Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Talking [Character] What was so horrible about Jar Jar Binks?

I always laughed at the funny way he said "ex-quease me" .. xD, those were the good days, ...(no offense if you had a crappy childhood) - nostalgia or what!?

Deleted
    Well, I kinda like him. He's a bit annoying but well, he's supposed to be. Nothing wrong with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I like this and if you didn't then you had a crappy childhood".
    Logic!

To me Jar Jar was like watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or Space Jam. He was the clunky annoying thing that ran rampart throughout the movie, weirdly animated, with the rest of the cast acting weird around him. It was so obvious he wasn't on set and they pasted him in afterwards and you could tell by the rest of the cast attempting to act as if he was but failing to fully embrace him as a 'co-star'.

Next to that, he was solely put in there to attract a broader audience by making 'funny' occurrences to get the crowd to laugh and giggle at this stupid endeavors. He wasn’t in there because the Star Wars fans would like him as a character.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    "I like this and if you didn't then you had a crappy childhood".
    Logic!
    that was about calling my childhood the "good" days. Was bein sensitive in case yours wasn't

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    that was about calling my childhood the "good" days. Was bein sensitive in case yours wasn't
    Misinterpreted that then, my bad!
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he was an annoying character, but he wasn't terrible. He certainly wasn't the reason why the prequels were so bad. And I love the Darth Jar Jar theory, so that's fun too.

He was not the sith lord that was promised.

He was a symptom of a much larger problem.

Mostly how it costs millions of dollars and hours to render him when that effort and money could have gone into the script/directing/editing.

It's a problem from a pre 9/11 world that hardly anyone considers anymore.

Everything - he had no redeeming features.

He was badly animated, annoyingly voiced, had no real reason to be the way he was, didn't advance the plot and his dialogue was poorly written.

I gave Star Wars Episode 1 a total score of -4. That's 7/10 for the movie and -11 for Jar Jar.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    At the time people loved The Phantom Menace but as time went on it become cool to hate on it because the prequels weren't as good as the originals, in the future I imagine people will see them in a better light as I doubt Episode 7 will age as well as The Phantom Menace.

Jar Jar just became an object for hate for the people who didn't like the movie. It feels good to have something to hate on when get dissapointed. It's just like the masses choose to hate on Justin Bieber for no real reason. He's not any worse than the other mainstream pop artists.

The problem is largely that he's tonally inappropriate to the rest of the movie, and the franchise in general. Star Wars always had humour and lightheartedness, but is was generally a little more dry and believable within the context of the setting. Jar Jar Binks and his slapstick goofiness was something straight out of a cartoon, and it's horribly jarring to see him alongside all the dour, stone-faced characters of the prequels. Humour in a movie should be organic to its tone and setting, and Jar Jar just isn't. Despite this he is ironically the best written character out of everyone in The Phantom Menace because he actually has a strongly defined personality and a proper character arc, unlike everyone else. The problem is that he's completely out of place.

He didn't fit in a star wars movie. He didn't have any other purpose than comic relief and he failed to fulfill that one purpose. 100% fail.

I liked 1-3 more than 4-6. Jar Jar... I'm indifferent about. Darth Jar Jar is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not quite sure what I think about the entire Gungan race. All of them felt copy+paste (apart from the king) with sometimes a different skin.
    He had some silly antics and (sadly) my wife liked him as a character, but I personally felt he was a bit out of place and didn't really contribute to the overall story.

Deleted
    Well he was a racist stereotype who added nothing to the plot. I mean some characters only met because Jar Jar was around, yes, but the movie could have worked without him. He isn't essential. He was only added to be funny. He just wasn't.

Granted his character was at least consistent and made sense as far as racially insensitive goofy comic relief characters can. Unlike basically everyone else in the movie. But the movie was crap and the general public hated Jar Jar, so it was easy to point to him when asked about why the movie sucked.

Misplaced, and broke with the genre IMO. Much the same as the inane portrayal of Legolas and Gimli in LotR.

He was annoying and felt out of place if the would have been even close to the original trilogy in terms of tone. Actually he fits right into the prequels.
    Maybe watch the plinkett reviews. Basically the best you can get when it comes to pinning down the failure of SW 1-3.

Deleted
    Jar Jar Boinks!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    To me Jar Jar was like watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or Space Jam. He was the clunky annoying thing that ran rampart throughout the movie, weirdly animated, with the rest of the cast acting weird around him. It was so obvious he wasn't on set and they pasted him in afterwards and you could tell by the rest of the cast attempting to act as if he was but failing to fully embrace him as a 'co-star'.

Next to that, he was solely put in there to attract a broader audience by making 'funny' occurrences to get the crowd to laugh and giggle at this stupid endeavors. He wasn’t in there because the Star Wars fans would like him as a character.
    To be fair, the Star Wars prequals were some of the first big movies to use this new technology. Of course most actors weren't used to working with nonexistant animated actors.

Also, I don't see how Jar-Jar doesn't fit the movie. The original 3 movies had plenty of goofy aliens, Yoda even being one of them. Yoda acts like a goof ball when Luke first encounters him as well. Why don't people criticize Yoda? I think it's largely just a jump the bandwagon hating going on.

I actually think the Star Wars prequals are more enjoyable than 4-5-6. They have a lot more story and aren't as drawn out and boring.