Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I saw Warcraft movie in premiere yesturday

Hello ! I am a french guy who saw the warcraft movie yesturday. So, I'm sorry if my english is not perfect.

I want to share you my feelings about this movie without spoilers. Why? Because i saw the notes from Metacritics and RT. To be honest, I must bring justice for this movie, because I can assure you this: Warcraft movie deserves a chance and a shot from you guys.

If you like the warcraft universe, please, go watch this movie, give it a chance, it deserves it!

At the moment, it's the best movie based on video games (by far) and it didn't suck!! The trailers were really bad. If you like the warcraft universe and you are not reluctant about some changes in the lore (some are better), well you will enjoy the movie.

Let's talk about the movie. It's been since Warcraft 3, I wait a Warcraft movie. Since Warcraft 3, I'm a fan of this universe, the lore and the ambiance. The movie respect very well those 3 aspects. You are feeling you are in Azeroth!

In general, I liked the movie. Even if it's far from perfect and they made some changes from the lore (some are better, some are worst). But it's really feel like a true movie and not like a cinematic, or a movie with only fan service (like mortal kombat...)

The movie respects well the main story and the universe of warcraft. The CGI is really great and make you enter in the movie! I generally don't like the CGI, but this one is great, even if it has some wierd and bad CGI rarely. The armor and weapons feel less plastic than in the trailers, but still a little bit.

About the actors and the characters:

- Lothar (Travis) is for me, the only character who doesn't feel like «feudal». All the characters are, except him. He is a great actor, and unique don't get me wrong. But I didn't feel like a true commander of a human army in a feudal universe. He acts more like his character Ragnar in Viking, like an actual person on our world (with funny jokes).

- Khadgar is good. It is really the young apprentice who is a geek tand who is in search of the knowledge and want to learn the truth of Medivh. Pretty good (even with his pedo mustache). Probably my third favourite character of the movie (its between him and Durotan for the third place).

- Medhiv was my favorite character. He is very good Powerful and mysterious at the same time, such as should being Medivh! The only disappointment was that the movie did not enough develop his "twist" (if you are a fan of the lore, you know about what I speak).

- King Llane was .... OK. Nothing transcendent. However, I loved his decision at the end of the movie. A good change from the original lore. Great job Duncan Jones for this change!

- Garona...Believe me or not, she was for me the biggest surprise in term of actor's game and character development. Yeah you heard this ! My mind was blown apart ! It is a really well realized character and Paula Patton really put a lot in this character ! Her final twist is really great, even better than the original lore. My second favorite character of the movie!

- For orcs, they are great in general except Orgrimm who was a little bit disappointing, and BlackHand at the end.

For me the main issue I have with this movie was its duration. Too SHORT, way too short ! It's feeled a little rushed sometimes. It was really lacking one half an hour to develop certain moments and certain scenes. For example, we do not show enough that Draenor is a dying world.

Other scenes were less good also. The changes on the lore are sometimes good (especially why Garona makes "this" to king), others were less good.

In term of fan service (the BAD ONE), the movie only bring one fan service, which make it feel like a real movie. It was not only a movie made for fans and for the wrong reasons!

This fan service was: We saw quickly a murloc and he yell the famous «mrgrlglrlglr»

Overall, I like this movie ! Far from perfect, but still better than some Marvel movies which are endless....It's a fresh, new and unique movie. If you are a fan of Warcraft, don't listen RT and Metacritics, go see and judge yourself! Since the movie will be out in the 10 June in USA, why they are already critics on RT and Metacritics? Answers: mainly Trolls (well not everyone) !

If you have questions, I will answer them with pleasure !

I hope you liked this quick review !

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for your review, it´s the same feedback Im hearing from France too.

No thank you, the movie is loaded with retcons to the point where I see fans being the hardest on it, simply because its not "the first war", its a bunch of people reenacting the first war without any idea who or what the people in it were. Lothar wasn't "feudal" despite being one of the most feudal people in the setting? Doomhammer is a Frostwolf? Just about everything involving Garona?
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    No thank you, the movie is loaded with retcons to the point where I see fans being the hardest on it, simply because its not "the first war", its a bunch of people reenacting the first war without any idea who or what the people in it were. Lothar wasn't "feudal" despite being one of the most feudal people in the setting? Doomhammer is a Frostwolf? Just about everything involving Garona?
    You're the one who refuses to accept the 10(?) year old change that Garona is half draenei right, despite it actually making sense that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Well, it's an adaptation of the movie, so it's sure it will have some changes. If you don't like some changes, well sure you will not like it. But they are far better changes than WOD story plot....

However, some changes are far better, specially for Garona, which is a not interesting character in Warcraft universe (ok she did THIS important thing, but that it).

Up to you if you want to give a chance or not.

I'm just here to share my point of view and bring an honest review, which they are many trolls on critics.

