Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    whoa calm down Adolf

OT:good that there is a fine to this more european countries need to adobt this fine system,looks like a good way to weed out the extremists and Islamists to a certain degree.
    this fine system is absured. there children swiss or not. just because its toting a flag against arab culture doesnt mean its reasonable to fine a family because of a prepubesents decision

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    The boys were disrespectful to female teachers. Not, it's not acceptable and they will respect them or eventually leave switzerland. as the article stated, the asylum request is reviewed and the citizenship process halted. Seems harsh if switzerland kicked the whole family out over their behavior, but switzerland ist not germany and not very tolerant of misbehaving muslims.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Omg they didn't shake my hand, the DISRESPECT....stop being dramatic. I lost alot of respect for Switzerland.
    If they don't want to shake hands with anyone, fine. If they don't want to shake hands with women specifically? Not fine, at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Fines are probably the best way to get parents involved in the disciplinary process. Giving kids days off from school for misbehavior is dumb.

Don't want to get fined? Don't let your kid be a disrespectful little shit.
    No an institue cannot put you an economic sanction for not following their rules, they can kick you and schools punish you within an acceptable frame, which excludes economic sanctions. Of course the teacher can sue you for emotional harm, but that its pretty pathetic.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    Yes, I agree they should adapt to the laws, and respect traditions, but they should not be forced to follow them.
    Out of switzerland then, simple solution. what sense ist it to demand respect but it is of no consequences if not followed ?

No an institue cannot put you an economic sanction for not following their rules, they can kick you and schools punish you within an acceptable frame, which excludes economic sanctions. Of course the teacher can sue you for emotional harm, but that its pretty pathetic.
    Um, that's apparently not the case in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Omg they didn't shake my hand, the DISRESPECT....stop being dramatic. I lost alot of respect for Switzerland.
    You're missing the point. Refusing a handshake by itself is disrespectful, but refusing a handshake because of someone's race, ethnicity or gender is downright disgusting.
    Also their piece of shit father is an extremist Imam who sent one of his daughters back to Syria because she was to Western.
    This dipshit tried to turn this into a culture war, he was very vocal about his sons not being allowed to shake a woman's hand. I'm glad it blew up in his face.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    So let's make the list:
    Not shaking hands isn't allowed.
    Having your own opinion and wishes is not allowed.
    What more should we introduce in the fourth reich?
    Simple: You are not entitled to your very own opinion regarding females. equal rights trump freedom of religion any second.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It's not here atleast. You might have to specify location
    That's the point. Its not a law, because forcing traditions upon other people its not okay.

Deleted
    That's the point. Its not a law, because forcing traditions upon other people its not okay.
    It certainly is okay to do that when they want to live in your country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    But that was the point, you acted in a respectable and non offensive way, which is more or less required everywhere. If you hadn't, the welcoming attitude would have changed, as it does elsewhere.
    yes......

And I dont get the point. The kids did not shake hands, thats not a problem. An awful lot of people dont. And if you go further and try to do that kissing thing, I'm likley to "accidentally" nut you.

So let's make the list:
    So what you're saying is that you're ok with these boys...who come from a culture where it's LEGAL to beat women, and stone them for daring to be the victim of a crime...to continue to perpetuate their belief that women are just above objects in a western country?

No one is telling them that they can't worship Allah, or that the women can't wear hijabs, etc, etc.

They're just being told that the more barbaric beliefs of the countries that they're fleeing from are not allowed. You'd be ok with seeing them stone a women in the streets?
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

So let's make the list:
    And you can stay in your country, where it is ok to not only not shake hands with women, but also not let them out on the street without a male.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    yes......

And I dont get the point. The kids did not shake hands, thats not a problem. An awful lot of people dont. And if you go further and try to do that kissing thing, I'm likley to "accidentally" nut you.
    No, they specifically didn't shake hands with female teachers because they were female. They shook hands with the male teachers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    It certainly is okay to do that when they want to live in your country.
    No, it isn't. We have german communities here and they follow their own customs and traditions. They don't even celebrate our national day, but they respect us when we celebrate it and they don't break the law, so its fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    Someone might consider public shows of affection to be part of their identity.
    Imagine a person from Berlin, trying to make something gay-parade'ish in UAE.
    And the parade is quite a custom in modern Germany won't you say?

So the fact that it was not a problem for you to respect their customs and not do anything to cause problems for you (problems that might be actually more than just a fine) doesn't mean that it is not possible.
    There are certain customs that will be enforced in those countries. And I don't find it a problem. If I go to UAE - I respect their customs, if I go to India - I respect their customs, when people come to my country - I expect them to respect our customs.

Those people chose to come to Switzerland. And they also have to respect the customs of Switzerland. It is as easy as that.
    ok, none of those are comparable.

Also, its not a universal cultural thing to shake hands.

If they want to impose sharia law thats an issue, and its rightly resisted and not allowed. So whats the issue?

Seems its a case of lets have a go at muslims over trivial issues because we all want to be racist right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    ok, none of those are comparable.

Also, its not a universal cultural thing to shake hands.

If they want to impose sharia law thats an issue, and its rightly resisted and not allowed. So whats the issue?

Seems its a case of lets have a go at muslims over trivial issues because we all want to be racist right now.....
    Muslim isn't a race and the students were being sexist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    No, they specifically didn't shake hands with female teachers because they were female. They shook hands with the male teachers.
    yes its sexist, you deal with that. You dont go lets have a go at all muslims.....which is pretty much this thread.

Its not like sexism is muslim thing, its pretty endemic everywhere, including the western world. So get off your high horse.

Deleted
    No, it isn't.
    Yes, it is. When in rome...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Shaking hands before and after each lesson? That is interesting, we definitely don't do that here in the US.
    I can't remember ever shaking the hand of my teachers either.

We'd stand up, say "good morning" and sat down again. After that the lesson continued.

Even when meeting a teacher in a hallway, I don't think I've ever been offered a handshake.

@ topic: great decision. 100% agreed.

The boys told Swiss media (in German) that "nobody could make them" shake hands with a woman, and that they "could not just delete their culture as if it were a hard drive".
    This is what integration is about. You can keep parts of your culture that are compatible with your new host countries culture (e.g.: Music, Food etc), but the rest has to go and your values have to change.
    You HAVE to adapt. They would expect the same if anyone of us were to live in their country.