Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How does mcrees ult work?

Im new to the character ive never gotten a single kill with this ult, anyone got some tips lol?

When you press Q, any enemy within your line of sight will be automatically locked on. When you press Q again or the ultimate's time limit is up, any enemy locked on will be shot at with a super powerful shot. Locked on enemies will be enclosed in a circle that closes the longer your locked on to them. The tighter the circle, the more the damage.

Use it, a circle will appear on every enemy in your sight which ticks down, higher HP heroes taking longer, but once it's done, you click to fire and 1 shot everyone with the completed mark on them, unless they are behind a shield or wall.

Hmm i think thats what i am doing, maybe i am pressing fire too soon.

It targets everyone in your field of vision that's an enemy, and I believe pulling the trigger then will get some damage done on all of those targets. However, for it to be a kill shot the targeting reticle has to change to a skull icon, which takes I think 2-3 seconds. Activating it, waiting for skulls to appear, then firing it, is how you get the kills, but it also means you're vulnerable to counter fire if the enemy team sees you.

Since you're slowed, you're an easy target, so it's best used when you can get the drop on them (sometimes literally, best one I've ever seen used a ledge to drop down on us from behind) or they are otherwise occupied. Much like when Pharah's ultimate is used, people generally either will run for cover or try to take you out first if they can.

Also, you must check if it's High Noon.

Deleted
    damage increases in increments of 100 for every second you have it active, meaning that you have to charge it for longer to kill targets that have higher health. when a red skull appears it's an insta kill

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephostopkek View Post
    damage increases in increments of 100 for every second you have it active, meaning that you have to charge it for longer to kill targets that have higher health. when a red skull appears it's an insta kill
    Gamepedia says that it's 170 dmg/sec increase.

http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/McCree#Ability_Breakdown

I found even with the target bots on the practice map that no matter what I do Mcrees ult does basically nothing...
    I can hold Q til it runs out or click during it, but I can't get him to shoot.

You are not doing something right.

Concept is not hard. You activate... the circle around them fills until it turns to a red skull, then you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    I found even with the target bots on the practice map that no matter what I do Mcrees ult does basically nothing...
    I can hold Q til it runs out or click during it, but I can't get him to shoot.
    Which bots? A reinhardt shield can block the ult I believe.

I am a horrible McCree so not fit to advise! His ulti is one of the least intuitive to use IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    It always is... somewhere in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I am a horrible McCree so not fit to advise! His ulti is one of the least intuitive to use IMO.

It always is... somewhere in the world
    You click it, see red skulls, shoot and targets die, what's not intuitive in that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    You have to wait for red dots to appear/focus for instant kills. If you fire it when you dont have red dots, it will do less damage and no instant kills unless target is on low health.
    correct me if i'm wrong, but the less current health target has the faster red skull appears. Full health roadhog with shield+armour will take the longer time to skull to appear (since it's 170 damage per second), but the same roadhog who just got full-charged headshotted twice by Widowmaker will get "high nooned" in a matter of second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Activate, let it target, bang bang bang bang bang bang. Then you get play of the game.

also keep in mind in your enemies eyes you turn into a big orange glowing silhouette of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    It's always High Noon somewhere in the world

Start it around a corner and reveal yourself for effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You click it, see red skulls, shoot and targets die, what's not intuitive in that?
    When to release is not intuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    When to release is not intuitive.
    you release when you see the skulls. skulls mean dead. pretty intuitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta wait until the red skull appears. If you press it even a ms too early you're gonna gimp your damage