Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Lesson learnt, I've proceeded to make this:

Would be interesting to eat something like that, though I think it needs restructuring. It kinda defeats the point if you can no longer get a bite of all layers :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    You're probably going to end up in a similar way if you go through that thing.
    No problem, I'll just handle it like Homer:

Altitude sickness? Instead of being a...about diet, perhaps she have spent more time acclimatizing herself with low pressure...

I'm not on vegans' side in most discussions, but I think it's pretty tasteless to make a headline about her diet in this case, especially since it has nothing to do with her death.
    Mother pus bucket!

I dunno what veganism has to do with this, but seriously, Everest is not fucking around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

Diet has fuck-all to do with it.

It's more a case of people too damn stupid to take oxygen to mt. everest when you really really reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally need to do so.
    Again, it's a biological response. Everyone will get altitude sickness at some point, but some people will be able to deal with it better than others.

When it come to oxygen saturation, there are mutations in heme that alter how tightly hemoglobin is able to bind to oxygen. This is what allows ethnic groups that historically have resided in high-altitude locations to circumvent some of the deleterious effects. When it comes to a vegan diet, iron depletion, or depletion of vitamins that aid in metabolic adaptation, are realities. I can certainly see adherents being more susceptible to altitude sickness on this basis.

It's more a case of people too damn stupid to take oxygen to mt. everest when you really really reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally need to do so.
    Could have been cerebral odema which you never really know if it will affect you and when it does you are basically dead if you are up a mountain.

Either way I am going to hell because when I heard this I was in stitches.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Again, it's a biological response. Everyone will get altitude sickness at some point, but some people will be able to deal with it better than others.

When it come to oxygen saturation, there are mutations in heme that alter how tightly hemoglobin is able to bind to oxygen. This is what allows ethnic groups that historically have resided in high-altitude locations to circumvent some of the deleterious effects. When it comes to a vegan diet, iron depletion, or depletion of vitamins that aid in metabolic adaptation, are realities. I can certainly see adherents being more susceptible to altitude sickness on this basis.
    There's zero data showing a correlation of such - everest is climbed enough that if any sort of diet was sufficiently dangerous by itself it would be noted. It's more down to genetic causes.

yeah, what a dumb vegan. Everyone knows a belly full of red meat would have saved her

/s

Dumb headline is dumb
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

So... did they leave her body up there?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's zero data showing a correlation of such - everest is climbed enough that if any sort of diet was sufficiently dangerous by itself it would be noted. It's more down to genetic causes.
    These events are rare and often lethal. They're hard to study. And you have no data either. This is all just logical conjecture, and I've at least provided some sort of argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Would be interesting to eat something like that, though I think it needs restructuring. It kinda defeats the point if you can no longer get a bite of all layers :P.
    Just eat it like Furious Pete does.

The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

These events are rare and often lethal. They're hard to study. And you have no data either. This is all just logical conjecture, and I've at least provided some sort of argument.
    Altitude sickness isn't that rare, actually. Nor limited to Everest - it's very, very common. That's why I said what I did - if it was a come thing for x diet it would be a noticeable blurb for it, but I've not seen any research showing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Altitude sickness isn't that rare, actually. Nor limited to Everest - it's very, very common. That's why I said what I did - if it was a come thing for x diet it would be a noticeable blurb for it, but I've not seen any research showing that.
    That doesn't mean an effect isn't there. And I'm more talking about degree of sickness. Of course, everyone is susceptible to some degree or another. But I think it's unlikely that iron or vitamin status will have no effect on this pathology, especially when we've seen genetic effects that alter oxygen binding and susceptibility to altitude sickness.

I've never gotten altitude sickness and I've never been vegan...... coincidence?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

That doesn't mean an effect isn't there. And I'm more talking about degree of sickness. Of course, everyone is susceptible to some degree or another. But I think it's unlikely that iron or vitamin status will have no effect on this pathology, especially when we've seen genetic effects that alter oxygen binding and susceptibility to altitude sickness.
    This type of death also isn't uncommon on everest though people think they do do without oxygen / going slowly because they're more interested in glory than living to talk about their glory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    This mount everest "mass" tourism is just horrible.
    Nah. Anything that helps the One Percent off themselves is okay by me.

We should have evenmore complicated ways they can spend money to commit suicide.
    Impeach the MF.

Another potential contributing factor would be that it's MUCH easier to build muscle mass with animal protein, and your heart being a muscle, fluid buildup would make sense if her heart wasn't doing well enough at compensating for the decreased atmospheric pressure. I further imagine that as a vegan, she rarely has creatine in her diet, and your body actually doesn't produce enough to keep your brain working at its peak ability, and certainly doesn't produce enough to permit you to acquire enough muscle mass to be anything more than a scrawny gimp.

The most inshape, buff, ripped, active etc.. person I know happens to be vegan. With modern food you can easily get everything you need on a vegan diet. I wouldn't say that her diet may not have played a role though, vegans tend to be more alkolotic than meat eaters which doesn't help early on in respiratory alkolosis when they start breathing faster, however what kills is going acidotic when the breathing slows and things start shutting down. Might have made her slightly more susceptible or it may have helped. Point is, it wasn't much of a factor either way, a vegan could definitely climb everest, win gold, do whatever as long as they are getting the proper nutrition, which is a little more difficult but totally doable. Acetazolamide would also been helpful to have on hand or taken before, the article doesn't say if it was used, but i know there are some climbers that even try to do it without oxygen because they feel any assistance like that is cheating. Might be more to the story here, another climber in the group, non-vegan, died as well.

Everest has taken many people, they aren't the first and won't be the last, there is a reason it has a reputation and why people try to do it. I wouldn't do it but I'm not going to tell anyone else its not for them or knock them for it. I can understand why someone might feel they want or need to do this. That said the tourism there has gotten a little out of hand, and the sherpas that make it possible have probably the deadliest job in the world.

Not totally accurate.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.