Oh noes.. people who aren't me don't enjoy it. I'll be watching it for my enjoyment, not cause of someone else's view on the matter persuaded me to see it. I might enjoy it, I might not, but a critic won't be able tell me which it will be till I've seen it for myself.

Deleted
    Imdb has 2500 ratings right now. 2000 of them is 10/10 which means it's probably bought or just pure fanboyism or even asked to vote this way (their own employees).
    What I find it interesting is that Blizzard has 4700 employees and there is only 2500 votes on IMDB right now. Feels like Blizzard employees don't even bother to vote.

But alright, not expecting much, but I'll form my own opinion after watching the movie.

After seeing trailers, the movie can't flop for me.

I don't care about lore that much, I just want my favorite setting come to life through a movie.
    And that's what I'm getting.

It literally can't suck even if they mixed all the scenes and the story made no sense.

I will see orcs from Warcraft, FFS! 25 years I've been waiting for it! That's enough for me..

Quote Originally Posted by Springrunner View Post
    Just here to point out that when LotR came out, critics gave it a low score, like 6/10 or 5/10.

Now they turn arround and say "Oh, you see, this is not as good as that old cult classic, LotR", which at the time they rated poorly.

Also, a lot of it probably has to do with the expectation of a Game of Thrones sort of thing when it's very much not.
    Critics fucking hate live action tolkienesque fantasy. If it doesn't absolutely blow their minds into subatomic particles, it's complete garbage. If you want a fantasy movie to succeed, make it animated, produced decades ago in the Age of Future Nostalgia or based on an extremely lucrative book series like Harry Potter.

There's also a strong bias against video game adaptations because video games are considered nerd entertainment with zero art value outside of the industry, much like comic book movies were in the 80s and 90s. We've just begun to see financially successful artsy-fartsy games emerge on the market, so we're still far from the day where video game adaptations will be as respected by critics as comic book movies are today.

With that said, Warcraft is a really generic and shallow universe. If the goal is to stay faithful to the source material, the end result is going to be a generic and shallow movie.

Not much of an incentive for me to see the movie in a theater, I feel "meh" from watching the trailers and they're not offering free WoW game time in my country.

I like they orc animations, but the spell effects especially cast by Khadgar/Medivh look absolutely corny.
    Stormwind armor worn by Lothar and soldiers looks plastic-y.

Overall I just don't get that "Warcraft" feel from watching the trailers, feels like just another fantasy movie.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind looking at the percentage rating a movie gets, but I absolutely hate reading reviews. ESPECIALLY before you go see the movie. Who the fuck wants a bunch of other people's thoughts in their head the whole time they're going to watch it? A bunch of ridiculous losers who can't make up their own minds about something and feel the need to follow the general consensus like a bunch of sheep. If I ever read a movie review, which I rarely do, it would be AFTER I see the movie and my make up my own mind about it.

I even hate movie trailers, for the most part, unless they're super short teasers. Why does anything think it's a good idea to show the entire movie plot and spoil all the coolest or funniest scenes before you even see it? That makes it boring, seriously. I know SOME trailers are done well, thank god, but I've seen a lot that really do show the entire plot of the movie from beginning to climax. That leaves so much to discover, and ruins so many of the twists and turns.

Think about it this way, why do you like playing video games? I'm sure there are plenty of reasons, but the random discoveries aspect, I feel, is a very important one. You would enjoy a game SO much more if you played it the way it was intended to be played, instead of reading thirty reviews, and watching fifteen gameplay videos. Those things help to significantly downgrade your experience. The twists and turns that are ruined because of it make the overall experience much less exciting for you. Much less of a personal experience. If you've got some pessimistic critic's words ringing in your ears the whole time you play the game (or watch the movie) then you're just LOOKING for those things they complained about, and getting ready to get disappointed or angry over them. It's just stupid. Sometimes I think people like being disappointed.

As a final note, I'm not really surprised at all. Just the phrase "Warcraft" has a serious stigma to it. The name is sullied, and anyone who isn't already a fan has a high chance to despise the movie without even watching it. The millions of Warcraft video game fans could really help the fan percentage rise, but at the same time knowing how everyone on these forums are.. I feel like if 99% of the posts and replies on these forums are negative crying and whining about the game, everyone is going to look for reasons to hate the movie as well. I've played each expansion (at varying lengths each time) since BC. I wasn't really present on forums until a few years ago, and even then I don't post as much as I browse and read, but it really is shocking how much QQ goes on here. Did that change since the earlier days? I know people in game feel different to me compared to before. No one talks anymore in dungeons, they hardly ever even say greet you back when you say hello. People in trade are more negative and ill-contented as ever. There's far less joking around, far less friendly help going on, and far less comradery. It seems as if the older the WoW community got, the more they turned into sour old angry people.

