Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post

"It is not about creating an intellectual space! It is not! Do you understand that? It's about creating a home here!"

Too late. :P
    Holy shit...I visited those New England Ivy schools, and Yale actually looked more moderate than the rest (U Penn was pretty much stuck in the 1700s).
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

colleges are becoming a perfect example for why eugenics is probably a damn good idea.

You know, this is pretty hilarious along with being troubling. It's simply amazing that there are people like this even thinking about doing college. How the fuck did they make it past super spooky and difficult high school?

Also, I was one of the people that has little issue for patting people on the back for actually trying. This is far beyond a back pat.

Deleted
    Lol. "Being arrested on campus makes it too hard to study so I want every below average grade to be abolished and a legit way to not take exams."

Ummm maybe you should, dunno, perhaps not be a criminal. Also, stop being a self- entitled reason for abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavios View Post
    Well, i can't talk for liberals, and i dont associate myself with a political leaning as i can often see the right wing point of view, most people would see me as a leftist, but yeah, this is retarded.

I don't agree with the whole SJW-crowd and PC is fascism in disguise to me. That being said, the anti-SJW crowd is as pathetic as their counterparts. Glad it's not like this here in Europe.
    The problem with the anti-SJW crowd is that the minute they see any flaws with the current educational system, they immediately take a beeline toward concluding that all the problems with society are caused by toxic PC safe space feminazi culture, and that we should just go back to the way it was in the 1950s where people were clearly much better educated than they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizix View Post
    I strongly disagree, although it always kind of depends on the professor. But if we assume they are smart and professional people who don't want their hard-gained academic reputation thrown out of the window because of bias towards some first-year student, then oral examinations are a great way to assert knowledge. Students have an opportunity to show their actual reasoning, correct their answer if they realise it is wrong or illogical and the professor can immediately challenge them, see if they really have understood the material. It's also great practice for future job interviews ^^ We had a mix of the two methods at my university and it was refreshing.
    Sure, but it does depend on the professor. I would trust a well accepted paper test to assess a student's knowledge on a subject than a human interview. Human error is far more likely than bad tests. If you mix paper and oral, that's fine overall as discrepancies may be seen if students are found doing terribly on one and not the other.

But to keep it strictly oral to test a student's understanding of the material, I don't see a lot of good coming out of that. "Hmm she seemed to know most of the stuff, should I give her a 85 or 90?". I do know there are subjects like debates and public speaking that could benefit with purely oral exams, because that's the nature of the course. With academic courses in Math, Science, law, business, IT, etc. a paper exam of some form is mandatory IMO. Oral would simply be a supplement.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    It could be the start of something more... generalized-humanity thing.
    I can imagine a few years from now (maybe 10-15), where employers are forced to hire from all fields equally.
    For example, 20% engineer degree, 20% gender studies, 20% economy, etc-etc.
    Oh, and of course, they have absolutely no right to filter results based on the quality of their degree - because there will be no grades. People just go on a 5-year "lesson", and they will have a diploma, and they will have a job.
    No difference in money paid, either. Everyone gets the same, except for the untouchable elite.

Nice!
    Disregarding the crazy, this is actually a step toward Star Trek utopia. I still think it's crazy, though. We should just skip this step and go straight for Star Trek.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The problem with the anti-SJW crowd is that the minute they see any flaws with the current educational system, they immediately take a beeline toward concluding that all the problems with society are caused by toxic PC safe space feminazi culture, and that we should just go back to the way it was in the 1950s where people were clearly much better educated than they are today.
    Are you sure that's the problem with anti-SJWs and not just your strawman of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Disregarding the crazy, this is actually a step toward Star Trek utopia. I still think it's crazy, though. We should just skip this step and go straight for Star Trek.
    Star Trek has a merit based systems in everything. What he's describing is opposite of merit.

