Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Gender equality is reflective of that.
    Not shaking hands to woman is sexist?

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Its a gesture... It does not have to make sense, it just have to have an effekt. When you meet new people, you often have to greet them in some way, to start a healthy relationship. Shaking hands is the commend greetings of most western countries.
    I say hello, nobody needs to be within a foot of the other. Does all the work and no need for that irksome sensation.. but then I find hugging and the cheek kissing very irksome too so it's not just handshaking. Though I think hello should more than suffice, or similar verbal salutation is more than enough to denote the level of "respect" a greeting should have. But then maybe if people didn't seem to be made out of sandpaper I'd be more into the physical stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    That doesn't suggest respect to me.
    Come to think of it, I don't think handshakes are about respect at all. After all, respect could be easily demonstrated by using formal language and bowing, instead of more common greeting expressions and not bowing.

Not quite sure why we shake hands at all, I think it's simply used as a general greeting and partially as an "ice breaker" like Flurry with the funny hat suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    Not shaking hands to woman is sexist?
    Yes. Showing disrespect for women because they're women is sexist.

That doesn't suggest respect to me, more one person isn't about to stab the other and vice versa so a sign of non hostility/aggression. Or that both forgot they'd have a free hand for a weapon, now I want to see that happen in some old time movie just the pair face palming that it would've been the perfect chance to launch a surprise attack.
    Different things have different meanings in different cultures. Clearly handshaking is a big sign of respect for the Swiss.

Sounds gross. Who wants to touch someones germed up hands.

Why is this such a big deal? xD

Please guys stop using your US bullshit when talking about Switzerland, it's really dumb.

Stop trying to promote your islamophobic agenda down everyone's throat when anything happens.

You're all acting like all muslims in Switzerland are extremists, when it's absolutely not true at all.

smh

Homophobia is so gay.

They have to shake their teacher's hand? THE HORROR!!!

If they don't want to adapt to the culture of the nation they are living in, then go to a nation with a more accommodating culture. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    Awesome! Big kudos to Switzerland. Now don't allow building mosques in Europe and we will have safe future.

[Infracted]
    As an observation completely irrelevant to the post I just quoted, I am going to take a blind shot in the dark and say that a particular forum poster of the Ending variety (but not mentioning any names) is probably triggered by the country of Switzerland's decision regarding this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Please guys stop using your US bullshit when talking about Switzerland, it's really dumb.

Stop trying to promote your islamophobic agenda down everyone's throat when anything happens.

You're all acting like all muslims in Switzerland are extremists, when it's absolutely not true at all.

smh
    Of course its not true. Not all Muslims are extremists by a wide margin. But all Muslims that seek to enforce that which is taught in the Quran are.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2016-05-26 at 12:32 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    You do realize that most of us question the sense of the swiss law trying to force people to shake hands, yes?

While I do agree with the general sentiment of "adapting to your host culture", I am in the boat of "do we really need these kind of rules?".

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You do realize that most of us question the sense of the swiss law trying to force people to shake hands, yes?

While I do agree with the general sentiment of "adapting to your host culture", I am in the boat of "do we really need these kind of rules?".
    When its not a rule that we really care about because we don't live under it, its easy to question why it exists. Ultimately all laws are arbitrary and are only needed in order to accomplish a certain end, and so whether or not the law is necessary is completely reliant on whether or not your opinion deems said end as necessary.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

7+ Year Old Account
    I say hello, nobody needs to be within a foot of the other. Does all the work and no need for that irksome sensation.. but then I find hugging and the cheek kissing very irksome too so it's not just handshaking. Though I think hello should more than suffice, or similar verbal salutation is more than enough to denote the level of "respect" a greeting should have. But then maybe if people didn't seem to be made out of sandpaper I'd be more into the physical stuff.
    Human beings often react more positive to contact. Getting a hug, shaking a hand or maybe just touching a shoulder or back, is often enough to make a person feel more safe in a foreign evironment. Getting into contact helps us people make closer bonds with each other, and kind of kickstarts positive reactions in our brains. You might be a divergent when it comes to this, but the majority of people i meet in my everyday life, and on my job as a waiter, really loves getting touched when greeted or talked to.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

I was not talking about you, I agree that this rule is dumb and I doubt it will stay here long. Because that's a retarded rule.

Homophobia is so gay.

Every college campus should prohibit those Muslim Student Associations and prayer rooms. Colleges should not have a place for any religious practices.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Showing disrespect for women because they're women is sexist.

Different things have different meanings in different cultures. Clearly handshaking is a big sign of respect for the Swiss.
    I can show respect in other ways

Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    I can show respect in other ways
    And? Refusing to shake female teacher's hands is disrespectful and sexist. Doesn't matter if you show respect in other ways, you already disrespected them.

Legally compelling people to shake hands is kind of weird.

Apparently touching the flesh of women who aren't kin in Islamic culture is taboo, a grave disrespect in the culture the boys grew up in should they break it and shake the hand. This works both ways as you said different things have different meanings to different cultures. That's assuming the boys are genuine when it comes to that specific teaching, I'm not sure.. never had much contact with the islamic faith.
    I find the first thing that should've been done was ascertain the validity of the boys' claims, after all if they're false you can reprimand them right there and then in both cultures for debasing their religion to justify an apparently sexist act. If found to be true, I'd find a compromise if physical contact is truly a taboo. Fostering better understanding between cultures aids in easing tensions when cultures find themselves sharing space, obviously within sensible limits.. not about to roll back the clock to pre-suffrage to accommodate them nor make mutilations part of the justice system. But little things like gestures, headgear, diet, prayer.. they're not places to butt heads over considering how easy it would be to learn the truth and accept a reasonable alternative for them to show their respect in a more taboo abiding manner.. they must have some form of respectful greeting for women as even if they were as bad to women as the worst claims suggest there would still be women in a higher station than them so they'd have to have some way to pay respect.. you know like princesses and queens commanded respect even back in the dark ages when they were basically existing to be traded (married off) to secure an alliance.
    But then this is just my non handshaking view of the whole thing.

Apparently touching the flesh of women who aren't kin in Islamic culture is taboo, a disrespect to the culture the boys grew up in should they break it and shake the hand. This works both ways as you said different things have different meanings to different cultures.
    Which is too bad for them because they're in Switzerland, not Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Legally compelling people to shake hands is kind of weird.
    A religion that prohibits shaking hands is kind of weird too.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't allow religious discussion here, which is what much of this thread is doing.