Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Why would this turn this into a proxy war?

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you so stupid?

- - - Updated - - -

Should have included free movement to the US. xD
    As Skroe has pointed out in a few of his posts, he doesn't mind proxy wars to achieve some sort of political goal. As he is delighted about the atrocious civil war going on in Syria cause it's "expensive for Russia", what makes you think the same kind of tactic won't be employed against China, at the expenses of nations like... Vietnam for example?

Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    Well yeah, it's true. I'm sorry the truth hurts
    The truth that you apparently can't source in any way, shape, or form.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    What are you talking about. Source what?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Do you recall what I wrote about two years ago in the early Russia threads about the INF Treaty? I said at the time that as grave as Russia's illegal actions in Ukraine are, the INF Treaty violation is much worse.
    I guess one could argue that the USA withdrawing from the ABM treaty in 2002 wasn't helpful either.

Let me put it this way. If China doesn't vacate the islands it's illegally claimed in the South China Sea by the end of the year, they should be evicted from it.
    Agreed.

And pre-emptively, we should destroy (bomb, dismantle, bury, take your pick) every reef, shoal and rock they have yet to build on to prevent future expansion.
    This, on the other hand, seems way too "enthusiastic" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakallanar View Post
    I guess one could argue that the USA withdrawing from the ABM treaty in 2002 wasn't helpful either.
    That's different though. ABM systems are defensive and the treaty wasn't a prototype for anything.

A Global Zero treaty would look pretty much exactly like the INF Treaty, for all ballistic missiles. We've lived the "what happens if one cheats" scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakallanar View Post
    I
    This, on the other hand, seems way too "enthusiastic" to me.
    It's not like anything other than sea life lives there.

Deleted
    That's different though. ABM systems are defensive and the treaty wasn't a prototype for anything.

A Global Zero treaty would look pretty much exactly like the INF Treaty, for all ballistic missiles. We've lived the "what happens if one cheats" scenario.

It's not like anything other than sea life lives there.
    I think he meant that it isn't possible to sink islands into the ocean by bombing them, it would require nuclear devices in the GT size range.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    I think he meant that it isn't possible to sink islands into the ocean by bombing them, it would require nuclear devices in the GT size range.
    They're not islands. They're sand bars and reefs. You could do it with dredging ships, drills and explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    As Skroe has pointed out in a few of his posts, he doesn't mind proxy wars to achieve some sort of political goal. As he is delighted about the atrocious civil war going on in Syria cause it's "expensive for Russia", what makes you think the same kind of tactic won't be employed against China, at the expenses of nations like... Vietnam for example?
    I am not seeing what you mean. We are not syria.

Deleted
    They're not islands. They're sand bars and reefs. You could do it with dredging ships, drills and explosives.
    Thought you were talking about these:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    Try this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...years-ago.html

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    So how does something that happened 40 years ago have any relevance today? As far as I'm aware, the US has helped in efforts to clean the chemical from Vietnam and helped victims.

The main problem I have is that it would probably be a diplomatic fiasco on a scale usually reserved for ideas brought forward (on this forum) by Orlong or Hooked. Pretty much everything in that area is claimed by two or more nations. So you would alienate pretty much everyone in the region by such a move.

the US being an ally with vietnam can only be seen as good. it maintains the statu quo, and in this case doing so prevents millions of deaths in stupid wars
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Our grandfathers fought like dogs, but I believe we can be friends.

Here, help yourself to some guns.

Little History lesson for you Americans; Ho Chi Minh hated China and he didn't like Russia much either, he took their help because he wanted Vietnam to be an independent country and was fully prepared to fight against either country if they had tried to invade once the war within Vietnam was over. He modeled the constitution for Vietnam after the US Declaration of Independence (which was modeled after the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen of 1789) using direct quotes from the former which still stand to this day. He repeatedly wrote to the US president at the time; Harry S. Truman in 1945, to support Vietnamese independence against the French colonial power at the time - to which Truman never answered. You also needed to remember that the reason the US intervened was because they were helping their French allies. Why would the US help a European country hold onto its colonial empire? Well post WW2 France was at high risk of being destabilized and there was a strong communist movement within France itself at the time. The US was worried that if Communists took power in France that the US would lose an ally in NATO in Europe. Also Vietnamese Communism, Chinese Communism and Russian Communism are very different. At the start of Ho Chi Minh's revolution they actually purged communists (Trotsky party members if I remember) in 1945. If you go even further back Vietnam and China have been at war with each other off and on for thousands of years.

Deleted
    And hopefully you'll never be like syria.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    No the main reason the US didn't "win" in Vietnam was anti-war fervor in the US and propaganda victories by North Vietnam like the Tet Offensive.

I say "win" in quotations because its not like we were "losing" either... Militarily the NVA was getting stomped and the VC was literally destroyed and no longer played a factor in the war...

The NVA was destroyed in tet and no longer played a factor in the war. The VC were the guerrilla's. It was the NVA that became ineffective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    [/B]

The NVA was destroyed in tet and no longer played a factor in the war. The VC were the guerrilla's. It was the NVA that became ineffective.
    Perhaps you should read a history book. It was the exact opposite of that, the VC overextended and exhausted themselves in their striking of hundreds of different targets within South Vietnam during Tet. In the aftermath there was virtually nothing left and for the remainder of the war and the VC played a marginal role in NVA operations.

What Djalil is referring to is

1. Russia annexes Crimea and Russia intervenes in Ukraine.

2. The EU and US sanctions Russia as punishment

3. The Russian economy suffers

4. There's a rebellion in Syria

5. Putin has his close ally Assad, the president of Syria, terrorize Syrian Sunnis

6. Syrian Sunnis are driven from Syria like cattle, they go to Europe as refugees.

7. Europe is destabilized.

8. Putin, having his revenge on Europe, rubs his hands in glee.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rust in Peace View Post
    Little History lesson for you Americans; Ho Chi Minh hated China and he didn't like Russia much either, he took their help because he wanted Vietnam to be an independent country and was fully prepared to fight against either country if they had tried to invade once the war within Vietnam was over. He modeled the constitution for Vietnam after the US Declaration of Independence (which was modeled after the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen of 1789) using direct quotes from the former which still stand to this day. He repeatedly wrote to the US president at the time; Harry S. Truman in 1945, to support Vietnamese independence against the French colonial power at the time - to which Truman never answered. You also needed to remember that the reason the US intervened was because they were helping their French allies. Why would the US help a European country hold onto its colonial empire? Well post WW2 France was at high risk of being destabilized and there was a strong communist movement within France itself at the time. The US was worried that if Communists took power in France that the US would lose an ally in NATO in Europe. Also Vietnamese Communism, Chinese Communism and Russian Communism are very different. At the start of Ho Chi Minh's revolution they actually purged communists (Trotsky party members if I remember) in 1945. If you go even further back Vietnam and China have been at war with each other off and on for thousands of years.
    He was also a communist dictator