Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    “I don’t think parents reading their children bedtime stories should constantly have in their minds the way that they are unfairly disadvantaging other people’s children, but I think they should have that thought occasionally,” he said.
    For what purpose? Why does he think good parents that take extra steps to engage with their children should occasionally feel bad? Should they do other things to balance it out, like occasionally hit their kid for no reason?

Should I feel bad sometimes when I sit down and build legos with my nieces or help them with their school reading assignments?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I think the point the professor was making went over your head. It's simply not possible for every parent to invest time to reading to their children because of socioeconomic factors including cultural reasons.
    I think the final sentence of my statement was missed by you is really what happened, since I flat out stated they should focus on helping those parents instead of putting down the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Great logic! Really!
    But why stop with taking their parents from the kids to even the playing field?
    Using that logic we should just kill them, to make sure none get any "unfair advantage".
    Not far enough. They need to manipulate all of our genetics and make us the same individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    I'm going to work hard to give my children all the unfair advantages they can get. It is my duty to use all my knowledge, connections and clout to give them the best competitive advantage possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the point the professor was making went over your head. It's simply not possible for every parent to invest time to reading to their children because of socioeconomic factors including cultural reasons.
    Sucks to be them I guess. I'm giving my kids an advantage, not making others disadvantaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I think the final sentence of my statement was missed by you is really what happened, since I flat out stated they should focus on helping those parents instead of putting down the rest.
    Ok I will admit that I stopped reading beyond the first sentence before I had to share my opinion. I apologise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Sucks to be them I guess. I'm giving my kids an advantage, not making others disadvantaged.
    But that's exactly what you're doing. The professors just said that you should think about disadvantaged children not that you shouldn't be able to afford them to the advantage.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think a big part of parenting should be to do everything you can to give your kid an advantage in life.

I'd consider anyone intentionally disadvantaging their kid to feed some social justice moral high ground awful parents.

So is reading not a part of

“parenting a child makes for what we call a distinctive and special contribution to the flourishing and well-being of adults.”
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    Fuck. I'm a heterosexual white male born to a middle-class family in a first world welfare country, and my mom occasionally read me bedtime stories when I was a kid.

I feel like I would trigger like 17% of the world's population just by being in their proximity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I will admit that I stopped reading beyond the first sentence before I had to share my opinion. I apologise.

- - - Updated - - -

But that's exactly what you're doing. The professors just said that you should think about disadvantaged children not that you shouldn't be able to afford them to the advantage.
    What am I supposed to think about them? "That sucks, sorry?" Some people have it better than others, more news at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    All children should be abandoned in the woods so they have equal chances in life. That's what the Professor gets to eventually, right?
    RL Hunger Games. Only difference is it starts from birth!

Okay I've heard crazy conservatives saying there's an "attack on the family", but I never took it seriously. Wow.

They're not unfairly disadvantaging others by fairly advantaging their own children. That's just stupid. Everyone has access to books. Just because your parents are too stupid to know how to read doesn't mean there's some horrible societal bias going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Equality, bringing society down to the lowest common denominator...

Shouldn't the parents not reading to their children be the ones to feel guilty? Considering they're choosing to put their child behind.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2016-05-25 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think these parents should be forced to go read to the children they're doing a disservice to, maybe then they'll learn the error of their ways.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Muis View Post
    I'll read my kids an extra story tonight, just to make sure I'm a better parent then others !
    You're a monster...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Check your privilege!

Who are you to say neglectful parents are bad? Its about being dragged into the mud together not rising up. Haven't you seen social justice before?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Equality, bringing society down to the lowest common denominator...
    To be fair, that would create equality. It wouldn't be any good and essentially be a huge negative, but it would be equal

I guess some people find that an acceptable price, let's hope they only get to have their stories told on some website, and not wield actual power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I can understand the notion of thinking "hey, it's a really nice thing that I'm able to read to my child, and not all children are so lucky to have a loving parent" while engaging in bedtime storytelling - not too far from the idea of being thankful of what you have, and what you can give, in a modern and enlightened society. But then the guy starts going on about "abolishing the family" and similar fruitcake insanity and I've got to start to wonder if they've been spending far too long under the glare of florescent lighting. I don't think the problem of equality can be solved by such reductive reasoning - it's something that can only exist in purely logical or mathematical terms, but not something I would call a workable "human solution" to the problem.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    Check your privilege!

Who are you to say neglectful parents are bad? Its about being dragged into the mud together not rising up. Haven't you seen social justice before?
    You check your privilege!

Who are you to call those parents neglectful?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

There was an OP on here a year ago or so on this and the funny part of it was the high post count super libs were all on it posting about how parents should not read to their kids because somewhere there was a parent NOT reading to his/her kid creating gaps in the education system and basing it on socioeconomic shortfalls and other stupid shit.