Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Now that this movie is over can we please move these xmen movies into new territory and stop rehashing the Professor X/Magneto Bromance. We get it. Move on to new characters and new stories with a new dynamic. You have 2 trilogies with the same characters having the same verbal spat. Its no wonder characters like psylock, havok and others get no depth and we are supposed to care about these guys when they bite the bucket. DoFP im looking at you. Didnt give 2 shits about all those Xmen dieing, and most of them died twice.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    IMDB rating already below both Days of Future Past and First Class and its just come out ...

Not good since ratings always fall from a high on release of any mainstream movie.
    it's actually good, Apocalypse was a interesting villain and I kind of hope they make a orgin story about him and put him in future movies.

At the very least Apocalypse was a more interesting villain than every other bad guy we got, maybe on a equal footing as Magneto during the first X-men movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Now that this movie is over can we please move these xmen movies into new territory and stop rehashing the Professor X/Magneto Bromance. We get it.
    Agree with that.
    First class = Magneto is bad, but he's nice too.
    DoFP = Magneto is bad, but he's nice too.
    Apocalypse = Magneto is...you get it.

It gets boring.

Dont worry they hinted at mr sinister in the post credits stinger.

Now theres a bad guy with potential!

I watched it at the weekend, (in UK here),

Overall Impressions: It was 'ok' but really only ok. I'm a big fan of the X-men, but this didn't really do them justice.

First up. Apocalypse was a pretty 'weak' (in terms of writing). A uber powerful dude with all the powers under the sun who wants to 'destroy the world' so the strong can survive.

Jennifer Lawrence is good in somethings, but not in this. She looked utterly bored, and used her powers about twice (once when resucing Nightcrawler) and once when pretending to be Psylocke (who was underwritten to the point of meaningless). She was also held up as this 'inspiration/warrior' figure, but never once looked like she was or could be.

The Prof X/Magento stuff has been done to death now, it's a good thing, but there was nothing new in this, and I really,really hope this is the end of it.

The new mutants introduced were ok, but when Cyclops of all people is the most interesting character, you know you've gone wrong somewhere. Did we even see Jubliee use her powers at all?

The Quicksilver action scene was the best in the movie, but it was a variation on the one the film before.

As for the action, it all in all was pretty poor compared with the dymanic action of Marvel fightscenes. Magento's destruction of cities has been seen 100 times before in similar ways and you never got the sense it was actually happening. It looked about 10 years out of date.

I did enjoy it, but there were certainly a lot of thing about the series starting to wear on me now

Deleted
    Sorry but this movie felt for me like a let down - the only part I liked was Quicksilver

10+ Year Old Account
    I just saw this yesterday. Felt like a huge step back to me.

First Class and Days of Future Past were really enjoyable, because I felt like they did things pretty different to the mainstream superhero romps and had some depth to it. But this one just felt like the bog-standard old X-Men films from pre-First Class. There's a villain, he's powerful, he has henchmen, a bunch of new X-men get together, discover their powers, form a team, and go battle him. In the end, the good guys win.

Seen it so many times by now and all the city-destroying CGI devastation in the world won't make it interesting. We've seen bridges and skyscrapers fall over so many times now it's just not really much of a spectacle. I found it hard to care when they started breaking up the world. It never means much.

Deleted
    There's a villain, he's powerful, he has henchmen, a bunch of new X-men get together, discover their powers, form a team, and go battle him. In the end, the good guys win.
    I really wonder what you guys were expecting. This is nearly every superhero movie in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Agree with that.
    First class = Magneto is bad, but he's nice too.
    DoFP = Magneto is bad, but he's nice too.
    Apocalypse = Magneto is...you get it.

It gets boring.
    You mean a character has more than 1 dimension? *GASP*

But seriously, if you've read the comics, it's not like Bryan Singer is just making this shit up.

X-men needs a time out. Needs to go to the naughty corner for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post

But seriously, if you've read the comics, it's not like Bryan Singer is just making this shit up.
    That's not what I meant, the problem is that the focus of all three movies are "Magneto is bad, but he's nice too". WE GET IT, everybody gets it since the first one, now they need to move on and develop other characters because in Apocalypse it was really bad in this department.

Except for the fact that this character's dimensions have already been beaten into the ground for 5 fucking movies. He's not being any more developed, instead, they're rehashing his SAME FUCKING DIMENSIONS at the expense of basically every other character.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Except for the fact that this character's dimensions have already been beaten into the ground for 5 fucking movies. He's not being any more developed, instead, they're rehashing his SAME FUCKING DIMENSIONS at the expense of basically every other character.
    Every character? They should have just taken X men out of the title and put Mystique for the reboot.

