Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Nah, from what I've seen, that seems something many agree on. But to be honest, the same thing happens with LotR and Marvel, it's just that they've already made sequels to expand on those characters and places. The alternative is focusing on two or three characters, which wouldn't feel like a war. They've chosen to give a couple characters depth but still rely on the more shallow ones for a broader scope.

-We- know the background and the future of all these characters, we know the depth is there at some point. The movie apparently does a well enough job at introducing these characters, it just doesn't have time to make them interesting while also telling a story.

It is, after all, an origins story.

Except it does a poor job of actually explaining things. Take Gul'dan for example. Evil gul'dan and his "green magic" (yes that is a thing) has managed to destroy an entire world and no one cared for it till Durotan decided to do something about it, in a new world, no less. They have gone out of their way to remove any mention of demons or where Gul'dan got his power. So he is just a "mage" with green magic. How do you destroy entire planet with green magic, turn most Orcs green (???) and yet, there is an entire clan that has escaped the curse? Who cares.

Movie is too short. It adds sh..t load of characters but wastes precious time on Lothar hitting on Garona or worrying over his son to the point that lot of these characters are only there to make an appearance. Wasted precious time on "alliance" and all the other bs when they could have added depth to characters. I understand that DJ was trying to add scope this new world but again, movie is too short and all this came at cost of actually creating a plot with real depth. 25-30 mins of extra story would have helped this movie greatly but hey, I am just a bitter fan

We should have read the sign when few twitter comments said something along the line of people not getting the movie even though the plot if made dumber than what Warcraft originally had.

I am still going to watch the movie but suddenly I wish Sam Raimi was directing this movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Warcraft has a similar problem as Batman v Superman. It tries to setup a franchise while splitting the story into two while also telling its own story.

It's Civil War without any previous MCU movies. In two hours you have to meet both sides, find them interesting and understand the conflict they go through. It's pretty much impossible.

Unlike BvS, though, I think there was no better way to make a first Warcraft movie. You can't make an Alliance movie and a Horde one afterwards. These factions don't stand on their own, they need each other for the conflict. I hope it does well enough to get sequels, because the story is going to need them.

You can have Batman without Superman, but you can't have Lothar without Orgrim.
    There was no alliance. Movie has suffered greatly because they tried to broaden the scope too much in very little time. LOTR had same problem but it did something great at the very start of first movie. It covered entire story of Sauron in 10 mins. This is how they should have covered entire story of Draenor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    snip
    Christ, would you just shut it until you actually watch the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post

You are really slow, aren't you? You do understand that everything negative I have said has zero impact on me, right? You do get that fans are not the people these reviews are meant for, right? If I watched the movie tomorrow, how exactly that will change of perception of some random guy who doesn't know anything about Warcraft? It is they who think movie is bad. It is I who is bitter because of those reasons. Duncan effectively killed any chance of sequel even if this movie does well on box office. Warcraft will only reinforce video game movie reputation among general audience. This might even doom coming Assassin's Creed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    Less than 3/5: "wow fuck them biased critics lol, shit review"
    3/5 or more: "good review!!"
    Well, one of the most balanced and objective reviews (you can say that from the effort he put in analitycally judge the movie without shitting on it with tons of snark and cheap humor) pretty much gave it a 3/5. So yeah, I'm going to conclude that such is the fitting score.

People can shit on this movie as much as they want, but Warcraft is the best videogame adaptation we got so far. We still have to wait for a great videogame movie but, as a reviewer said, with Warcraft seems like we're "buffering for it".

That said, I have gone through various non-fan reviews and there is general consensus. Story is too simple, there are too many charecters with little plot development and too many things are added for future movies that make 2 hr movie a rush job. Instead of building a story, DJ went with cliches to grab attention.
    That sounds like nothing more but your little agenda, since it's not a point raised by decent reviewers.

However yeah, the actual problem of the movie is that it's too short. Telling a story, develop characters and do all the world-building in 2 hours or so is too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    imdb score is going into a dive

brace yourself warriors, rating is going to pin our sequel dreams

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    He insists that the lore is the problem or how it's explained, when the actual problem is the limits of filmmaking and the obvious challenge that represented introduce such a vast universe to the general audience. It would have been a challenge for everyone, especially since not many directors apart Peter Jackson had a real chance to do such a thing.

I'll still pick this every day over whatever crap Sam Raimi intended to cook up.

"The World of Warcraft movie with a badass human hero who's not Varian".

