Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    I love how you seem to think these jobs have unlimited positions and can consume the millions of people who will be displaced by automation.
    I love how negative you are and act like there won't be anymore jobs because the robots took all of them. I mean this is as bad as the mexicans took all our jobs argument.

Deleted
    I think i need to pay a lot of attention to the CEO of a company that profits from prison labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    Replacing three workers to hire a mechanic isn't a deal even with the pay raise.. people are weirdly viewing machines as some mythical force. They are going to need assistance and maintenance constantly. There is a reason they trying to make it such a scare factor they are playing with a bad hand and they know it.
    And as we saw with your limited knowledge of how often these machines actually need maintenance, your whole point is out the window. If a machine actually did what you say, and that they cost tens of thousands of dollars to do what a person can, but need to be repaired/worked on by a $30 an hour professional every 3 days, there wouldn't be a company out there that would use them.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    I love how negative you are and act like there won't be anymore jobs because the robots took all of them. I mean this is as bad as the mexicans took all our jobs argument.
    Never said there won't be anymore jobs. I even said there would be plenty of jobs. But there will not be enough. What are these people to do? The current welfare system won't be able to support the influx of unemployed people.

You keep finding ways of dodging the questions.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Oh boohoo their circumstances they can't control. If you can't be in charge of your own life then who else will? Plenty of tradesmen jobs are out there. I mean did we suddenly stop building houses after the crash? I've seen entire neighborhoods being built since then and more. Heard it here folks construction jobs don't exist after the housing crash.
    It is mathematically impossible for those let go in the situation to find equivalent jobs or even jobs period in the current climate and the below living wages is further strangling the job market making it that much harder.

Sorry, but the number of workers currently vastly outnumber of the number of jobs currently open.

And as I stated before, in related news, Foxconn has replaced roughly 60,000 workers with automation and they were making less than $3 an hour.

You are giving advice that does not match the reality of the situation.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    This is going to be an ongoing trend. T
    These non-skilled labor jobs are not going to exist in the future like they do today - and this is a good thing.

I'm glad to see this continue.
    Enjoy the spike in crime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    And as we saw with your limited knowledge of how often these machines actually need maintenance, your whole point is out the window. If a machine actually did what you say, and that they cost tens of thousands of dollars to do what a person can, but need to be repaired/worked on by a $30 an hour professional every 3 days, there wouldn't be a company out there that would use them.
    Kind of my point... I made lot of money on service contracts. it could be possible they have a machine that could do all this without maintenance but I am extremely skeptical of that otherwise they would be using it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Never said there won't be anymore jobs. I even said there would be plenty of jobs. But there will not be enough. What are these people to do? The current welfare system won't be able to support the influx of unemployed people.

You keep finding ways of dodging the questions.
    I'm not dodging any questions. I'm just saying if you think you will lose your job then start looking elsewhere so you don't end up with the other people that didn't adjust. Is that easier to understand?

Don't think it really matters if they get 15$/hr at this point. They will soon all be replaced by automation whether they are making 7.25 or 15/hr$. It is just too bad that our government is not taking any steps to deal with the workers of jobs that will soon be obsolete (and it will be a lot of jobs lost to automation). Just trudging blindly ahead without any sort of plan really isn't a good strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy the spike in crime.
    If the forecasts are to be believed, the shift will be similar to the industrial revolution. If that's the case, corporations shouldn't be afraid of petty crime like theft... They should be afraid of breeding the next Karl Marx... or guillotine...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    It is mathematically impossible for those let go in the situation to find equivalent jobs or even jobs period in the current climate and the below living wages is further strangling the job market making it that much harder.

Sorry, but the number of workers currently vastly outnumber of the number of jobs currently open.

And as I stated before, in related news, Foxconn has replaced roughly 60,000 workers with automation and they were making less than $3 an hour.

