Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I don't feel like there is any balance in the game at all.

I play the game and every time I do more and more I notice the little things.
    For example
    • Tracers reverse time has a reaaallly short cooldown for what it does.
    • Torbs turret is just, broken. Not Overpowered but it shoots through floors, walls and targets players from way too far away instantly. That and he can rebuild it so quickly it makes it more of a annoyance than a hindrance.

Ultimates also charge up so ridiculously fast that the game always seems to boil down to chain Ultimates, victory. Even if you held them off a point for the full 5 minutes, that will 90% of the time win a game.

I dunno, I like the game a lot but I wish that there was a little more effort in making it so that it's not just a matter of picking heroes for their ultimates or get out of jail free abilities that can be used without much consequence.

lol don't play arcade then...

Deleted
    Balance? Well, anyone can play any character. There's yer balance.

Tracer is *really* fragile, and very vulnerable to splash damage or anyone that can pepper the area with constant shots (Junkrat, Pharah, Winston, etc...).

Torbjorn's turret is also very vulnerable to splash damage, as well as snipers or a shielded Reinhardt + other combo.

Ultimates charge up fast, but rounds are also played very fast, so there is some correlation. Chaining the right ultimates at the right time is an important strategy to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    The B in Blizzard is for 'balance'!

Actually, it's for Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Tracer is *really* fragile, and very vulnerable to splash damage or anyone that can pepper the area with constant shots (Junkrat, Pharah, Winston, etc...).

Torbjorn's turret is also very vulnerable to splash damage, as well as snipers or a shielded Reinhardt + other combo.

Ultimates charge up fast, but rounds are also played very fast, so there is some correlation. Chaining the right ultimates at the right time is an important strategy to learn.
    Fragile doesn't matter if they can reset every 5 seconds. I feel like in place of actually thinking about how you approach a situation it comes down to "They are beating us. Change to X heroes, chain ultis. Play of the game"

I wouldn't mind if heroes were more difficult to play. I think there is too much handholding

Quote Originally Posted by chesder View Post
    I wouldn't mind if heroes were more difficult to play. I think there is too much handholding
    Someone hasn't played Genji, Widowmaker, or Zarya obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Someone hasn't played Genji, Widowmaker, or Zarya obviously.
    Widowmaker is only as hard as any other sniper in any other shooter. Not hard, just not for everyone.

Genji has literally the easiest toolset in the game, bad genjis run in recklessly and use their abilities early. Not Hard, just takes patience and a midrange distance.

Zarya? Are you kidding? She's the easiest tank, and one of the strongest. Her Shield is so powerful and she can deal insane damage very quickly. If anything I think she contributes to the problem of short CD's. Her personal shield gets her out of so much trouble that you can easily use it incorrectly and not be punished.

I play the game and every time I do more and more I notice the little things.
    For example
    • Tracers reverse time has a reaaallly short cooldown for what it does.
    • Torbs turret is just, broken. Not Overpowered but it shoots through floors, walls and targets players from way too far away instantly. That and he can rebuild it so quickly it makes it more of a annoyance than a hindrance.

Ultimates also charge up so ridiculously fast that the game always seems to boil down to chain Ultimates, victory. Even if you held them off a point for the full 5 minutes, that will 90% of the time win a game.

I dunno, I like the game a lot but I wish that there was a little more effort in making it so that it's not just a matter of picking heroes for their ultimates or get out of jail free abilities that can be used without much consequence.
    Thats the thing though. There is no balance as everyone can switch heroes as they want so Blizzard does not have to balance them.
    It's a smart move as they don't actually have to spend any time balancing the game. They can just say: Play some other hero if X hero is bad.

More money for less work.

Deleted
    Overwatch doesn't really look like a game that's been designed for the top 1% of the top 1% of FPS players, so all these kinds of "balance" discussions and so on are pretty moot.

If you watched Conan's Clueless Gamer where he had Overwatch, and they play on consoles, that's pretty much the level of player you can expect on the console side. On the PC side it's obviously a bit better and an MMR will help, but it doesn't feel to me like this would be the most professional "esport" FPS out there.

It's just a fun little FPS to play 5 minutes and then go have a wank.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Thats the thing though. There is no balance as everyone can switch heroes as they want so Blizzard does not have to balance them.
    It's a smart move as they don't actually have to spend any time balancing the game. They can just say: Play some other hero if X hero is bad.

More money for less work.
    I think it just makes the game more stressful because you can't just play the hero you want because so many abilities just trump them. Instead you are locked into a small pool of heroes who have overly useful abilities and ultimates that just win games.

Balance is important in any game but even more-so in one that is meant to be competitive. If they aren't going to go for the TF2 gameplay where you can do anything, anytime, and just have silly fun then Blizzard designing the game in this way just shows laziness and an inability to understand what makes a game enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    The balance is really not bad depending on comp. This isn't a game that you can sit on your hands all game and circle jerk/poke - you need to swap your char out with others each game. Try it out <3

7+ Year Old Account
    blizzard has show stellar track records of balancing their games for pvp, I;m very surprised this one falls short

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    The balance is really not bad depending on comp. This isn't a game that you can sit on your hands all game and circle jerk/poke - you need to swap your char out with others each game. Try it out <3
    I hero swap at least once on most games. But that's not my argument. Hero swapping is great and all, solves a lot of problems. But I would love to see an infograph that shows which heroes people switch to. I bet 90% of them are switching to things like Junkrat, Reinhardt or Lucio. And that's the problem.

blizzard has show stellar track records of balancing their games for pvp, I;m very surprised this one falls short
    No they haven't. If WoW is any example, they just don't try anymore.