No, fuck. I'm fine this way.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

I can only laugh at the people that were praising this as something on the same quality level as LotR. The critics will rip it a new one and the IMDB ratings are in free fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well boys, there is no way back anymore, all we can do now is watch the movie and hope for the best + they make enough $$ for a sequel.
    Because fuck the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Msi View Post
    Well boys, there is no way back anymore, all we can do now is watch the movie and hope for the best + they make enough $$ for a sequel.
    Because fuck the internet.

We are not getting a sequel. Fans are hyped and it should do well in most markets. Problem is that fans will not come for second or third movie. You need to build an audience for sequel.

Unlike BvS, though, I think there was no better way to make a first Warcraft movie. You can't make an Alliance movie and a Horde one afterwards. These factions don't stand on their own, they need each other for the conflict. I hope it does well enough to get sequels, because the story is going to need them.

I don't entirely agree. You could do the first war from the humans' perspective only. That is, still showing the orcs, but only showing them as the human see them: Like the brutal, war-mongering lunatics they were before blizz retconned them into misunderstood shamans who are just trying to survive! T.T

Then expand the orcs' stories in the following movies. Though I guess it would end up taking several of them before we got to see the orcs as anything but ravaging murdermachines. Though that would've been fine with me... so sick of every story having to be constantly gray/grary from the perspective of almost every actor who isn't presented as pure evil, and all the stupid internal fighting that lets us get away with cheering for the killing of the real bad guys on both sides and so on. It's a really hypocritical, manipulative tactic that does exactly the same thing it's trying to admonish the audience not to do... but I've started ranting.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    We are not getting a sequel. Fans are hyped and it should do well in most markets. Problem is that fans will not come for second or third movie. You need to build an audience for sequel.
    Dream on, there will be a sequel, this movie will easily get double it's budget and that's enough for a sequel.

Deleted
    Looks like the movie sucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    I can only laugh at the people that were praising this as something on the same quality level as LotR. The critics will rip it a new one and the IMDB ratings are in free fall.
    Never really thought LOTR was that good, also critics and imdb don't matter. Only thing that matters is $$$.

No self respectable human goes on what critics say, critics only give good grades to the same boring historic movies, not to mention they can be bought, as someone who knows a good and respectable critic, he himself actually stated many times that it just takes a few thousand euros to bribe them nowadays because their relevance has been in decline for a few years now.

Not to mention, he did a background check on all these so called critics on RT, and he said neither of them are in any of the official movie critic associations both in US and internationally (yes there are associations for movie critics and they are rather revered positions, if you aren't in it, you are crap pretty much), so take their opinion with a grain of salt, and decide on your own opinion to go watch movies or not.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2016-05-25 at 01:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't stand how negative some people are on this thread, or how much they enjoy the doom of this movie.
    Last edited by Graden; 2016-05-25 at 01:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free fall? It is rated 8.8 and it was 9.0 before. While I do not think that the movie will keep those ratings, you are being a bit ridiculous with your over exaggerations.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2016-05-25 at 01:17 PM.

I think you are a bit ridiculous to think 9.0 on <2k ratings is a REAL rating.

I rest my case.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-05-25 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    He insists that the lore is the problem or how it's explained, when the actual problem is the limits of filmmaking and the obvious challenge that represented introduce such a vast universe to the general audience. It would have been a challenge for everyone, especially since not many directors apart Peter Jackson had a real chance to do such a thing.

I'll still pick this every day over whatever crap Sam Raimi intended to cook up.

"The World of Warcraft movie with a badass human hero who's not Varian".

No, fuck. I'm fine this way.

How do you limit yourself when you waste your time on story then never existed in first place? I mean did Lothar really need a son? When you make a 2hr movie, you need to count every second. Fellowship had smallest run-time of 3 and it was 160 mins long! PJ wasn't trying to sell a popcorn movie. Last LOTR movie was over 200 mins! People didn't care because story was compelling and acting was top notch. Warcraft fails on every account. Acting was flat to worse and plot was too simplistic or just missing. All this just so that they can develop cliched love between green alien and good human.

If you believe this is best anyone can do with a video game movie then I guess it's a good thing there won't be a sequel!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    It was kind of goofy. Human mortar units for example. Clicking on heroes constantly created funny quotes from the heroes.
    Yes, if you pestered units you got funny responces, the story itself was quite serious, I assure you.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fitting rating is either a 3/5 or 7/10. This is what transpires from the most objective reviews.

10+ Year Old Account

I rest my case.
    So why are you here? stop bashing and leave.
    And yes people should take IMDB with a grain of salt.