Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why are AMD drivers literally the worst thing ever?

Edit: Solved. Yay!

I really don't understand how every time there is a driver update and I go ahead and let it install everything it wants (except for that stupid Gaming APP) it seems to simply uninstall the current driver and do nothing.

NOTHING!

Every single time I've installed this new Crimson driver for my 390 X it's the same sad story of the driver uninstalling and then not reinstalling. Every fucking time. It's getting really old. I don't want to have to go through an uninstall-reinstall ordeal for an hour just to get my fucking video card drivers working; Not even updated but back to the previously stable version! It sucks! This never happened pre-Crimson!

Is it Windows 10? Is it AMD? Is it my 390 X? Is it some other unforeseen fuckery? What? WHAT?!

I am so done with this AMD driver bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Right-click desktop, nothing. Open the shortcut, "that shortcut no longer exists." Like, come on. How hard is it to install the drivers you JUST downloaded? Why is their installer a steaming pile of shit?
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2016-05-25 at 10:07 PM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    I really don't understand how every time there is a driver update and I go ahead and let it install everything it wants (except for that stupid Gaming APP) it seems to simply uninstall the current driver and do nothing.

NOTHING!

Every single time I've installed this new Crimson driver for my 390 X it's the same sad story of the driver uninstalling and then not reinstalling. Every fucking time. It's getting really old. I don't want to have to go through an uninstall-reinstall ordeal for an hour just to get my fucking video card drivers working; Not even updated but back to the previously stable version! It sucks! This never happened pre-Crimson!

Is it Windows 10? Is it AMD? Is it my 390 X? Is it some other unforeseen fuckery? What? WHAT?!

I am so done with this AMD driver bullshit.
    I have Win 10 and a 390x. I have had zero problems updating drivers. It's usually all done whenever I check to see if I'm up to date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Works fine for me...

It is most likely your personal issue due to whatever reason it might be.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's not the driver's fault, then clearly I am an idiot and cannot install driver software properly. So, someone, anyone, please help me decide which driver I need to download.

I was previously running the Hotfix driver without issue. Turn on my PC and boom, update for AMD drivers. Okay, go ahead and install, without the Gaming APP of course. Install went fine, restart PC, and nothing is installed. No Crimson software. It's just gone.

W H Y T H O
    [/url]

15+ Year Old Account
    This has nothing to do with AMD's installer, this has something to do with your driver registry being damaged or your download itself being damaged.

So what exactly do you want AMD to do about this? This same stuff happens with nVidia and whilst we love to burn either for their fallacies neither of them is to blame for this.
    So you're getting quite angry towards the wrong thing and are assuming it's their fault whilst asking if it's something else and then blame again.

You can try going through the usual Start -> CMD (Run as admin) -> sfc /scannow etc.
    But with these issues most of the time a complete reinstall is the only thing that works.

Alternatively you can also try to remove all driver traces of AMD using Display Driver Uninstaller in Windows' safe mode and see if that made a difference.
    But I highly doubt you will notice anything from this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I downloaded the Hotfix and chose Uninstall the time, maybe it simply can't handle 2 or 3 updates in a row, maybe it can't live without a clean slate every time. Pathetic!

Here we go, boys and girls.
    [/url]

7+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried running a program to completely wipe any remnants from past installs? You could potentially be experiencing an issue where something old is preventing the new from being installed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    Have you tried running a program to completely wipe any remnants from past installs? You could potentially be experiencing an issue where something old is preventing the new from being installed.
    There's one that Guru 3D has, right? Checking now.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't even remember when was the last time that I manually downloaded a AMD driver and the one my computer is currently using is the latest one.

It updates by itself without bothering me at all... I think you've got a problem on your end.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh

The joys of PC gaming.

Tell you what.

Download DDU

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

To remove all AMD related files.

Download

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...indows+10+-+64

See how it goes.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    There's one that Guru 3D has, right? Checking now.
    Guru 3D has one, and AMD has a Cleanup utility on their website that might be worth a shot.

It could be a different issue, but it's worth a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ran Guru 3D's uninstall tool and I'm typing this to all of you in glorious mirrored 1024x768.

There's no AMD folder in my Program Files anymore, but there IS one in my C drive:

I'm going to download that AMD cleanup tool and hope that it takes care of those. Whatever they are.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Just delete it yourself, most likely not something that will break your system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ran their tool. The folder in my C drive is gone!

It printed out a log witha BUNCH of entries, ~20-30, that were all successful uninstalls, it seems. Rebooting, then installing the Hotfix driver again.
    [/url]

15+ Year Old Account
    The AMD folder on the root of your C Drive is nothing more than the unpacked versions of the driver you downloaded.

Safe to delete after installing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The AMD folder on the root of your C Drive is nothing more than the unpacked versions of the driver you downloaded.

Safe to delete after installing.
    Good to know, thank you!

You'd think the installer would clean up after itself...

- - - Updated - - -

O shit here we go.

- - - Updated - - -

HERE COMES THE MOMENT OF FUCKIN' TRUTH BOYS BRB

- - - Updated - - -

! ! ! ! ! G R E A T S U C C E S S ! ! ! ! !

Thanks for listening to me vent guys. Now I know I have to do a super-duper fresh reinstall any time there's an update or else I'm fucked.

Could've been worse!
    [/url]

15+ Year Old Account
    Again this is random ... and it's MS' fault... AMD cannot do anything about this.

But yes a clean install in general is "the best" thing to do.

Deleted
    Using a old driver to not have wow crashes... Have they fixed that? r9 380

10+ Year Old Account

Yaaaaaaaaas.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Just leave the driver by itself and Windows will update it for you.