I saw it this morning with my frieds and it was a bit...meh.

As a movie it's lacking, but as a fanservice it's really great. Some really bad acting (the king, the queen), some others are good (khadgar, lothar). I found that you need to know about the lore and the games to enjoy it, as there were lots of people asking about things not explained in the movie that we're supossed to know. The CGI is really great, but there are moments that looks like they are WIP (gul'dan at the beginning of the movie, some mountains around the portal). Good OST. People seemed to hate that we are supossed to like orcs. Medivh's story seemed rushed and not well explained. Khadgar is uber cool.

5/10, and I can't recommend it to people that don't know the games and the lore.
    Last edited by Feahnor; 2016-05-25 at 02:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Decent.

Not crap.

I would put those in the so bad it's good category.

None of those are actually good, just not terribad.
    How do you define good? Is it your personal taste or is it measurable?

For example, the first Mortal Kombat does what it should do. It is a decent movie for the general audience that doesn't know the game, while it still follows the storyline and setting of the videogame perfectly. And it was popular enough to warrant a sequal. That's what I consider a good video game movie adapation.

The sequal was bad though. It tried to do too many things and just felt out of place, it catered more to the fanbase of the game while not taking into account the general audience. That's why it failed. If you didn't know the game you would feel like non of it was coherent.

But the titles I named all did pretty well. Surely not deserving an 8 or 9 score, but certainly not bad either.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    That would be because it was. It fulfilled the primary function of a movie - it entertained me.
    Most fans found The Phantom Menace very entertaining when it came out, but it aged poorly. I envision Episode 7 aging even worse as it's basically just a fan service film, most of it's "coolness" comes from nostalgia and references to or things borrowed from the older films, it does very little to stand on it's own and when it does it's quite cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    But the titles I named all did pretty well.
    Financially. That wasn't what we were talking about though.

Just here to point out that when LotR came out, critics gave it a low score, like 6/10 or 5/10.

Now they turn arround and say "Oh, you see, this is not as good as that old cult classic, LotR", which at the time they rated poorly.

Also, a lot of it probably has to do with the expectation of a Game of Thrones sort of thing when it's very much not.

Deleted
    From the first teaser released I knew I won't like it. The funny thing is I don't know what I don't like about it. What really bothers me is how it looks. The CGI is beautiful but the actors and the settings all look uncomfortable to me. Like that uncanny valley effect. I think the thing is that the actors and the real items like armor and weapons look like toys compared to the CGI versions. They have so much more textures. It's like real life doesn't live up to the CGI if that makes sense and that really bothers me. Feels like an itch that you can't scratch.

Their game trailers are beyond beautiful. In my opinion Blizzard is the best at this. I know that the costs would be huge but I would have prefered it if they made an entire movie the same way they do their trailers. This current thing feels too artificial for me.

Fuck all those retards that call themselves critics, I don't give a fuck about any of those losers, regardless of their opinions. The only critic I agree with is moi. So obviously I would first have to actually see the movie before I go "omfg, this is shit/amazing"

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Thing with critics is.. well they're pretty much all telling from their subjective point of view. To get an idea if you will like a movie or not, you'll need to find a critic who've historically turned out to agree with your views, and also realise that none will of course 100% match yours.

For me it's MovieBob. Though I can really disagree with his reviews from time to time (I liked TASM 1 and the second one did not "break" me), I usually find that his perspective is on point with mine and thus I value his input.

An average of average meter like RT or user ratings on IMDB.. well it does give some indication, but it's nothing to get hung up on. I don't for example view The Shawshank Redemption as my favourite movie ever.
    Moviebob can be quite pretentious at times, though I generally consider him to be solid. I'm more of a Stuckmann/Schmoes guy myself. Still gonna see Warcraft in the theatres because I highly doubt the movie was made for the high and mighty critics.

Quote Originally Posted by Springrunner View Post
    Just here to point out that when LotR came out, critics gave it a low score, like 6/10 or 5/10.

Now they turn arround and say "Oh, you see, this is not as good as that old cult classic, LotR", which at the time they rated poorly.

Also, a lot of it probably has to do with the expectation of a Game of Thrones sort of thing when it's very much not.
    Nonsense. LoTR got good reviews from day one.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...?page=12&sort=

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    5 early reviews and you know the doomsayers over here are going to be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post
    Nonsense. LoTR got good reviews from day one.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...?page=12&sort=
    Well, the reviews over here were bad. Probably because fantasy literarity was not a thing here. Also I'm seing bad commments there, specially about the fighting.

Edit: Back then people used the internet a lot less. The reviews I'm recalling were from newspapers.
    Last edited by Springrunner; 2016-05-25 at 02:58 PM.

I think the story is pretty cheesy (not Duncan's fault, the whole WoW lore is pretty cheesy) and to build orcs like they are in the game but keep humans just normal makes the humans stick out like a sore thumb. But I will wait for more reviews before I decide to watch it. I'm sitting on the fence right now.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Most fans found The Phantom Menace very entertaining when it came out, but it aged poorly.
    I think it was more to do with the RedLetterMedia spoof that gained incredible popularity and made people realize just how much they didn't understand about the art of movie making. I never liked the newer Star Wars movies from the start because they didn't fit the original films I'd grown to love, but I didn't hate them either and I can still watch them today and enjoy them on some level. It even feels like a sin to admit it now.

As far as this movie goes, I expect heavily mixed reviews which should make these boards an interesting place to be over the coming weeks.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    As far as this movie goes, I expect heavily mixed reviews which should make these boards an interesting place to be over the coming weeks.
    Time will tell if it's wizard or not :P

Deleted
    lets not forget that people who didn't like a movie or a game always speak the loudest.
    I've waited for years to see this movie and the only thing that I'll believe are my eyes. Nothing else.
    So I'm going to watch that stuff. For some reason i do think that i'll enjoy it alot.

I honestly don't give a shit the critics' reviews. I saw Batman v. Superman TWICE, and it got lampooned by movie critics. I'll watch it because I want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    For some people, WoW is their life.
    This stigma didn't just appear out of nowhere

When you attack the movie, you attack their reason to live.
    Yeah, noticed that. Especially on SoL and in the legion threads.

"You dare say Legion is a WoD copy HOW DARE YOU !!!! LEGION IS AWESOME XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD"

Batman vs Superman got worse critics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post
    Yeah shame that some of us don't have the time to watch 500 movies a year and have to rely on others, whose jobs it is to watch and review movies, to recommend us some.
    If you take your recommendations from critics then you're doing it wrong, really wrong. There's plenty of alternatives for finding movies you'll like, mostly social media and family / friends.

In the case of the Warcraft movie I'd rather listen to the opinion of a fan than some critic that has zero knowledge of the Warcraft universe.

I'm watching it anyway, and I'm really hoping it does well enough for us to eventually get a Second- and Third War movie. I want big-screen Scourge action.