Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    .... Yes the courts are just bastions of letting cops of the hook for any and everything right?
    Pretty much. That's what happens when there's no oversight, and two groups of people in power work together most of the time. They collude for mutual benefit, to the detriment of the rest of us.

Not exactly a new idea, it's been around for a while. Anyone interested in reality or having a rational discussion accepts it to be true to at least some degree. People who aren't interested in reality deny the blue line exists at all: enjoy your totalitarianism. Try not to be upset when you're the one with the broken neck one day.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2016-05-23 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaranh View Post
    But who was in fact not guilty and was found, not guilty.
    He was just found not guilty from the lack of proof of guilt which is not saying he was in fact innocent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    He was just found not guilty from the lack of proof of guilt which is not saying he was in fact innocent.
    So what you are saying is, the man wasnt found guilty and if he isnt guilty, hes innocent, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    What's shameful, the article itself states that the state didn't meet it's burden of proof. Granted in the public opinion, it's not innocent until proven guilty. But the legal system DOES work that way. The state failed in their duty, and as a result, the officer was found innocent. So...the system works. Which is great!
    Is this the type of society you are comfortable living in? Your brother could be killed due to police negligence and then the suspects get off easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaranh View Post
    So what you are saying is, the man wasnt found guilty and if he isnt guilty, hes innocent, thanks.
    No, innocent and not guilty are NOT the same thing. One can commit a crime and still be found not guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Alright? I don't get why this is something that really warrants a distinction.
    Well frankly there is a very large difference. I'm not saying that this particular Judge is one of the scummy ones, but there are a lot of Judges that are as racist, bigoted, and quick to show their power as some police officers. They look after their own per say.

10+ Year Old Account
    not guilty is not guilty, not "is innocent". Think Al Capone here, or Jon Gotti. People we KNOW did wrong but they didnt get caught on it, and only got caught on other things like tax evasion.

However, I prefer the system we have. Better to let a guilty guy go on too little evidence than an innocent gets convicted on too little evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    However, I prefer the system we have. Better to let a guilty guy go on too little evidence than an innocent gets convicted on too little evidence.
    This isn't random chance or the bar being set too low; it's being set too low for certain people, namely cops.

I don't think it's a good system where cops consistently don't face the same consequences as everyone else. I don't see the appeal of such a system, and that's absolutely what we have right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Is this the type of society you are comfortable living in? Your brother could be killed due to police negligence and then the suspects get off easily.
    Not finding any good argument so you resort to emotional appeal?
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    This isn't random chance or the bar being set too low; it's being set too low for certain people, namely cops.

I don't think it's a good system where cops consistently don't face the same consequences as everyone else. I don't see the appeal of such a system, and that's absolutely what we have right now.
    Not sure about Baltimore and if that ssystem is corrupt it needs to be fixed, but I know here in DFW the cops that used excessive force / killed people are currently facing those consequences. I'd have to wait until the trials over, but at least 1 is facing murder charges and others with manslaughter. Got fired form their departments ASAP.

time to watch them show the world what they really are again.
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Not sure about Baltimore and if that ssystem is corrupt it needs to be fixed, but I know here in DFW the cops that used excessive force / killed people are currently facing those consequences. I'd have to wait until the trials over, but at least 1 is facing murder charges and others with manslaughter. Got fired form their departments ASAP.
    And here in South Carolina we hold our officers accountable for shooting people for seatbelt violations and for shooting unarmed people running away.

But in Baltimore, NYC, LA, Chicago... they do not have control of their officers, quite obviously. Some people seem to think that if you hold police officers to the same standards as everyone else, that somehow leads to chaos, which is totally contrary to reality.

Deleted
    Actually, a person is by default innocent.
    Therefore, in the absence of a guilty verdict, he was, is, and remains, innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Is this where I say more black people were killed by cops by percentage, which is how you should really base statistics.

This is from the Washington Times (first article to appear on Google) a conservative leaning publication.

Do some quick math and whites make up 62% population where as blacks make up 14%.

So who do you think cops kill more in relation to race? Really.
    Cops dont spend much time dealing with the average citizen but those involved in criminal activity. Blacks commit roughly 50% of the violent crime in the US so the rates of being killing by the police is in line with their interactions with those officers.

Deleted
    No, innocent and not guilty are NOT the same thing. One can commit a crime and still be found not guilty.
    Not guilty, means not guilty, if someone isnt guilty hes innocent, that's how it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Actually, a person is by default innocent.
    Therefore, in the absence of a guilty verdict, he was, is, and remains, innocent.
    innocent in the eyes of the law doesnt really mean actually innocent. or was Jon Gotti not a mobster doing rackettering things?

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    Cops dont spend much time dealing with the average citizen but those involved in criminal activity. Blacks commit roughly 50% of the violent crime in the US so the rates of being killing by the police is in line with their interactions with those officers.
    This is what you get when cops are doing math for you.

We know what the reality is: How do we justify it? Blame the dead.

It's called cops getting away with murder.

If somebody "accidentally" dies while in the custody of 6 cops, between 1 and 6 cops should be going to prison. Responsibility doesn't disappear just because there's suddenly more than 1 person, and maybe not everybody was directly involved. That isn't how we investigate other crimes... only crimes involving cops.
    Want to bet? I know first hand of cases where small children were killed, or severely brain damaged where people werent prosecuted or sent to prison because there were multiple people responsible for taking care of child and the doctors couldnt say when those injuries occurred to point the finger at an individual. In some situations, the cause of death/injury is force but "accidental" cant be ruled out completely so no charges. This isnt unique to cops, its part of our system and the burden of proof being beyond a reasonable doubt. Plenty of criminals, including backs, avoid prosecution or prison due to being unable to prove a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    So you rather live in a society where your brother could land in jail just because some people think he is guilt even if there is no evidence that prove any wrongdoing?

This is what you get when cops are doing math for you.

We know what the reality is: How do we justify it? Blame the dead.
    Seeing how they overwhelming deserve it, yes.

Edit: What is wrong with the math? Other than it makes sense and doesnt let you misrepresent things.
    Last edited by triplesdsu; 2016-05-23 at 10:11 PM.