Page 21 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    thats not Polaris 10, assuming it was real (i.e. not High/Medium settings)
    That is the only "real" thing we know about Polaris 10.. AMD specifically said it was Polaris 10 running Hitman. Now I don't remember if they specified settings, but that can probably be found with some research, which I can't be bothered to do.

I also have to add how funny I think it is that we see rumors out there saying that Polaris 10 could be the 490/490X and everyone goes, "nope, not true." Then we see a rumor saying it's the 480/480X and everyone is all like, "See, AMD is not gonna compete with the 1080." Funny, they are both rumors, yet one gets dismissed and one gets taken seriously and the only thing that we have seen that's real data just gets ignored. I can't help but laugh at it all.

Well yes its still early lol, but you weren't even in the ballpark with your predictions. If these turn out to be true i nailed it 100% on performance, product naming, and yet to be seen on MSRP (my guess is spot on, they cant sell a 980 for 300 bucks when a 1070 exists for 379.00).

I am actually more interested in the 480 nonx and its OC capability, i want the cheapest card i can get my hands on that is at least 2x performance of my 760 and the 480 could be it (hoping for 200-220 MSRP on that one).

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Well yes its still early lol, but you weren't even in the ballpark with your predictions. If these turn out to be true i nailed it 100% on performance, product naming, and yet to be seen on MSRP (my guess is spot on, they cant sell a 980 for 300 bucks when a 1070 exists for 379.00).

I am actually more interested in the 480 nonx and its OC capability, i want the cheapest card i can get my hands on that is at least 2x performance of my 760 and the 480 could be it (hoping for 200-220 MSRP on that one).
    Yet Hitman running at 1440p on Ultra and staying steadily above 60FPS puts me in the right ballpark. You know, the thing we know is true, not just rumors.

Deleted
    Is $220 really considered mainstream prices? Always felt that was below $200

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yet Hitman running at 1440p on Ultra and staying steadily above 60FPS puts me in the right ballpark. You know, the thing we know is true, not just rumors.
    lol you are like a politician or something, stop moving the goalposts and admit you were way off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    200 is mainstream pricing for the most part. GTX *60 series is generally at that price point. Its just wishful thinking the 480 gets close to that number.

There was a time when $500 card was thought to be totally nuts, now they bring a $699 card that ain't even that amazing and it's instantly sold out. So yeah, I think mainstream can mean anything at this point.

lol you are like a politician or something, stop moving the goalposts and admit you were way off.
    Not until I see some real data proving otherwise, just like you should not be claiming you were right until we have real data showing such. All we have are rumors. The only real data we have actually proves me right, and that's not moving goalposts, that's me saying the same thing i have said all along.

So information from "independent sources" makes you right? Wasn't the last big negative AMD rumor from "independent sources" debunked? Also, as for the performance, they outright admit that it is not confirmed. So unconfirmed information makes you right? I'm not ready to say one way or the other yet as non of this is anywhere near official. It's just more rumors.

The only real official thing we have seen about it's performance is still it running Hitman at 1440p on Ultra settings and staying steadily above 60FPS. AMD themselves showed this at 2 different events. That's the only data we have that is not a rumor as it was seen being done by the media.
    I've got to admit, I really dislike these vague metrics that they've used to promote the card's speed. Hitman runs at averages of the 60fps mark using 1440p res on a 390X (both above and below 60fps, but most consistently around 60fps) and around 55fps on a 390, when using DX12. Hitman also runs like hot garbage on Nvidia cards because of their terrible DX12 implementation.

The only other comparison result we got was Star Wars: Battlefront running at 60 fps @1080p, with medium settings, where it was being compared to a GTX 950.

In the SW:Battlefront comparison, I can only assume it's the mobile equivalent card being displayed. Maybe 470, or lower?

Not until I see some real data proving otherwise, just like you should not be claiming you were right until we have real data showing such. All we have are rumors. The only real data we have actually proves me right, and that's not moving goalposts, that's me saying the same thing i have said all along.
    WHAT lol. You have been saying all along this is the 490 series and they were going to compete with the 1080 and 1070...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    The only other comparison result we got was Star Wars: Battlefront running at 60 fps @1080p, with medium settings, where it was being compared to a GTX 950.

In the SW:Battlefront comparison, I can only assume it's the mobile equivalent card being displayed. Maybe 470, or lower?
    That was actually a Polaris 11, which yes, is the mobile chips. The only thing we have seen on Polaris 10 is Hitman,

