Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I bought myself a motorcycle and my dad is freaking out. He keeps saying that I will kill myself. I don't know what to tell him in order to calm him down. My mom is not worried too much but my dad is out of control. What do you guys think? Is he justified in his reaction?
    How much time had you been instructed in the safe use of one before running out and purchasing one? Do you live under their roof? Those would be the first two questions I ask. I was brought up in a family where everyone rode motorcycles as far back as my great grandfather. So I had been out on one with my dad, and thoroughly taught to respect them or they would kill you. The two things my father would repeat to this day if he were still alive are:

if you do not respect a motorcycle it will kill you
    motorcycles have every advantage over cars up until point of impact

the bottom line is don't give your dad a chance for an I told you so. respect the bike, don't be out hot dogging, and make sure you pat attention to people in cages because they do not pay attention to you.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Motorcycle fatalities are about 5 times higher than for other automobiles. Also the chance of serious injury or death during an accident is about 4 times higher on a motorcycle than other automobiles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryAnt View Post
    On a side note, in the UK the law is you must wear a crash helmet and gloves.. So you see kids on scooters wearing just that and nearly nothing else >.<. Don't be like them.
    unless you are sikh, and wear a turban.....because we all know those things are CE certified in case of an accident....

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought myself a motorcycle and my dad is freaking out. He keeps saying that I will kill myself. I don't know what to tell him in order to calm him down. My mom is not worried too much but my dad is out of control. What do you guys think? Is he justified in his reaction?
    There is a reason they call motorcycle riders organ donors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Motorcycle fatalities are about 5 times higher than for other automobiles. Also the chance of serious injury or death during an accident is about 4 times higher on a motorcycle than other automobiles.
    maybe, but driving a car is boring as hell, riding a bike is fun. I'd rather live a shorter more enjoyable life, than be bored out of my mind being safe.....

al bundy on a motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    So you two would be...THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS!

Oh, btw, now that you bought a motorcycle, you should start looking at hospital brochures, you will be spending a lot of time there.
    I will be starting medical school next year so no need for that. I'll fix myself

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    maybe, but driving a car is boring as hell, riding a bike is fun. I'd rather live a shorter more enjoyable life, than be bored out of my mind being safe.....
    And you probably also complain about the health care costs of the obese and/or smokers as well don't you?

Deleted
    And you probably also complain about the health care costs of the obese and/or smokers as well don't you?
    and why would I not? I pay insurance to ride my bike which comes with comprehensive medical cover thanks. If smokers and obese people paid insurance on a packet of fags or that fatty burger they pig out on, then it would be comparable, as they dont, it isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    and why would I not? I pay insurance to ride my bike which comes with comprehensive medical cover thanks. If smokers and obese people paid insurance on a packet of fags or that fatty burger they pig out on, then it would be comparable, as they dont, it isnt.
    I'm not going to debate your insurance policy and to what it covers and what it wouldn't as most automotive policies cover liability to others with pretty large coverage but coverage of the driver is usually a much smaller amount that wouldn't cover an even moderately severe accident that required hospitalization.

But...
    Smokers pay as much as $4+ per pack of cigarettes in taxes which ostensibly is to cover health care costs associated with smoking. I say ostensibly because that is the stated reason by governments for such excessive taxation but we all know that the money is used for whatever the government wants to use it for.

Your dad is correct, motorcycles are death traps.

If you want to satsify your desire, just do a lengthy trip with a couple friends every oncce in a while, "route 66" style. Anywhere with a lot of space and proper roads.

But riding a motorcycle in the daily traffic, during rushour, is simply begging for trouble.

Deleted
    I'm not going to debate your insurance policy and to what it covers and what it wouldn't as most automotive policies cover liability to others with pretty large coverage but coverage of the driver is usually a much smaller amount that wouldn't cover an even moderately severe accident that required hospitalization.

But...
    Smokers pay as much as $4+ per pack of cigarettes in taxes which ostensibly is to cover health care costs associated with smoking. I say ostensibly because that is the stated reason by governments for such excessive taxation but we all know that the money is used for whatever the government wants to use it for.
    sorry, taxation is not an excuse, I pay tax on my bike, on my petrol, on the insurance I pay, on the vehicle from vehicle excise duty.
    I still have insurance, and its fully comp, with full legal and medical cover mate. Plus I have life insurance, and additional foreign travel medical cover for when I go abroad. Fully covered....

Deleted
    Make a donut in the backyard, then honk your moms tits and drive off.
    Hell never know what hit him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacras View Post
    But riding a motorcycle in the daily traffic, during rushour, is simply begging for trouble.
    I have been using my motorcycle for daily city traffic commutes for years. Sure, something can always happen - I think no one is denying that there is an increased risk. But it's not like it has to.

Personally, I was never interested in making tours, longer trips or the like.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2016-05-23 at 09:23 PM.

motorcycles are called donor-cycles for a reason. if you are ever in a serious crash in a car you may live, in a motorcycle probably not. Better sign up to be an organ donor just in case. Anyway with proper gear, great driving and awareness skills you might not get into a serious accident. Even if its the other drivers fault, it doesnt matter if you are dead. So just be extra careful when driving. Your dad seems justified in his fears, all you can do is reassure him you'll be extra careful and wear proper gear/ use your head.

I'm currently enrolled in a motorcycle course (around 30 hours of practice). I will not be using highways this summer. I will mostly use it to go to university (around 15min drive).
    A highway is one of the safest places you can be. The most common and sometimes fatal crashes on a bike are at low speeds. Below 15mph. I have about 15 years now of riding experience and put my bike down once. It was a nasty spill at about 7mph. I'd be 6 feet under if I didn't have my helmet on at the time. If you are committed to owning a motorcycle then be mature about what you're doing on the bike and never.. seriously never leave home without a helmet, jacket, and gloves.

Convey that you are serious about following the rules and wearing your gear to your dad. Thats about the best advice you can get. Props on taking a riding course too, thats a smart move.

Need to take more precautions with a bike than a car. One of the troops I supervised who arrived fresh from basic training and tech school was so excited about his new bike...he was in 3 accidents that first year and spent about half that year in casts and on crutches. A guildy went to see his nephew for his 21st birthday last month. He just got a bike. When my guildy went to see him to have a good time at bars his nephew was already in the hospital with a broken arm from a crash. I am happy with my 4 wheels. Be careful!

Well you will fall on the bike 100% guaranteed.

Deleted

Red face

A friend of mine got killed 2 months ago. He lost control and smashed his head onto a tree. He didnt wear a helmet ofc but given the speed the motorcycle had he wouldn't survive even if he wore 1. Ofc that doesn't mean it will happen to you but as a parent i would freak out myself.
    My advice is this. Wear a helmet ,keep your speed low, always beware of the morons that ignore red lights and STOP signs. Enjoy your ride

Btw i never got on a mototbike. To scared even to be on the back sit
    Last edited by mmoc024535e5c7; 2016-05-23 at 09:51 PM.

just sounds like a Dad being a Dad to me, but if you are committed to riding a motorcycle make sure to do 2 things:

1.) For the love of god, wear not only a helmet, but also pants and torso coverage as well. I've had a few family members almost made into vegetables (one of them was a vegetable for awhile and still haven't fully recovered) due to them having the "it'll never happen to me". Even the most vigilant of drivers have an accident or 2, and it's far more fatal/dangerous when you are riding a Motorcycle instead of a Car.
    2.) Be ever vigilant. you can be the best motorist in the world, but all it takes is one of the idiots that are around you to fuck up to put you in a horrible situation (specially the people who don't use their fucking turn signals they are there for a reason people).