Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How to earn a spot as Feral in Legion?

Those who have been playing Feral in a main progression raid and have finished Mythic, how did you earn your spot and not become overshadowed by Rogues, DKs, and other melee? How did you make yourself part of the group and earn your spot? What do Ferals bring in a group that makes them worth bringing? It seems like their playstyle is one dimensional in that it's best for ST and maybe cleave, so why bring them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmirino View Post
    Those who have been playing Feral in a main progression raid and have finished Mythic, how did you earn your spot and not become overshadowed by Rogues, DKs, and other melee? How did you make yourself part of the group and earn your spot? What do Ferals bring in a group that makes them worth bringing? It seems like their playstyle is one dimensional in that it's best for ST and maybe cleave, so why bring them?
    Be good... Really, nobody cares anymore what spec you're playing. I've noticed that Normal and Heroic groups are usually the ones who care too much about spec min-max, and not Mythic groups. Same with Rivals/Challengers who will only play a cookie cutter comp when glads/duelists don't give a damn and just play whatever. People do not want to admit their aren't very good at this game, so they focus a lot on composition when it really doesn't matter anymore.

my group has a pretty good cat DPS, he is mostly in the top 4 or so under mages and rogues, the thing is as long as people pull weight and you are not in a top 10% guild most guilds dont care what you play. On the topic of what cat dps bring to the raid, the aoe sprint is useful but bear tanks also bring that. In legion they removed the aoe sprint from boomkin and resto druids so one more reason to bring a cat druid.

Well what to say, we don't have a kitty and we're not going to recruit one either. There's not enough melee spots for all the melee specs so the niche ones like kitty lose out. I'm not 100 % on how kitty looks for Legion but in this tier it's not been flexible enough with target swapping and it's not brought anything special the way DK's (grips), rogues (cheeses) or warriors (RC/stuns/AoE) do.

However if we had a good player who was a cat and there for every raid doing good dps he'd have his raid spot. So I guess find someone who's short on melee for some reason and then make yourself valuable (don't miss raids, don't derp much etc.) :P

Most of those players post on Fluid Druid.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my guild's officers and best DPSers is a feral. He brings consistency and a knowledge of boss mechanics and a very good raid awareness to the table. I'd probablu still take him for his DPS. But sometimes we also have 3 DKs so it's not about what class you bring really, it's all in the performance. That's what I did like about the way they did classes after Cata, meant you could play what you were good at and not what the raid required.

if you are good player you will bring more raid performance as a rogue. since its rather similar.
    if ferals stays with: bad target switching, ok single target and bad burst aoe, i dont see much reason other then lore to play a feral in progress raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikusa View Post
    if you are good player you will bring more raid performance as a rogue. since its rather similar.
    if ferals stays with: bad target switching, ok single target and bad burst aoe, i dont see much reason other then lore to play a feral in progress raids.
    So dont bring affliction locks or spriests to raids either? IMO bring the player and the rest will work itself out. If you're in a top guild sure they might complain but if you're not a baddie standing in stuff you bring some added utility to the table (aoe sprint, pop into bear form and taunt an add away, brez, macro your healing touch to be on a tank for a little extra healing)

If by top guild you mean any guild trying to do Mythic. The lower the rank the more they will be min/maxing because they need it more.

as far as legion goes, there isn't really a way to tell if we'll have to stack a certain melee for a mechanic. and like someone said earlier, it's normal/heroic groups that care way too much about what spec someone is. not that it isn't important for mythic, but off the top of my head i can't really think of any reason why a feral wouldn't be fine for mythic HFC except for needing two dk's for mannoroth

Quote Originally Posted by Iofeska View Post
    as far as legion goes, there isn't really a way to tell if we'll have to stack a certain melee for a mechanic. and like someone said earlier, it's normal/heroic groups that care way too much about what spec someone is. not that it isn't important for mythic, but off the top of my head i can't really think of any reason why a feral wouldn't be fine for mythic HFC except for needing two dk's for mannoroth
    doesn't really matter, it's about bringing that unique talent/ability, a feral isn't holding you back but it's not helping you either, the less classes you have cheesing or breaking mechanics the harder the fight becomes.

look at mass grip/grips, immunities, huge burst dps, extra strong target swap/multitarget etc.

the less of these you have the less important you are to the raid unless you're doing some insanely strong single target dps that is allowing you to skip a phase or another set of a mechanic.

i can't really think of any reason why a feral wouldn't be fine for mythic HFC except for needing two dk's for mannoroth
    Horrible, terrible, undertuned AoE for last 3 bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    doesn't really matter, it's about bringing that unique talent/ability, a feral isn't holding you back but it's not helping you either, the less classes you have cheesing or breaking mechanics the harder the fight becomes.

look at mass grip/grips, immunities, huge burst dps, extra strong target swap/multitarget etc.