- - - Updated - - -

WHAT lol. You have been saying all along this is the 490 series and they were going to compete with the 1080 and 1070...
    and I am still saying that. All that article is, is another rumor. They claim they got the info from "independent sources" and admit that the benchmark data is as of yet unconfirmed. So for all we know, I could still be right. Yes, this particular rumor makes it appear as though you are right, but that's all it is, a rumor. I am still basing my guess off real data. Then showing for the world to see a Polaris 10 GPU performing at 1440p in Hitman with Ultra graphics while staying constantly above 60FPS. Similar benchmarks of the 1080 show it averaging 64 FPS with no data on it's Min FPS. That means there is a Polaris 10 Engineering Sample out there that outperforms the GTX 1080. So I am not noving any goal posts, I am still just dismissing rumors and sticking to what I said. I did mention that if this one is true I may have to eat my words, but I have not yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I've got to admit, I really dislike these vague metrics that they've used to promote the card's speed. Hitman runs at averages of the 60fps mark using 1440p res on a 390X (both above and below 60fps, but most consistently around 60fps) and around 55fps on a 390, when using DX12. Hitman also runs like hot garbage on Nvidia cards because of their terrible DX12 implementation.
    DX12 runs badly on Nvidia cause there's no option to turn off Async compute. And yes the point of vague metrics early on is to give an idea but not what it's full potential is. They purposely capped each presentation's FPS to 60 as to not show what it can truly do because Nvidia can easily just change base clock rate like they did with 680 vs 7970 (non GHz). Without corporate espionage (illegal), all we have are rumors.
    Think the pricing is generally 200+-50, I don't know really know what mainstream market is at this point quite honestly.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, so AMD's idea of new gen is slower than a 390x, for the same price as the (arguably overpriced) 390 has been for a year, just with lower power consumption?

If I wanted something this slow I'd honestly save $279 or w/e it ends up and pass on even bothering with a discrete card. At that point just use IGP. If it were similar performance in a laptop I could understand, since that's what comes in the laptop new. But in terms of desktop I'm not sure what niche they are aiming for. A group that can't spend another $80-$100 beyond the $300 they are already spending, for a 25%+ faster 1070? That would seem to be a fairly small group to me.

That's on top of availability concerns, since AMD isn't allowing AIBs to show anything Polaris related at Computex. I know 1070/1080 aren't in stores yet, but will be within 2 weeks and AMD so far is looking months away yet.

Also btw, all the leaks on pricing info on the 480 have been in the $279-$299 range. Not sure where the $220 talk started here, I haven't seen that even hinted anywhere else on tech sites. So I wouldn't hold my breath on that. If true that would change things in that it would make more sense as a 380 replacement and filling that niche, but $279-$299 seems far more likely from everything I've read on reputable tech sites.
    Last edited by Auxora; 2016-05-23 at 10:06 PM.

Well there are two cards tumaras the x and non x versions. The x version will be 280-300 bucks they cant price it higher than that, the non x version tho is a mystery im just hoping its 225ish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    I've read on reputable tech sites.
    The ones that quoted a random person's forum post as having trouble with the manufacturing node, no computex, etc. Yeah those reputable sites, /nod... Honestly think only Anandtech is the only site that DIDN'T report on that rumor. 4Gamer for the JP site I go to also didn't report on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    That's on top of availability concerns, since AMD isn't allowing AIBs to show anything Polaris related at Computex. I know 1070/1080 aren't in stores yet, but will be within 2 weeks and AMD so far is looking months away yet.
    Not allowing != them not existing.

I would be more worried about custom 1080s, because we haven't really seen any announced yet.. Teases yes, announcements no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that and the Polaris 10 GPU that they showed running Hitman at 1440p w/ Ultra settings holding steadily above 60FPS. The 1080 Benchmarks of that game show it averaging around 64FPS. So it's not just peoples hopes and dreams, it's something they showed us, very recently.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...ple_pictured/1

That's the articles bolding, not mine

So they showed us a Polaris 10 GPU outperforming a Fury X. That means there is a Polaris 10 GPU out there that is pretty close to on par with the 1080. We've seen it running live, twice now. Once at Capsiacin and once again at CES. That's not hopes and dreams, that's cold hard facts. Unless it was really Vega 10/11 and they were lying to us.
    But it was shown by AMD and not a 3rd party. Which again, doesn't really make it concrete. But I know what's going to happen, and the 1070 is faster in DX11 but slower in DX12, where the 480X is faster in DX12 but slower in DX11. That means that AMD is going to price it equal or nearly equal to the 1070, which isn't a smart idea.

If AMD wants to capture market share, they'll need to price competitively. Let Vega be their $600 graphics card, but these cards need to be cheap.

Since mainstream is not an actually standard, like reference cards aren't a standard, anything goes. For all we know $400 is mainstream to AMD. Which I would flip my computer if that were the case.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-05-23 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Since mainstream is not an actually standard, like reference cards aren't a standard, anything goes. For all we know $400 is mainstream to AMD. Which I would flip my computer if that were the case.
    In one article it said that AMD considers 390x and below mainstream. Fury is High End. So yeah, I'd say $400 is about the ceiling on mainstream.

10+ Year Old Account
    In one article it said that AMD considers 390x and below mainstream. Fury is High End. So yeah, I'd say $400 is about the ceiling on mainstream.
    Excuse me one second. Flipping idiots have no idea what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Excuse me one second.
    I've gotten used to doing that with tech prices.