Valedictorian barred from walking on Graduation due to beard

AMITE, LOUISIANA (WSPA)- The Valedictorian at a high school in Louisiana had to skip his graduation ceremony because of facial hair. He says when he got there, he was told to shave his goatee or stay off the stage.

The school district has a policy against facial hair, but the graduate say he wasn’t asked to shave at all during the year.

Others, who did shave, were allowed to participate.
    http://wspa.com/2016/05/23/valedicto...-due-to-beard/

Kind of sad, apparently this guy was a straight A student. That beard policy is a bit weird and not bringing it up is a little bit stranger.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he wasn't forced to shave it all year then why wait until now? Because he will be in the public eye?

Silly.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

i rocked a lame ass goatee my senior year, but if you asked 18 year old vargulf to shave it off for graduation he wouldve said suck it.

whats worse than the beard thing is the girl who graduated mid term and joined the Marines, completed basic, and then wasnt allowed to walk in graduation in her marine get up. That bums me out
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can't think of any real reason why a policy barring facial hair should exist. Maybe they had a problem with people eating food out of their beard bowls?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I can't think of any real reason why a policy barring facial hair should exist. Maybe they had a problem with people eating food out of their beard bowls?
    I hope he practiced healthy beard hygiene before eating!

10+ Year Old Account
    That's awful. Sounds like it's time for a lawsuit.

I've reported this school. Best of luck to whomever their superintendent is.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Classy

/10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I've reported this school. Best of luck to whomever their superintendent is.
    I'm sure the forum mods will give them a 5 point warning for discrimination. :eyeroll:

It's facial hair. It grows back. I shave my beard off about once a year 'cause I just get bored with it. It's a stupid rule sure, but in the scheme of things, who fucking cares?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    He should have just shaved it. Why should they change the rules just for him? It says in the article itself that other students were asked to shave before the ceremony and they did and they were allowed to participate.

1) Stupid rule, but it's a rule
    2) If he doesn't like it, he shouldn't go to the ceremony.
    3) There is no changing rule for him, that's stupid (but they should change the rule for other reasons, imho, but that's only my opinion)

I really see what's the big deal here (apart from the rule being stupid).

If I go there with a beard and they wont let me, I then decide how much the beard means to me. If it means a lot, I won't go to the stupid ceremony.

That's not even a beard. That's a little tuft of hair he could regrow in a week. Though I'm not sure why he would want to when it looks terrible.

Deleted
    I am all in favor of banning beards permanently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I am all in favor of banning beards permanently.
    Your avatar doesn't agree with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Your avatar doesn't agree with you.
    Good point.
    I had to for the photo shoot >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    That's awful. Sounds like it's time for a lawsuit.
    Since they have a no beard policy it will be a waste of his money and time. Its also high school, time to put it in the past and move on to being an adult and doing more productive things.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

rules are rules... don't like fight to change it but don't QQ when you break it and face the consequences. Its not like it was life or death or anything serious.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    http://wspa.com/2016/05/23/valedicto...-due-to-beard/

Kind of sad, apparently this guy was a straight A student. That beard policy is a bit weird and not bringing it up is a little bit stranger.
    This is clearly a first amendment violation.

Hillarious. Here in Germany it would even be against the constitution to discriminate people because of their look.