Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

UK to Ban Hot Women from Advertisements

The U.K.’s Advertising United Standards Authority is considering regulations to respond to complaints of “sexism” in advertising — including concerns that women in a lot of ads are basically too attractive.

According to a release published by the watchdog on Thursday, ads that present “an idealised or unrealistic body image . . . have gained considerable public interest,” and so it’s important to evaluate whether or not more needs to be done to stop them. (The phrase “unrealistic body” refers to bodies like that of the woman featured in a Protein World ad last year that caused that huge controversy in the U.K. over her attractiveness. In other words: It refers to people who are really hot.)

“The project will report on whether we’re getting it right on gender stereotyping in ads,” the release continues. “If the evidence suggests a change in regulation is merited we will set out the best way to achieve it.” Now, the ASA is still in the research phase on this question, so what exactly those kinds of regulations might look like remains undetermined. (I mean, would there be some sort of governmental body that would have to say, “Okay, that lady is non-hot enough to appear in an ad,” before it’s allowed to be published?)

But the Chief Executive of the ASA, Guy Parker, said that the group is “serious” about it. “We’re serious about making sure we’re alive to changing attitudes and behaviours,” he said, according to the release. “That’s why we’ve already been taking action to ban ads that we believe reinforce gender stereotypes and that are likely to cause serious and widespread offence, or harm.”

Sources:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ealistic-women
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/lif...y-advertising/
    Last edited by mmoc338fdc3aa9; 2016-05-25 at 11:45 PM.

Guess nothing will change then as British women aren't attractive in the slightest.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Guess nothing will change then as British women aren't attractive in the slightest.
    There are no British made toothbrush adverts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when do advertisements reflect reality? They're meant to reflect fantasy. "Sexy people buy this, buy it and you'll be sexy too!"
    Putin khuliyo

Can't recall very many British women that were attractive to begin with, so seems like they'll just use local talent for advertising from now on. No big deal.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Can't recall very many British women that were attractive to begin with, so seems like they'll just use local talent for advertising from now on. No big deal.
    oh and all Americans are too fat to be beach body ready, eyyyy lets stereotype countries!

15+ Year Old Account
    But.. Everyone likes hot women.

Seriously though, I can understand the rationale behind limiting image editing in ads, but the wording here implies they would crack down on ads featuring real people if they're deemed too hot, because that level of attractiveness is "unrealistic".

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    oh and all Americans are too fat to be beach body ready, eyyyy lets stereotype countries!
    Not all just most, so yeah that's fine to say that.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post

Seriously though, I can understand the rationale behind limiting image editing in ads, but the wording here implies they would crack down on ads featuring real people if they're deemed too hot, because that level of attractiveness is "unrealistic".
    yup i guess if you can prove the image has not been photoshopped, i can't see how it can be banned, what can they say? this persons genetics are too unrealistic and a gym membership is for the social elite!

Weren't hot women already banned in their ads?

Deleted

The ASA statement says nothing about image editing. I don't know where you got that from.
    It simply refers to advertising trends that propagate gender stereotypes.

I'm sure it could form a part of the argument. But it is not their argument.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why are feminists so authoritarian? Apparently they think their opinion should be enforced regulation.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-25 at 11:56 PM.

Deleted
    You've taken what they have said out of context.

But it is a bit thought police.

I think banning size 0 models would be a good thing, fashioning malnutrution is pretty grim.

They said 'We will be doing three things: examining evidence on gender stereotyping inads, seeking views from a range of stakeholders and commissioning our own research into public opinion'.

I think they are more concerned with the heavy use of photoshop when talking about unrealistic body images.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    You've taken what they have said out of context.
    I haven't done that at all.

I simply copy-pasted an article.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    The ASA statement says nothing about image editing. I don't know where you got that from.
    It simply refers to advertising trends that propagate gender stereotypes.

I'm sure it could form a part of the argument. But it is not their argument.
    I brought it up because it's something that's gaining ground as a way to combat unrealistic body ideals in ads. Similar intent, but different (and more reasonable, imo) approach.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    I haven't done anything.

I simply copy-pasted an article.
    My bad that first article is just trash.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is the UK really serous about this? If they are, gheeze...

So unrealistic body images for women, but not men?

This battles sexism?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I brought it up because it's something that's gaining ground as a way to combat unrealistic body ideals in ads. Similar intent, but different (and more reasonable, imo) approach.
    So they are in essence, trying to tell people how they should think and feel about body shapes?

Ban the hot women, all sizes are beautiful! Hot men will not be affected by this ban.