PC Rebooting while gaming

Hey there,

So ever since I moved to London , my pc randomly restarts while playing some of the more demanding games. The event viewer does not specify anything and i get no bluescreen even if i turn off the restart on error thingy from the system tab. It just seems like i'm pressing the reset button.

My specs are : I7 4790k
    Gtx 980
    16 gb Ram DDR 3 1600
    Zalman 750w PSU
    1 SSD
    2 internal HDD
    2 external HDD

I had the same specs while in another city and everything was working fine but there have been 3 changes i guess since moving here.

1. I got much more powerfulset of speakers though i doubt that has any effects.
    2. I connected a TV to my GPU so now I have 2x monitors + 1TV output( though i doubt it's because of that because even if i disconnect the TV it reboots).
    3.Added an extra eternal HDD

Things that i have tested in trying to pinpoint the issue :
    CPU and GPU temperatures : Both of them at around 50-55 max when gaming so no overheating issue there.
    Tried to stress test my GPU and CPU to see if i could trigger the reset and failed ( even on 3dmark firestrike 4k which had both my cpu and gpu at 100% and fans spinning like crazy it did not reboot).
    Tried removing the ram and putting them back again to see if it helped. It didn't.
    Tried to rollback to older drivers. No luck either.
    Dusted off the case but there was no excessive amount of dust so nothing there.

Basically I am at a loss on why this is happening and what can i do. It happens on any newer games and it's getting very annoying. I am thinking of buying a newer PSU since that's the oldest component i have but before i commit to that do you guys have any advice?

Thanks!

Deleted
    most likely PSU, might be that those Hard drives just draw a bit too much for the "old PSU" to fail randomly. then a gain I mention NVidia driver issues just check GeForce forums for some feedback on driver version.

Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    Hey there,

So ever since I moved to London , my pc randomly restarts while playing some of the more demanding games. The event viewer does not specify anything and i get no bluescreen even if i turn off the restart on error thingy from the system tab. It just seems like i'm pressing the reset button.

Gtx 980
    16 gb Ram DDR 3 1600
    Zalman 750w PSU
    1 SSD
    2 internal HDD
    2 external HDD

I had the same specs while in another city and everything was working fine but there have been 3 changes i guess since moving here.

2. I connected a TV to my GPU so now I have 2x monitors + 1TV output( though i doubt it's because of that because even if i disconnect the TV it reboots).

CPU and GPU temperatures : Both of them at around 50-55 max when gaming so no overheating issue there.
    Tried to stress test my GPU and CPU to see if i could trigger the reset and failed ( even on 3dmark firestrike 4k which had both my cpu and gpu at 100% and fans spinning like crazy it did not reboot).
    Tried removing the ram and putting them back again to see if it helped. It didn't.

Basically I am at a loss on why this is happening and what can i do. It happens on any newer games and it's getting very annoying. I am thinking of buying a newer PSU since that's the oldest component i have but before i commit to that do you guys have any advice?

Thanks!
    eternal HDD? I want one of those. An HDD that lasts an eternity would be awesome!!

Joking aside, sounds like a power issue. I would test the PSU if you can, or just replace it, or perhaps pick up and try a power conditioner if you do not have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    eternal HDD? I want one of those. An HDD that lasts an eternity would be awesome!!

Joking aside, sounds like a power issue. I would test the PSU if you can, or just replace it, or perhaps pick up and try a power conditioner if you do not have one.
    Depends on what you store on the HDD

Anyway, I unplugged the external HDDs and tv from the pc and tried to make it reset yesterday and failed. Worked perfectly fine so i ordered a new 850w psu just to be on the safe side and hope it stops my random reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    Hey there,

Gtx 980
    16 gb Ram DDR 3 1600
    Zalman 750w PSU
    1 SSD
    2 internal HDD
    2 external HDD

Thanks!
    Download a debugging utility that can read BSOD reports and tell you what the codes are referring to. Whocrashed is a decent one that's free for home use. It can at least tell you where the problem most likely is originating from, and point you in a direction to begin solving it. Random restarts can mean a number of things, really.

Well looks like the psu was the culprit. Bought a new one last week and pc has been running fine ever since with no reboots in sight.
    Thanks for the tips!