You are giving advice that does not match the reality of the situation.
    Breaking news if you lose your job you might not be able to afford your current lifestyle! Adjust before you lose your job. How dense are you people?

I'm not dodging any questions. I'm just saying if you think you will lose your job then start looking elsewhere so you don't end up with the other people that didn't adjust. Is that easier to understand?
    Mathematically impossible to do large scale.

That is a small scale solution to large scale problem that does not scale up.

That is like trying to shove 100 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag, no matter how much you try, that much shit will never fit in something that small.

- - - Updated - - -

Breaking news if you lose your job you might not be able to afford your lifestyle! Adjust before you lose your job. How dense are you people?
    See my last post.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Mathematically impossible to do large scale.

That is a small scale solution to large scale problem that does not scale up.

That is like trying to shove 100 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag, no matter how much you try, that much shit will never fit in something that small.

- - - Updated - - -

See my last post.
    But, but.. Unlimited job availability!

Though if we did compress the 100 lbs of shit into dark matter, that bag may work.

But, but.. Unlimited job availability!

Though if we did compress the 100 lbs of shit into dark matter, that bag may work.
    Nope the mexicans I mean robots will take all the jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    Replacing three workers to hire a mechanic isn't a deal even with the pay raise.. people are weirdly viewing machines as some mythical force. They are going to need assistance and maintenance constantly. There is a reason they trying to make it such a scare factor they are playing with a bad hand and they know it.
    You're not hiring "one mechanic" to replace three workers. You'd be hiring a couple of mechanics to (essentially) replace hundreds of workers in a given area. Again, you wouldn't have a "tech guy" in every store; they'd have centralized departments that cover whole areas, probably whole counties. Maybe even multiple counties depending on how big your state is.

And that's assuming they actually hire new tech people. They could just as easily use the same tech people they have now and just train them on how to fix/maintain the new hardware.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

10+ Year Old Account
    Kill your unskilled labor force kill your economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Don't think it really matters if they get 15$/hr at this point. They will soon all be replaced by automation whether they are making 7.25 or 15/hr$. It is just too bad that our government is not taking any steps to deal with the workers of jobs that will soon be obsolete (and it will be a lot of jobs lost to automation). Just trudging blindly ahead without any sort of plan really isn't a good strategy.
    That's not really true. Both republican's and democrats have suggestions to fix the issue, including both Hillary and Trump. Obama has suggested 2 year colleges be paid for by the state or federal government. Bernie I believe suggested 4 years and Hillary jumps around what education should be paid for, but the general idea is similar between democrats. Republicans, such as Trump, Cruz and similar with others, have instead focused on lowering taxes on business and making places like China more susceptible to US manufacturing.

The issue isn't that they don't have plans, but that their solutions are fundamentally counter to each other. This creates a bottle neck, where there is little common ground to be had. Then you add the rhetoric of each and even the discussion of pros and cons is hard to achieve. As one side screams communist, while the other screams corporations...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    You're not hiring "one mechanic" to replace three workers. You'd be hiring a couple of mechanics to (essentially) replace hundreds of workers in a given area. Again, you wouldn't have a "tech guy" in every store; they'd have centralized departments that cover whole areas, probably whole counties. Maybe even multiple counties depending on how big your state is.

And that's assuming they actually hire new tech people. They could just as easily use the same tech people they have now and just train them on how to fix/maintain the new hardware.
    People do not get how complex machines like this are....

With how many settings and programming you would have to do just so the damn thing doesn't crush a bun one mechanic per store is likely low balling it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    And what's the solution? Should we not implement the tech we invent for fear of societal shifts?
    No, but we have to be smart about it and not blindly scream about communism over potential solution.
    Putin khuliyo

Ummmm... Math?

For a full-time 40-hour week (assume no breaks/unpaid days) at 52 weeks per year comes out to $31,200 a year.

This is, of course, assuming full time and not part-time. Insurance probably adds that up a bit more, but considering the employee pays for half or more...