear from PvP more exciting and rewarding, but it also makes PvP more attractive to all WoW players. There’s also been some concern from both PvEers and PvPers that “raiders will just do Arena to get easy gear” and “gladiators will just do Mythic raids to get easy gear.” We feel it’s important to remember how challenging both types of gameplay can be. Downing Mythic bosses and earning Gladiator rating are two of the most difficult accomplishments in our game. We think players who have demonstrated skill at those levels deserve to be rewarded with better gear.

So pretty much PvErs will have to win a atleast a few pvp battles every week if they want to min-max their chance to get better gear. And no, you dont have to be a mythic quality pve raider to win a few arenas like they try to imply in the post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post

So pretty much PvErs will have to win a atleast a few pvp battles every week if they want to min-max their chance to get better gear. And no, you dont have to be a mythic quality pve raider to win a few arenas like they try to imply in the post.
    Normal arenas will probably reward normal raid gear, which is not worth it
    They say only gladiator pvp gear will be as good as mythic gear
    thats not something raiders get easily
    getting a high rating to get a chance for a piece of heroic gear is also not worth it, except if u enjoy pvp and u are good, and in that case u should be happy
    so stop crying already
    Last edited by mmocb6c41d5544; 2016-05-23 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    I'm actually quite happy with the way it sounds now. Gearing up in PvP won't be the frustrating grind it is currently where if any of the opposing teams' players have full gear you get utterly stomped.

This bit is the talking point for me:
    We also explored an option that involved scaling PvP gear to within a certain item level range, but this was complicated and made the distribution of secondary stats more important than item level. We think it’s important that if a player sees a piece of gear that is an item level upgrade, they will want to equip it.
    It's one of those cases where their ideal is the complete opposite of mine. If I was in charge I would think it important that players have more interesting gearing decisions to make than just comparing itemlevels, especially in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Julianor View Post
    getting a high rating to get a chance for a piece of heroic gear is also not worth it, except if u enjoy pvp and u are good, and in that case u should be happy
    so stop crying already
    So you just have to buy Rated bg carry from the russians for like 30 bucks up to 2,4k or whatever, then join pugs and get your 2-3 wins every week to keep getting mythic level gear.

So you just have to buy Rated bg carry from the russians for like 30 bucks up to 2,4k or whatever, then join pugs and get your 2-3 wins every week to keep getting mythic level gear.
    You can buy carries now for PVE gear. So it's really nothing new. You still have to be able to run the mythic content at the end of it and function as part of a mythic raiding setup. You can't buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    You can buy carries now for PVE gear. So it's really nothing new. You still have to be able to run the mythic content at the end of it and function as part of a mythic raiding setup. You can't buy that.
    Its not really easy to buy mythic carry at the start of a tier, and getting gear from it aswell. Sure it is now when the tier is done and nobody cares anymore. Depending on how they gate it you could probably obtain a few mythic level gear pieces even before the mythic raiding starts itself.

Pretty sure you misread that last point, unless they are giving out gladiator titles now for winning a few arena matches. I imagine you'll be getting better gear dropped in higher brackets.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its not really easy to buy mythic carry at the start of a tier, and getting gear from it aswell. Sure it is now when the tier is done and nobody cares anymore. Depending on how they gate it you could probably obtain a few mythic level gear pieces even before the mythic raiding starts itself.
    The arena season usually starts the same week as Mythic. Raid patch gets released, arena season ends. Mythic opens the following week and the new arena season begins. This has been standard for at least 2 expansions, maybe 3.

I also don't know how you'll be getting carried by people in full gear at the start of a season. If you're talking skilled players, then sure. They can do that already. But the gear curve will be nonexistent.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Julianor View Post
    so stop crying already
    This. And also yeah, I'm sure gladiators aren't like "I reached the .1% and I only got this lousy gladiator title, Mount, and prestige....but the GEAR though, yeah, that was my main goal all along."

- - - Updated - - -

Even now buying a mythic run is ridiculously expensive, even with garrison gold, how much are they going for? 750k to 1 mil, more? You say it like the average joe is walking around with that kind of money to blow constantly or people buy it on a whim like a mage portal.

Quote Originally Posted by aethermachine View Post
    Even now buying a mythic run is ridiculously expensive, even with garrison gold, how much are they going for? 750k to 1 mil, more? You say it like the average joe is walking around with that kind of money to blow constantly or people buy it on a whim like a mage portal.
    Exactly, even now buying mythic carry is very expensive, meanwhile buying 2,3k RBG costs like 30 bucks from the russians, and you will be able to get mytic level gear from that. I can see alot of mythic progress raiders now buying RBG carry to get a few more mythic lvl items.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I also don't know how you'll be getting carried by people in full gear at the start of a season. If you're talking skilled players, then sure. They can do that already. But the gear curve will be nonexistent.
    You buy RBG boost from the russians that use like 40 accounts and stuff to get matchmaked with their own accounts, same has been done for years now.
    Last edited by apelsinjuice; 2016-05-23 at 06:30 PM.

Random stats on loot is still a bad idea but other than that, it's cool I guess. I don't PvP much though.

Exactly, even now buying mythic carry is very expensive, meanwhile buying 2,3k RBG costs like 30 bucks from the russians, and you will be able to get mytic level gear from that. I can see alot of mythic progress raiders now buying RBG carry to get a few more mythic lvl items.

You buy RBG boost from the russians that use like 40 accounts and stuff to get matchmaked with their own accounts, same has been done for years now.
    You are speaking of a different issue known as match fixing, which has little to do with your thread title. I agree with you that something needs to be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by aethermachine View Post
    You are speaking of a different issue known as match fixing, which has little to do with your thread title. I agree with you that something needs to be done about it.
    It become the same problem when the match fixing RBG carry will now reward the best gear possible in the game, mythic level gear.

this is really terrible. please keep your rng out of my pvp, blizz. also how the heck is it making things "less frustrating"?? and giving out better gear to higher ratings.. cause that worked so well in bc & wotlk... Not. which is why it was changed in the first place!

What the heck are they thinking?

15+ Year Old Account

The entire point is the gear gain is nonexistent now. Did you read the watercooler at all? Let's just say there's a 30 ilevel difference like there is now. 710 to 740. So 800 to 830 in Legion. Your gear in WOD would give you a 30% gain. In Legion it's 3%. That effectively kills the boosting market. Paying for boosts won't help you win because gear will no longer carry you.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

If you want to gear most efficiently then you'll "have" to do everything. World Quests, Mythic+, Raids, Pvp, Missions, crafting... outside of pet battles I'm not sure there is any activity in Legion that doesn't offer potential item upgrades. "log in>raid>log out" because nothing else is worth participating in, is something they're trying to move away from.

Deleted
    Not really a fan of arenas to be honest, never gotten their appeal. After reading so many reports of hackers, botters and individuals that DDOS their opponents I was not really inclined to try it out either. Well, I hope the PVP gear obtained for "normal players" will have the same appearance more or less, only difference being color and/ or additional changes.

Quote Originally Posted by toolsv View Post
    This bit is the talking point for me:

It's one of those cases where their ideal is the complete opposite of mine. If I was in charge I would think it important that players have more interesting gearing decisions to make than just comparing itemlevels, especially in pvp.
    The problem being the scaling never works right.
    Different specs will scale differently with different stats, hence the fixed template they can tweak as the base.
    I agree it is disappointing, but I see the reason why.
    They are so determined to fit in some sort of gear progression that they insist on the significantly reduced progression as much as it is still broken by that, though to a much lesser degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I'm actually tempted to do pvp for the first time since Wrath.