Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Allarius View Post
    Pretty sure he just got it backwards. A quick wikipedia search netted me this,
    Which is why I was asking if I misunderstood what he was saying. Kind of funny really since he started the post by saying he was giving a history lesson.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Proxy war means they aren't willing participants. In this case, it was they who initial the involvement of the US.

I'm not American.
    "being willing participants" is not an prerequisite of a "proxy war" at all.

Vietnam is allowing Peace Corps to operate in country.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Vietnam is allowing Peace Corps to operate in country.
    Are you sure that's from Vietnam? They look more like Natives from South America.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...s-us/84904786/

Vietnam is looking to buy F-16s, refurbished P-3C, torpedoes, and UAVs. The F-16s will be optimized for Maritime security missions.

Vietnam flying F-16s. What weird places history can go.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...s-us/84904786/

Vietnam is looking to buy F-16s, refurbished P-3C, torpedoes, and UAVs. The F-16s will be optimized for Maritime security missions.

Vietnam flying F-16s. What weird places history can go.
    Selling sensitive technology to a region full of Chinese spies? What can go wrong! *cough* Israelis betraying US for them shekels *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Paklaaji View Post
    Selling sensitive technology to a region full of Chinese spies? What can go wrong! *cough* Israelis betraying US for them shekels *cough*
    The US is speed-retiring the F-16 (about 200 a year). They're not sensitive. The sale would come from the storage stockpile.

7+ Year Old Account
    The US is speed-retiring the F-16 (about 200 a year). They're not sensitive. The sale would come from the storage stockpile.
    Radars, sensor pods... UAV datalinks and engines... I bet the Chinese will be swarming when/if you actually deliver the goods.

And what storage stockpile are you talking about? The zombies that are laying in the deserts?
    Last edited by Paklaaji; 2016-05-25 at 08:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please tell me some of you are smiling at Obama railing against guns in the US then lifting the ban on selling guns to Vietnam. I know I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Paklaaji View Post
    Radars, sensor pods... UAV datalinks and engines... I bet the Chinese will be swarming when/if you actually deliver the goods.

And what storage stockpile are you talking about? The zombies that are laying in the deserts?
    The US doesn't export the family jewels. Most likely they'll be fitted with export-centric Radars and sensors, as was the case with the Indonesian transfer that this is apparently based on.

The US is rapidly retiring the F-16 at a rate of about 200 a year. The older ones are going to be converted to QF-16 target drones or dismantled and sold for maintence parts to foreign users. The newer ones (the ones with fewer flying hours used on their airframes) are / will be either wrapped up and stored away in case the country needs more fighters in an emergency, or, as is the case here, sold to foreign allies.

The stored ones are not the ones in the desert. However it should be noted, that if preserved, even the ones in the desert will be good to fly if needed. Not all of them are intended to be stored in that condition (many are raided for parts), but the ones that are preserved can be fairly easily returned to services.

The Air Force "regenerated" a B-52H in 2014 to replace a damaged B-52H. It was wrapped up and sitting outside for a decade, but is in service now. Chances are they'll regenerate another one to replace the one that crashed two weeks ago in Guam. There's 13 more in storage.

This is what properly stored aircraft looks like. This is the aircraft they reactivated, pre-restoration.

It was sealed. Anything that happens on the outside is literally skin deep and easily repaired

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds...ost-rider.html

There are hundreds upon hundreds of F-16Cs in storage. With 900 more currently in the active fleet, all of them to be retired between 2024-2026, the Pentagon is basically giving ones in storage away for free.

Ocassionally though, there are high winds... and these being aircraft that want to fly... well... accidents happen.

Bonus round: The F-117s are back in their original Climate-Controlled hangars with their wings removed.

Most of them anyway. Turns out, some of them are still secretly flying.

They may be largely obsolete compared to the B-2, F-22 and F-35, but they're still remarkable to look at.

Bonus round: The F-117s are back in their original Climate-Controlled hangars with their wings removed.
    One of the coolest looking planes I've ever seen. I loved the micro machine one of these when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    One of the coolest looking planes I've ever seen. I loved the micro machine one of these when I was a kid.
    Fun Fact about the F-117- it had no forward looking radar (to limit emissions). And because of it's enclosed cockput, very limited visability. And because of it's "kick down the door" job and black color, only flew at night. Which made the F-117 one of the most dangerous and hardest piloting jobs (especially with OTHER F-117s) in the Air Force. Pilots flew with Forward Looking Infrared (so visually). Targeting was via downward looking infrared.

The F-117 was one of the first to run it's missions basically as a program using a Mission Control computer, that largely automated the entire mission the same way a program is executed. It was a varaint of the same mission computer of the space shuttle (the shuttle used the IBM AP-101, the F-117, the AP-102). The modern B-52 and the B-1B also use the AP-101.

Amazing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Of course they were. I meant intervening to the point they would have sent troops ( China ) into North Vietnam if the US had invaded them. Which is what happened in North Korea too.
    I think Korea is why they didn't send troops. They had just fought that war and didn't want to get messed up in another one. We had advisors in Vietnam even before the Korean war was over.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    So Obama thinks Vietnam should be able to have American guns, but not Americans? Makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    China's neighbors actually want the US there. The idea of monolithic communism died when Nixon went to China.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Of course he did. Hes just continuing on with his pathetic apology tour. Next up Hiroshima!!. Cant wait till we get President Trump installed so we no longer will be going around bowing to everyone. They will be bowing to us!!
    At this point you have to be just mindlessly trolling to stir stuff up, stuff so off the deep end like this is just to common, and this is one of your more "rational" tin foil hat comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US doesn't export the family jewels. Most likely they'll be fitted with export-centric Radars and sensors, as was the case with the Indonesian transfer that this is apparently based on.

The US is rapidly retiring the F-16 at a rate of about 200 a year. The older ones are going to be converted to QF-16 target drones or dismantled and sold for maintence parts to foreign users. The newer ones (the ones with fewer flying hours used on their airframes) are / will be either wrapped up and stored away in case the country needs more fighters in an emergency, or, as is the case here, sold to foreign allies.

The stored ones are not the ones in the desert. However it should be noted, that if preserved, even the ones in the desert will be good to fly if needed. Not all of them are intended to be stored in that condition (many are raided for parts), but the ones that are preserved can be fairly easily returned to services.

The Air Force "regenerated" a B-52H in 2014 to replace a damaged B-52H. It was wrapped up and sitting outside for a decade, but is in service now. Chances are they'll regenerate another one to replace the one that crashed two weeks ago in Guam. There's 13 more in storage.

This is what properly stored aircraft looks like. This is the aircraft they reactivated, pre-restoration.

It was sealed. Anything that happens on the outside is literally skin deep and easily repaired

There are hundreds upon hundreds of F-16Cs in storage. With 900 more currently in the active fleet, all of them to be retired between 2024-2026, the Pentagon is basically giving ones in storage away for free.

Ocassionally though, there are high winds... and these being aircraft that want to fly... well... accidents happen.

Most of them anyway. Turns out, some of them are still secretly flying.

They may be largely obsolete compared to the B-2, F-22 and F-35, but they're still remarkable to look at.
    The storage at AMARC in D-M is intended to allow for the return to flight of most planes stored there even after many years. It just isnt the same with all the B-52Gs gone though....