Lift auto ban quickly with SMS protect?

I am thinking about using a VPN private service.

Reading over Blizz tech forums I came to a MVP poster saying you can lift auto bans (caused automatically by blizz protection systems while using proxy servers) with the SMS Protect.

How does this work?

I dont mind using a private VPN and lift any ban quickly if thats possible.

(The problems of not playing wow in the US )

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    So to my understanding this is the process:

1) I pay and use for a good VPN service (no free stuff used by chinese and botters)

2) I get banned because Blizzard doesnt love me.

3) I open bnet. press "cant log in", pick "my account is locked" and magically can unlock it WITHOUT APPEALING?

I got banned twice for using a proxy server and had to appeal. SMS Protect allows me to skip the appealing process? Because if thats the case then I am dandy!

7+ Year Old Account
    I cannot definitively answer that, as I haven't ran into it, but it certainly looks like you can bypass the whole "We locked your account, because your IP is really weird compared to normal" headache by using your phone.

Perhaps there is someone else on the board that can vouch for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    SMS Protect is to help yuo get your account back if its been hacked or something funky happened, like they thought you travelling and playing WoW was a compromised account.

If you're using a VPN intentionally, and get banned consistently, Blizzard will not always be happy with this and CAN just lock your account permanently, or not allow you to use SMS protect as an option. I'm not saying they WILL, but they can. It's happened before. There are people in the past who have been perma-banned after getting banned too many times from using VPN (but they might have been using a bad one with blacklisted addresses).

Just saying. You're taking a risk with this route.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    SMS Protect is to help yuo get your account back if its been hacked or something funky happened, like they thought you travelling and playing WoW was a compromised account.

If you're using a VPN intentionally, and get banned consistently, Blizzard will not always be happy with this and CAN just lock your account permanently, or not allow you to use SMS protect as an option. I'm not saying they WILL, but they can. It's happened before. There are people in the past who have been perma-banned after getting banned too many times from using VPN (but they might have been using a bad one with blacklisted addresses).

Just saying. You're taking a risk with this route.
    I wont be using a shitty VPN. Never heard of anyone having an account perma banned that couldnt appeal it since its just an automatic ban (or as many as there is)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeh.- View Post
    I wont be using a shitty VPN. Never heard of anyone having an account perma banned that couldnt appeal it since its just an automatic ban (or as many as there is)
    I'm not saying it happens often... But it happens.

After a certain number of auto-bans they start reviewing the account and requiring call ins.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    You can get permabanned trust me.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

wait, what is the problem they have with vpn connections?

can you not like shoot them a heads up email saying "yo i am going to be playing through vpn because i live in china / am on the fbi's most wanted list for illegally downloading a pizza / whatever so can you turn ip geo-related auto-protection off on my account thanks" ?

ExpressVPN even offers a service from MY country which means my IP wont even be jumping.

Yes, i can open a ticket and tell them I will be using a VPN.

I am just a bit scared of getting banned over and over and over

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    You can get permabanned trust me.
    I know i can get permabanned... but its supposed to be able to lift it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    wait, what is the problem they have with vpn connections?

can you not like shoot them a heads up email saying "yo i am going to be playing through vpn because i live in china / am on the fbi's most wanted list for illegally downloading a pizza / whatever so can you turn ip geo-related auto-protection off on my account thanks" ?
    You WILL get permabanned for that. Part of the ToS is not violating laws. Using VPN to circumvent national laws is violating the ToS... But we aren't talking about that here. Telling them you use a VPN would only draw attention, really. It wouldn't make them ignore flags. It sounds a lot like "I want to do illegal stuff so please let me"

To them, there is no difference between using a VPN (to get around bad net connections) and using a VPN (to do something shady). Your word, and intentions, mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeh.- View Post
    I know i can get permabanned... but its supposed to be able to lift it
    It's supposed to (and designed to) lift it in the case of an accident. If you get banned for doing using a VPN, thats quite intentional, and a different story.

You WILL get permabanned for that. Part of the ToS is not violating laws. Using VPN to circumvent national laws is violating the ToS... But we aren't talking about that here. Telling them you use a VPN would only draw attention, really. It wouldn't make them ignore flags. It sounds a lot like "I want to do illegal stuff so please let me"

To them, there is no difference between using a VPN (to get around bad net connections) and using a VPN (to do something shady). Your word, and intentions, mean nothing.

It's supposed to (and designed to) lift it in the case of an accident. If you get banned for doing using a VPN, thats quite intentional, and a different story.
    What if i use a VPN that has service for my country? Meaning i will be connecting from Argentina (my country) instead of some USA server.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...04264?page=1#9

This guy uses VPN and never had a single problem. I dont know what to think anymore. I know its random and some ppl might be affects while others wont.

The problem with that type of system is a lot of the phone numbers they won't allow because of the carriers =/

I just a Blizzard poster answer.

If you guys still interested in this topic follow it here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...4264?page=1#12

Thank you all for all the answers. You helped me make up my decision