Cant wait for some of the strawman bullshit thatll appear in this thread, gonna be glorious to see over the next few days. "Bastion literally repair n never die OPhero totally unstoppable" "well if you play mei and do 50 somersaults n eat spaghetti cabonara whilst jerking yourself off killing every character is easy!"

Aaaay lmao made up strawman arguments.

Personally I think the balance is ok,

some things frustrate me and my confirmation bias of being owned says some things are OP because i suck. Maybe the same applies to you.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2016-05-25 at 01:26 AM.

Fragile doesn't matter if they can reset every 5 seconds. I feel like in place of actually thinking about how you approach a situation it comes down to "They are beating us. Change to X heroes, chain ultis. Play of the game"

Fragile comes into play simply because she gets killed. She is that fragile. Reversing time works great against certain characters, but for others she doesn't get the chance.

Ultimately it's a casual friendly game, which I'm pretty sure is what Blizzard was going for. It isn't CS:GO or ARMA 3. I don't think it's too easy, it's just that team composition and strategy make a real difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Cant wait for some of the strawman bullshit thatll appear in this thread, gonna be glorious to see over the next few days. "Bastion literally repair n never die OPhero totally unstoppable" "well if you play mei and do 50 somersaults n eat spaghetti canonara whilst jerking yourself off killing every character is easy!"

Aaaay lmao made up strawman arguments.

Personally I think the balance is ok,

some things frustrate me and my confirmation bias of being owned says some things are OP because i suck. Maybe The same applies to you.
    I don't get owned really by anyone except the occasional really solid Widowmaker or Tracer.

This isn't some whining about "I got killed by X therefore X is too strong." I honestly feel that the game is horribly balanced and instead of promoting better play of this or that hero, it just says "Having trouble? Just play the go to stronger hero who can carry you and your team really hard."

There isn't just one. There are several, but its not 21. Its like 7 or 8. And in any game, if there is a better choice, you pick the better choice. No one cares about how great you are struggling to do something when others can do it with half as much effort. (Hanzo is just... the worst hero in the game.)

Hanzo is just... the worst hero in the game.
    Still got more tournament play than Mei, who all the casual players decided was OP hero of the month once they figured out how to kill Bastions. Hanzo has plenty of uses, scatter arrow is a solid counter to both Genji and Tracer. If you're playing him as a sniper, stop. He will not consistently match Widow at distance, unless the Widow is bad, but he's very solid at mid range and for enclosed spaces to stop flanking heros. Just because he isn't played every game and doesn't counter every hero doesn't make him bad. The only hero that even feels like it needs buffs is Zen, and even then he's already pretty scary against some heroes.

Edit: I won't say that the game doesn't have any balance issues. It does have a few, mostly that some heroes are too strong against low level players and too weak against high level players (Bastion, Torb), but there's not really a hero that doesn't have a use in the game or that isn't the best choice for some situation. I think from what I've seen in tournaments and my own play, McCree/Tracer/Widow/Lucio seem a bit stronger than other heroes, but any nerf too significant is going to put them right at the bottom.
    Last edited by Saiyoran; 2016-05-25 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyoran View Post
    Still got more tournament play than Mei, who all the casual players decided was OP hero of the month once they figured out how to kill Bastions. Hanzo has plenty of uses, scatter arrow is a solid counter to both Genji and Tracer. If you're playing him as a sniper, stop. He will not consistently match Widow at distance, unless the Widow is bad, but he's very solid at mid range and for enclosed spaces to stop flanking heros. Just because he isn't played every game and doesn't counter every hero doesn't make him bad. The only hero that even feels like it needs buffs is Zen, and even then he's already pretty scary against some heroes.
    Lets be honest. Tournament play this early on is just guesswork and time. Give them some more and you'll see some really dumb metas come up with heroes who were thought useless before.

I think it just makes the game more stressful because you can't just play the hero you want because so many abilities just trump them. Instead you are locked into a small pool of heroes who have overly useful abilities and ultimates that just win games.

Balance is important in any game but even more-so in one that is meant to be competitive. If they aren't going to go for the TF2 gameplay where you can do anything, anytime, and just have silly fun then Blizzard designing the game in this way just shows laziness and an inability to understand what makes a game enjoyable.
    Overwatch is what was left after Titan was scrapped.
    It's not like they put much time, money or effort into it and they sure don't want to wast money working on it after release.
    Just a little something to make use of what was left after they spent years developing Titan.

You are right though but Overwatch is not the game you're looking for.
    It's wierd that they made people think that paying full price for it was a great deal though but hey. If Blizzard knows one thing, it's how to sell stuff.