Book, video game, or movie. I urge you to make up your own minds, people. You'll have a better time doing so. Experience things with a sense of unknown adventure and an open mind. Don't spoil shit for yourself. Surprise and intrigue are crucial to a good experience.

Who give a fuck about what 10-20 "critics" says about a movie? you like the movie? good, thats important. The real people must say if is good or bad, not the "elite gods in earth im a critic"
    Last edited by Baneador; 2016-05-25 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    People only care about critics, professional or not, when in agreement. If the embargo lifts and we see a flood of 7, 8, 9, or 10s and it becomes certified fresh or whatever then all the sudden Rotten Tomatoes is a reputable source and is jammed down the community's throat in much the same way we're seeing these threads pop up.

As for IMDB, I will say that it shouldn't be an entirely trusted source at this point because it allows anyone to rate and review the film. I know there have been early screenings but I doubt they're all from those who participated. I can literally go there, give it a 10, and regurgitate lore facts to make it seem like I saw the movie but that would be entirely misleading and me being a shit head. Unfortunately, I know a lot of folks who likely would do what I said above or the opposite but that's merely anecdotal.

At this point, all we're seeing from most posters are fringe dick measuring contests from both extremes by those who either love or hate the franchise too much. Underrating a movie by those who wish to see the movie fail because they have an axe to grind with Blizzard and overrating the movie because you have a raging erection for all-things Warcraft are both equally detrimental to the bottom line where the average viewer sits.
    I agree with this critic!

There is a point to seeing where the reviews go, and that's the fact that they'll influence many non-fans one way or the other.

As someone who'll probably love this movie, I want it to succeed and have sequels, I want people to get interested in the Warcraft universe, even if it's only the cinematic one. Critics aren't the most important thing in the world, but they can make a difference.

What bothers me isn't that these reviews are negative, it's that most of them are terrible. Comparing the movie to other movies without analyzing it on its own, writing full paragraphs of insults and funny names, wasting more than half of the review just telling the synopsis. Who feels informed enough to make a decision after reading that?

I wouldn't like a positive review that just said "It's like LotR but better!". I mean, I would like seeing that, since it would probably make a lot of people go see the movie, but I would still think it's a shitty review.

Quote Originally Posted by metzger84 View Post

All those movies you listed really do kind of suck though, and are "recognized as masterpieces" only by die hard fans.
    these movies dont have "fans", no one dresses as jack from the shinning to comic-con, those are great movies.
    Be feared, or be fuel

My favorite review was from the Guardian. They're trying to pull that (oh the evil orcs are darkskinned, Durotan is the good orc that has light skin) bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Dark Knight View Post
    these movies dont have "fans", no one dresses as jack from the shinning to comic-con, those are great movies.
    No shit. At the most, maybe a few people will cosplay as Tyler, but most people don't associate cosplay with dressing like Harrison Ford from Bladerunner or that creepy sex bear from the Shining.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalernia View Post
    Why are you so upset that some people dislike the movie though? Seems like you do care what other people think after all.
    I was expecting mixed reviews all along.
    Like I mentioned earlier, I honestly think some reviews shows a accurate representation of what some people who are unfamiliar with the warcraft universe would think whatching the movie. Let's be honest.
    Doesn't mean it's going to be a flop or anything, and like some of you have pointed out, it certainly won't make a difference to whether you'll like it or not.
    How did you infer that I'm upset that people dislike the movie? Thats a huge leap.

idgaf if people hate it or not.

Deleted
    Ah cmon people, it will still be a fun watch on Netflix on a boring Sunday afternoon

10+ Year Old Account
    When are movie critics ever positive about anything anyway?

Who cares who rates what how and why, everyone can and will decide for themselves.

We don't need someone telling us.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dark Knight View Post
    I've seen the twins from The Shining at TWO conventions.

The prospect of a predominantly white, European realm being invaded by foreign, primitive, darker skinned hordes (they are actually called the Horde) might set alarm bells ringing in our current climate of immigration anxiety. Is this a veiled Ukip broadcast? Or a pro-Trump one? Nobody suggests the orcs are there to steal Azeroth’s jobs or exploit its benefits system, thankfully, though they are intent on overrunning their adoptive country and sucking the souls out of all its living creatures.
    Fucking social justice warriors...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    More review threads? Can't we give it a couple of weeks so that atleast almost everyone has seen and review it?
    Kappa

/10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Fucking social justice warriors...
    They're doing movie reviews now?

Deleted
    Movie sucks, only retards could say different after watching trailers. Looks cheap, horrible acting, bland story. There is NOTHING good about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    Movie sucks, only retards could say different after watching trailers. Looks cheap, horrible acting, bland story. There is NOTHING good about it.
    There's a lot of good movies with bad trailers. Star Wars had a bad trailer. So did Ghostbusters.

Actually watch the movie and then comment on whether it's objectively good or bad.