NP Artam

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Horgrom View Post
    In term of fan service (the BAD ONE), the movie only bring one fan service, which make it feel like a real movie. It was not only a movie made for fans and for the wrong reasons!

This fan service was: We saw quickly a murloc and he yell the famous «mrgrlglrlglr»
    So there is no "Leeeeeroy!" in it?
    I'm reffering to a joke Duncan and Kazinsky once made in an interview.

10+ Year Old Account
    But.. There are absolutely no retcons in it, it was said ages back this isn't canon to the games and that it's essentially the Blizzard Cinematic Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    So there is no "Leeeeeroy!" in it?
    I'm reffering to a joke Duncan and Kazinsky once made in an interview.
    Nope, no Leeroy. And tbh, i'm glad

Is there a post credit scene?

Nice to see someone with some goods and bads without going nuts on either side, thanks for that.

Looking forward to seeing it myself tomorrow.

About how you felt the length wasn't quite where it should be, Duncan Jones has said that he'd like to do an extended edition because certain scenes aren't in the movie atm. Maybe if that happens it'll have just the bits you thought were missing. :P

I am still amazed how some people still don't understand that you can't make lore into a movie with no changes.

Some things that work in a book setting does not work in a movie setting.

Every movie in the world that is based on some source material has changed the material to fit the movie universe better (LOTR, Harry Potter, MCU).

Who the hell cares if Doomhammer is a Frostwolf or not, it probably does not matter in the movie. I could understand that if they made Doomhammer a female gnome, people would be pissed, but he being a Frostwolf, cmon, you can't get upset over that. Surely you are not that small-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    You're the one who refuses to accept the 10(?) year old change that Garona is half draenei right, despite it actually making sense that way?
    When did I ever refuse that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by QuiksLE View Post
    I am still amazed how some people still don't understand that you can't make lore into a movie with no changes.

Some things that work in a book setting does not work in a movie setting.

Every movie in the world that is based on some source material has changed the material to fit the movie universe better (LOTR, Harry Potter, MCU).

Who the hell cares if Doomhammer is a Frostwolf or not, it probably does not matter in the movie. I could understand that if they made Doomhammer a female gnome, people would be pissed, but he being a Frostwolf, cmon, you can't get upset over that. Surely you are not that small-minded.
    Doomhammer is a frostwolf. That says a lot about how much "care" was given to the source material.

Thank you OP. It is confirmed by the many feedback posts seen in French cinéma theaters right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    you know the movie isnt canon right?
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

When did I ever refuse that?

- - - Updated - - -

Doomhammer is a frostwolf. That says a lot about how much "care" was given to the source material.
    You do realize that the movie is NOT "Cannon" towards the rts games...right?

EDIT: Fuck, Orby beat me to it.

He is a frostwolf in the movie to avoid the explanation why He and Durotan are best friends.

Makes sence from a movie point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    You do realize that the movie is NOT "Cannon" towards the rts games...right?

EDIT: Fuck, Orby beat me to it.
    I wouldn't exactly call that a free pass to just flat out change things for the sake of changing them. Nor was there much reason to keep the the movie from the canon. Thats the point. There has been plenty written about all this that the changes are just there to make the movie from being warcraft, and instead be "loosely based on the hit video game warcraft!". Its fanfiction when it didnt need to be. Clearly it was meant to bring people in to the game as well, and they'll be coming to something that isnt related to the warcraft movie. While fans will be coming to something that isnt related to the warcraft game. There was no attempt made to make the two related, and thats stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiksLE View Post
    He is a frostwolf in the movie to avoid the explanation why He and Durotan are best friends.

Makes sence from a movie point of view.
    As was already a current trend in the first seen feed backs ... ANY movie adaptation has to make concessions to reality. Or you will have movies that take 100 hour in one sitting.

Hardcore Lore Lovers : concentrate on the good points, not on some sign that is out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Horgrom View Post

If you have questions, I will answer them with pleasure !

I hope you liked this quick review !
    Could you please describe if the movie universe differs from the video game universe? And if so, in which ways - how much? Does the lore differ for the setting of this movie? Is it like a Marvel - Dc multiverse setting where minor details can differ here and there depending on media used?

I mean Things like Garona's parents are they the same in the movie as they are in the video game for example? Or other possible differences if you noticed any?
    Spoil away if you please I actually love spoilers

Mercy beaucoup in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    As was already a current trend in the first seen feed backs ... ANY movie adaptation has to make concessions to reality. Or you will have movies that take 100 hour in one sitting.

Hardcore Lore Lovers : concentrate on the good points, not on some sign that is out of place.
    So they kept the brown skin for the frostwolves (none-canon) despite then needing to go ahead and explain this, but couldnt go "Doomhammer, Durotan's blood brother from another clan".

It's change for the sake of change.