Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A quick hotfix to fix leveling today

While Blizzard is hotfixing leveling, they should consider this proposal to fix a major problem of questing (outleveling):

Add an ***OPTIONAL*** NPC at each race's starting area that reduces all EXP gains by:
    60% from level 1-60
    40% from 61-100.

This would be just like the NPC that reduces all EXP gains by 100%.

Reward players who have kept this npc's buff from level 1-100 with a level 100 boost.

Net effects:
    1. Players take twice as long to level
    2. Players are given the same effective levels for their time investment
    3. Players can enjoy the leveling content without fear of grey quests in every zone.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by styil; 2016-05-25 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Reward players who have kept this npc's buff from level 1-100 with a level 100 boost.
    This part muddles the intent.

For players who enjoy questing, taking the slow route, and taking extra time with their characters, your NPC idea works well. It gives that type of player what they want. Why is the reward a way for them to skip the content they enjoy?

10+ Year Old Account
    no, they just need to reduce scaling on players, or increase mob health and damage 1-90 by at least 50%, upwards of 100% at lower levels

Deleted
    Yes bad people and casual people should never be max level and allowed to play with us. Add lvl30 50 60 80 and 100 proving grounds - to progress they need to be at least gold. And then again at level 100 with ilvl 700 - they must do the 30wave thing. I hate how people with skills have to bother with fast levelers.

And people who raid top level should have free instant max lvl boost service and max level legendary progress so they don't have to bother with the scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyvah View Post
    This part muddles the intent.

For players who enjoy questing, taking the slow route, and taking extra time with their characters, your NPC idea works well. It gives that type of player what they want. Why is the reward a way for them to skip the content they enjoy?
    Because they would normally would have received two level 100's with that time investment. So I feel that it's fitting that they are rewarded with two 100's for that time investment.

And besides, they have the option not to use it.

They don't "need" to do shit. Leveling is aimed at new players, not old jaded "I-know-everything-there-is-to-know-about-the-game!!!"-levelers.

What they CAN do, is use the Keystone and scaling system to add optional routes (as in won't affect newbs) for those with experience, where mobs do more damage and have unpredictable AI, you do less damage, the use of heirlooms doesn't work and you gain experience slooooowly. There could be rewards at the end of these journeys in the form of mounts, pets, titles, and so on.

Mobs just doing more damage and XP being gained slower wouldn't pose a challenge to anyone experienced...or, shouldn't. So many seem to be Mythic raid levels of challenged by the Classic leveling experience no matter how many times they do it.

-"Your entire guild is stuck on Mythic Gorefiend?? Method wiped 400+ times on M Archimonde?? HAH! I die to MURLOCS in Elwynn forest even on my 3rd time through, clearly I'm the one more skilled!"...<.<

I want actual (but optional) difficulty, not the illusion of one hidden behind a grind.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-05-25 at 01:09 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The movie is coming out very soon, and with it will come many new players. They don't want new people to be instantly bored and look at the game as an utter joke with 0 challenge, which at low levels it definitely is. I hope they continue to tweak the leveling experience to a more engaging experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    They don't "need" to do shit. Leveling is aimed at new players, not old jaded "I-know-everything-there-is-to-know-about-the-game!!!"-levelers.

What they CAN do, is use the Keystone and scaling system to add optional routes (as in won't affect newbs) for those with experience, where mobs do more damage and have unpredictable AI, you do less damage, the use of heirlooms doesn't work and you gain experience slooooowly. There could be rewards at the end of these journeys in the form of mounts, pets, titles, and so on.

Mobs just doing more damage and XP being gained slower wouldn't pose a challenge to anyone experienced...or, shouldn't. So many seem to be Mythic raid levels of challenged by the Classic leveling experience no matter how many times they do it. <.<
    I want actual (but optional) difficulty, not the illusion of one hidden behind a grind.
    This solution isn't to fix difficulty while leveling. It's to fix the outleveling of zones that occurs while leveling. Your problem is an entirely different one that requires a different solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperspeed View Post
    The movie is coming out very soon, and with it will come many new players. They don't want new people to be instantly bored and look at the game as an utter joke with 0 challenge, which at low levels it definitely is. I hope they continue to tweak the leveling experience to a more engaging experience.
    Newsflash, but that "utter joke" leveling without challenge, was a thing during the height of the game's popularity.
    Not everyone plays this game to "be challenged", quite a few actually play it just for fun. It is to them that leveling has been tuned with the help of data collected by Blizzard.