the less of these you have the less important you are to the raid unless you're doing some insanely strong single target dps that is allowing you to skip a phase or another set of a mechanic.
    i'm well aware that they don't bring the tools that other melee bring. i understand they are not as important as other specs. i'm saying they're definitely capable of doing the fights as long as the raid lead isn't incredibly stingy. i'm not saying i think it's good that they bring virtually nothing but dps, because they definitely need something, and since feral is more or less the same in legion as far as i remember, they're probably gonna be in the same boat. unless they have ridiculous damage or something

i'm well aware that they don't bring the tools that other melee bring. i understand they are not as important as other specs. i'm saying they're definitely capable of doing the fights as long as the raid lead isn't incredibly stingy. i'm not saying i think it's good that they bring virtually nothing but dps, because they definitely need something, and since feral is more or less the same in legion as far as i remember, they're probably gonna be in the same boat. unless they have ridiculous damage or something
    every class/spec is capable don't think any spec has ever been so bad it somehow makes your raid worse and encounters impossible, the point was how specs affect the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    Be good... Really, nobody cares anymore what spec you're playing. I've noticed that Normal and Heroic groups are usually the ones who care too much about spec min-max, and not Mythic groups. Same with Rivals/Challengers who will only play a cookie cutter comp when glads/duelists don't give a damn and just play whatever. People do not want to admit their aren't very good at this game, so they focus a lot on composition when it really doesn't matter anymore.
    Very well said!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allowyn View Post
    That's what I did like about the way they did classes after Cata, meant you could play what you were good at and not what the raid required.
    I can see that. It's a two way street though. I have always been a shaman main, and when we would have a tier that we did lackluster dps, it was nice to bring buffs/utility that no one else could bring.

The current situation is:

Bad damage
    Bad AoE
    Bad cleave
    Bad target switching
    Bad burst
    Bad survivability
    Bad utility
    Bad raid CD
    Bad talents
    Bad artifact
    Bad scaling

If that sounds like fun to you then have at it.

I don't play Feral, but the way I earn my spot over similarly parsing DPS is to be raid success focused rather than personal dmg focused. This includes out of game type stuff like: Show up on time, don't contribute to drama, contribute constructively to strategy discussion, be prepared for raids ( watch the video or w/e).

As well as in game stuff beyond hitting the right target as hard as you can while not standing in things which we assume is the base line for someone to want you in the raid. This is stuff like: Volunteer for raid roles that are a DPS loss when appropriate, This is stuff like soaking on Kilrogg, black holes on Xhul, doing runes on Kormrok, targeting the adds in the last phase of Archimonde, going down in archimonde etc. There's only a few spots each raid tier to do this stuff for a given class so you should be eager to do them this is especially true as feral since the situations where this comes up is rarer than rogues/DKs who get a lot of appeal from cloaking and death grabbing things. Use your utility for raid success not personal success. step 1 is just using your utility at all, but once you are doing that use your roars for raid movement like reap, seeds, allure. Use your Heals to actually heal someone and not just auto cast on self. Part of this is also communicating clearly and concisely so that utility is used as well. This also includes appropriate use of defensive CDs a skill that is surprisingly rare.What is appropriate can change on a fight to fight basis, but can be summarized by mitigate as much damage as possible with CDs while not dying to later dmg.

Anyway TLDR is people will play with you if they like you and you're comparable to your replacement so be a team player and you can find a spot eventually since people quit all the time =P

Quote Originally Posted by Vurrin View Post
    I don't play Feral, but the way I earn my spot over similarly parsing DPS is to be raid success focused rather than personal dmg focused. This includes out of game type stuff like: Show up on time, don't contribute to drama, contribute constructively to strategy discussion, be prepared for raids ( watch the video or w/e).
    Excellent advice for getting a raid spot.

However even if you do every one of those if you are Feral you will still get sat a lot, especially in Mythic.
    Last edited by teddabear; 2016-05-28 at 03:58 PM.

Yes there is more to being a good raidmember, then doing good dps or having usefull skills.
    But not every Feral out there is a nice person, is there on time, is preparing for fights, etc etc.
    Every other class has the statistically same types of personalities/people.
    So being a feral doesnt make you a good raidmember.
    Being a feral just demands more (you can depate the degree) being a good raidmember then it would be demaded of a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by teddabear View Post
    Excellent advice for getting a raid spot.

However even if you do every one of those if you are Feral you will still get sat a lot, especially in Mythic.
    Not True. I raid "Mythic"-100% full time feral (Minus the odd 3rd tank boss if required) for years. I show up early. I'm always prepared and I'm almost always top 5 in damage. I'm often first for interrupts/emergency backup if someone derps.

I've never been sat for progression. Often I'm not *allowed* to sit to bring in a trail even if I've needed nothing off the boss for several clears.

Edit: As a side note: I play a Rogue for our alt runs-I've never been pressured or asked to bring it over my kitty.
    Last edited by RayenDark; 2016-05-29 at 03:10 PM.