Nothing he said resembles Star Trek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So liberals are the only ones who have children? Seriously, this blaming everything on da ebil libruls is pretty pathetic.
    I guess I used the wrong word. When I said liberals I meant:

1st world, spoiled, progressive to the point of bing regressive, usually young and unexperienced, never to had experience hardship, overly marxist, arrogant, narcissistic, lying, childish, entitled, tmblr derirative, ignorant, selfish, hostile, projecting, problem glasses wearing, undisciplined, all to often millienials, human beings who often seem to put more effort into activism rather than studying in collegue they dish slave debts on their very souls only to end up suprised why their privilege checking doesnt impress employers which further pushes them into hating the world as it is rather than doing some self-reflection.

Is there a short word to define those kind of people? Because I keep hearing them reffer to themselves as either liberals or progressives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    I guess I used the wrong word. When I said liberals I meant:

1st world, spoiled, progressive to the point of bing regressive, usually young and unexperienced, never to had experience hardship, overly marxist, arrogant, narcissistic, lying, childish, entitled, tmblr derirative, ignorant, selfish, hostile, projecting, problem glasses wearing, undisciplined, all to often millienials, human beings who often seem to put more effort into activism rather than studying in collegue they dish slave debts on their very souls only to end up suprised why their privilege checking doesnt impress employers which further pushes them into hating the world as it is rather than doing some self-reflection.

Is there a short word to define those kind of people? Because I keep hearing them reffer to themselves as either liberals or progressives.
    Why do you pretend a couple of people represent everyone? For every 1 person like the people in the OP there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of students going to college and doing the hard work necessary to graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Why do you pretend a couple of people represent everyone? For every 1 person like the people in the OP there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of students going to college and doing the hard work necessary to graduate.
    The same reason of handful of politicians making a dumb law means all of North Carolina hates gay and trans-rights people.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Are you sure that's the problem with anti-SJWs and not just your strawman of them?
    Fair enough. How would you reform the education system then?

Deleted
    Because each and every time I hear about those things I dont see just a single person but usually a crowd of such tightly defined folks. And even if it's just one single person, his/her/it story also mentions a huge crowd of people who treat him/her/that as martyr/hero which indicates that there is more than one person like that in the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Fair enough. How would you reform the education system then?
    Are you asking this to get a serious reply? Would take me days typing up hundreds of pages.

This thread is about idiotic kids who think skipping class should be rewarded. How about we start with telling them to fuck off with that sort of thinking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. Electing to remove themselves from stressful situations early on will just save them the disappointment of crushing failure later in life when said stress has real world implications.

Because each and every time I hear about those things I dont see just a single person but usually a crowd of such tightly defined folks. And even if it's just one single person, his/her/it story also mentions a huge crowd of people who treat him/her/that as martyr/hero which indicates that there is more than one person like that in the whole story.
    Yes, there might be a dozen or 2, but if it's anything like my college there are 10s of thousands of students there.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Are you asking this to get a serious reply? Would take me days typing up hundreds of pages.

This thread is about idiotic kids who think skipping class should be rewarded. How about we start with telling them to fuck off with that sort of thinking?
    There are plenty of posts in this thread that approach the topic seriously without drifting entirely into political BS, shouldn't you also be able to make a relevant point in less than a hundred pages?

Deleted
    Yes, there might be a dozen or 2, but if it's anything like my college there are 10s of thousands of students there.
    I assure you there is more than dozen or two if we have things like Social Justice Officer, speech codes and other such nonsense in universities/collegues.
    Your place is sane, congratulations, but over there is cancer you should be concerned with.

It isn't always about volume. A random yahoo who thinks men have no place at college might mean nothing. But make that yahoo a dean, a professor or a counselor and the game changes.

SJWs aren't liberal by the very definition of the word. They're usually leftist, sure. I'm a liberal and think most of the shit they say is 100% bullshit. You can't take this tiny, but loud, minority and associate it with the majority of people. That's the same collectivist bullshit THEY do.

The left is in conflict with itself over these people, and the right are not helping the sane leftist fight the insane. They instead spread bullshit about how stories like this is solely a liberal thing... So, we have to fight you and them at the same time. How about you stop grouping us all together?