If you want it to take longer, go seek that out.
    Go Ironman.
    We keep getting suggestions that the difficulty should be just handed out on a platter, contradictory to the demand for more difficulty ironically.
    If you want a challenge, something to take more effort then put in the effort to look for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

For you that are saying leveling is a compete joke, have you tried the WoW Ironman challenge (http://wowchallenges.com/) ?

Equip nothing but whites or grays
    Do no pick a spec
    no health pots or outside buffs\help

You can skip the part, where once you die, that toon stays dead.

Leveling can be has hard as you like to make it. Stop depending on others (Blizz in this case) do make it harder for you, empower yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    For you that are saying leveling is a compete joke, have you tried the WoW Ironman challenge (http://wowchallenges.com/) ?

Do no pick a spec

Leveling can be has hard as you like to make it. Stop depending on others (Blizz in this case) do make it harder for you, empower yourself.
    None of those are solutions to the problem outlined in the OP. They are solutions to a different problem (mob difficulty).

None of those are solutions to the problem outlined in the OP. They are solutions to a different problem (mob difficulty).
    I haven't tried it the since cata, but are you saying that even with no heirlooms that you can still out level a zone? And how much are you really going to out level it? I think you'll find with white and grays gear, that being 4-5 levels above the mobs it will still be a challenge and isn't that what it's about? or is the desire to fully clear a zone and still be within the upper limit of the zone e.g. 31 in a 29-31 zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post

Do no pick a spec

When we've had those discussions, the people most for "challenge" when leveling call the Iron Man "artificial" and "not the real thing".
    Sure, maybe it isn't...but was Classic leveling the real thing? Ai was still as dumb, it was tuned so that it would be a GRIND...but was it really mechanically difficult? Did people that leveled more than one character really struggle every single time, despite that predictable AI?

To be frank, I don't think new players (to whom low leveling is aimed) go into the game as jaded as MMO-C posters, going "Well look at that I outleveled a zone and mobs go down instantly omfg what a casual game for baddies!"...

When I was new, I one-shot a weird bird and felt pretty damned epic for it. This was before the Cata revamp...

15+ Year Old Account
    While Blizzard is hotfixing leveling, they should consider this proposal to fix a major problem of questing (outleveling):
    Or you know just keep doing the content you've out leveled. Nothing forces you to move one once you are X level. Keep doing it and you will get reduced XP to the point of 0. If you care about the story of a zone then you shouldn't care about the little bit of XP you'll miss by finishing it out. You can always come back later to finish it up or do a zone you can now skip.

Your net effects also don't mesh. If it takes twice as long to level it won't be the same effective levels for their time even with a free character boost. There is nothing to fear about grey quests if you want to enjoy the content. If you care about XP and the story then even your system won't help. It really seems like a way to get a free character boost.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account

Add an ***OPTIONAL*** NPC at each race's starting area that reduces all EXP gains by:
    60% from level 1-60
    40% from 61-100.

This would be just like the NPC that reduces all EXP gains by 100%.

Net effects:
    1. Players take twice as long to level
    2. Players are given the same effective levels for their time investment
    3. Players can enjoy the leveling content without fear of grey quests in every zone.

Thoughts?
    when you have 10 plus toons you dont wanna spend too long leveling especially with crz slowing you down.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

Mobs just doing more damage and XP being gained slower wouldn't pose a challenge to anyone experienced...or, shouldn't. So many seem to be Mythic raid levels of challenged by the Classic leveling experience no matter how many times they do it.

-"Your entire guild is stuck on Mythic Gorefiend?? Method wiped 400+ times on M Archimonde?? HAH! I die to MURLOCS in Elwynn forest even on my 3rd time through, clearly I'm the one more skilled!"...<.<

Exactly this. Making leveling difficult just drives them away.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Exactly this. Making leveling difficult just drives them away.
    I agree with you all the ways.. if people want a challenge of levels blizzard needs to just give the Hard Core players a legacy server and be done with it.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Blizzard is not going to give you a free level boost outside of buying a new expansion when they can make you pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    What... you just destroyed the whole point of your thread. You're giving people the option to try get slow leveling back but then give them a free 100 that skips it all for doing so >_>
    I'm giving people the option of really enjoying the leveling experience once vs. rushing through the zones twice.

If you wanted to get 2 more alts to max level which option would you prefer? Which option would Blizzard prefer?