So then I was just imagining the scene where Magneto saves the life of a human and the humans who witness it (his coworkers) report him to the police, which then leads to a confrontation where his wife and child die? Because that scene is something we've never seen before. We watched Magneto try to be good and then lose his way. I don't think I've seen that before in another X men movie. It's usually reverse, he's doing bad shit and then stopped by the Xmen.

I mean, this movie is obviously setting us up for the post apocalypse X men (the ones from the Animated 90s show) because the end shows most of those characters together, which is not something we've seen before. Also, do people think the white haired chick is Jubilee? Because that's Storm. All we're really missing is Gambit, Wolverine, and of course, Jubilee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    I doubt a lot of people would resemble an animated god-like entity.

Wolverine on the other hand still looks human.
    Eh, it's more the voice. I want that deep baritone. I could think of a few actors who could've done a much better Apoc. (I mean, I'm not saying this one is going to do a piss poor job, I haven't seen it yet obviously. I just think they should've gone with someone else.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    I really wonder what you guys were expecting. This is nearly every superhero movie in a nutshell.
    We've seen the exact plot with the exact same shit with just slightly different X-Men in EVERY film

Civil War wasn't like this. The Dark Knight films weren't like this. Fuck, Days of Future Past wasn't like this.

"Every superhero film in a nutshell" is nonsense. There is plenty room for creativity.

So then I was just imagining the scene where Magneto saves the life of a human and the humans who witness it (his coworkers) report him to the police, which then leads to a confrontation where his wife and child die? Because that scene is something we've never seen before. We watched Magneto try to be good and then lose his way. I don't think I've seen that before in another X men movie. It's usually reverse, he's doing bad shit and then stopped by the Xmen.

I mean, this movie is obviously setting us up for the post apocalypse X men (the ones from the Animated 90s show) because the end shows most of those characters together, which is not something we've seen before. Also, do people think the white haired chick is Jubilee? Because that's Storm. All we're really missing is Gambit, Wolverine, and of course, Jubilee.
    Jubilee was the Asian girl that had maybe 2 lines in the whole movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Eh, it's more the voice. I want that deep baritone. I could think of a few actors who could've done a much better Apoc. (I mean, I'm not saying this one is going to do a piss poor job, I haven't seen it yet obviously. I just think they should've gone with someone else.)
    My issue with Apocalypse's voice was that the voice modulation was just all over the place. Like yeah, they used it more when he was getting pissed and such, but it just seemed.. off
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    wow that movie sucked bad, slow, boring, uninteresting, cliched, covering old ground, nothing new at all....boring.

No, you weren't imagining it. You just think it has some relevance that it does not have. Because you see, despite being a scene we've never seen before, the scene itself...adds literally NOTHING to the characterization of Magneto, other than what we've already seen in every goddamn movie. It shows us he's not a guy that's pure evil, it shows us he's not Carnage, he's not Darkseid, he's not The Joker, he, for all his flaws, has SOME decency. This same point has been driven home in basically every X-Men movie to date. Seriously, people who don't know a goddamn thing about the comics by now can tell you that Magneto is dedicated to mutants, that he's a villain who believes what he does is for the greater good, that for all his villainous behavior he still has a good side and good qualities, it's really not news to people anymore, even the least "comic-aware" viewer out there. So, sorry, but giving us ANOTHER scene showing that same point is not in any way new characterization, and it really adds nothing to the film other than taking away time that could be used to give some more characterization or depth to characters who haven't already been pounded into viewers skulls in 5 prior movies.

No, you weren't imagining it. You just think it has some relevance that it does not have. Because you see, despite being a scene we've never seen before, the scene itself...adds literally NOTHING to the characterization of Magneto, other than what we've already seen in every goddamn movie. It shows us he's not a guy that's pure evil, it shows us he's not Carnage, he's not Darkseid, he's not The Joker, he, for all his flaws, has SOME decency. This same point has been driven home in basically every X-Men movie to date. Seriously, people who don't know a goddamn thing about the comics by now can tell you that Magneto is dedicated to mutants, that he's a villain who believes what he does is for the greater good, that for all his villainous behavior he still has a good side and good qualities, it's really not news to people anymore, even the least "comic-aware" viewer out there. So, sorry, but giving us ANOTHER scene showing that same point is not in any way new characterization, and it really adds nothing to the film other than taking away time that could be used to give some more characterization or depth to characters who haven't already been pounded into viewers skulls in 5 prior movies.
    Yeah, because giving us the message that redemption is always possible, is irrelevant!