Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    Overall, most of the critics have given bad review, not even one critic said it was Okay. That's some troubling news.
    By most reviews are you referring to RT and MC? No.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/ IMDB, 8.4/10 out of 3.5k reviews
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...verwhelmingly/ - Collection of reviewers from Germany overwhelmingly positive.
    Cake!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    I haven't seen the film ofc, but... he's right about the game? They've always balanced serious grimdarkness with offbeat humor
    Yes, but from what he says I get the impression he sees the game as half-joke, half-pop refference. Something like the Uldum Indiana Jones side. Which is something many of us hated.

Quote Originally Posted by zupf View Post
    no, he just expected some charm, like for example how lotr did it, and the warcraft movie completely lacks that.
    Ah, I see, thanks for explaining.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    The movie isn't even out yet. 5 people getting a "pre screen" doesn't indicate a bad movie
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    The movie isn't even out yet. 5 people getting a "pre screen" doesn't indicate a bad movie
    There are actually a lot of positive reviews in the countries where the movie is already out. (and also quite a few that basically say "fuck this shit")
    I would rank it 6/10. It did not really blow me away.

The interesting question to me is how many new viewers will be tempted to try the game. If it's not a runaway hit, perhaps not many.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Wouldn't call it a flop just yet - only 5 reviews in, with a 3/2 split. I'll reserve final judgment for when more critical reviews in, and ideally when non-critic reviews start to roll in.
    Regardless of reviews, I wouldn't call it a flop when it's only been released in like two countries or something...

such pessimism here haha.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    The movie is character-driven every step of the way. That’s why, even if the world created by Jones and his talented design collaborators, both old-school physical and cutting-edge digital, isn’t seamlessly believable so much as staggeringly crafted, it casts a spell.
    Uh, a world created by who? These reviews are hilarious. Don't take them seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted this elsewhere

"say 5 million people play wow, and 5 million fans went to see it. I'd rather base my opinion however biased it may be off of fans who enjoyed it. The warcraft/wow player base is pretty gargantuan. A critic who is a non fan may say negative things, a fan my say positive things."

It hasn't flopped. Let the fans have their fair say when its released.

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    I posted this elsewhere

"say 5 million people play wow, and 5 million fans went to see it. I'd rather base my opinion however biased it may be off of fans who enjoyed it. The warcraft/wow player base is pretty gargantuan. A critic who is a non fan may say negative things, a fan my say positive things."

It hasn't flopped. Let the fans have their fair say when its released.
    Why base your opinion on ANYTHING but yours, when you see the trailer, etc? Not specifically singling you out, but I just don't see the logic in people caring what random person Y said about the movie. You have eyes, no? You have a brain, no? You CAN think on your own, right? So, watch the trailer and decide if you want to watch it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seiren View Post
    Uh, a world created by who? These reviews are hilarious. Don't take them seriously.
    Personally, the part that gets me is that at least this review has the same outlook I have on it...

The movie is character-driven every step of the way. That’s why, even if the world created by Jones and his talented design collaborators, both old-school physical and cutting-edge digital, isn’t seamlessly believable so much as staggeringly crafted, it casts a spell.
    Sure, the CGI is amazing, motion-capture, nothing short of spectacular. The integration of physical and digital are terrible though. Looking at the latest trailer, when they are walking on horses through (presumably) Stormwind, utterly fake looking. Yet the CGI screen right before that part, amazing. I'd say on par with SyFy, honestly. It looks so fake when they are both stitched together on screen.

Just to prove my point:

All physical:

Physical + Digital:

Like I said earlier, I'll still totally download it because... Wacraft, but for a 2016 big-budget film, that is nothing short of terrible.
    Last edited by alturic; 2016-05-26 at 01:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Why base your opinion on ANYTHING but yours, when you see the trailer, etc? Not specifically singling you out, but I just don't see the logic in people caring what random person Y said about the movie. You have eyes, no? You have a brain, no? You CAN think on your own, right? So, watch the trailer and decide if you want to watch it.
    Oh I'll have my own opinion certainly, I did a degree in film studies and a degree in television and film production, plus freelance and positions I have held in the industry, My opinion doesn't mean anything to others, but I'll care more about what a fan thinks over a critic.

Deleted
    Its not a flop. Its just another bad game movie. A bad movie with terribad CGI all over the place.

It will show over the next days if it is also a flop.

If you want to see the movie, I suggest seeing it soon after release, in case it does bomb. Once it leaves the participating theaters you won't be able to get the free sub code (if you want to use that or give it to a friend.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Drahkais View Post
    Spoiler alert. I don't care for Metacritic either. Might as well ask me why I shit on an amalgamation of opinionated people on the internet.
    But you're shitting on the sites themselves when all they're doing is presenting reviews from critics and fans in a combined way. You should say you hate reviewers or something not those sites.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Some bad reviews on opening weekend = flop?

Right? In that case Star Wars A New Hope, Psycho, The Godfather, Gladiator, Shining and many more are all flops then as all those got negative reviews on their opening weekend. Not comparing Warcraft to them just the example. ?
    You're gonna toss around movies like The Godfather, Psycho, and Gladiator (granted they got bad reviews) in comparison to Warcraft?

I genuinely did not know that people care about movie critics that much. Personally, I could not care less, because historically, they are always, and I mean 100% of the time, either exaggerate or being pseudo-intellectual and failing horribly. I don't get the concept of 'I don't know if I want to see the movie. Ok, this critic (who might have vastly different taste in movie than me) said it was shit, don't want to see it'. I have to see something for myself before I form an opinion.

By looking at the reactions, the movie is doing quite well, the only ones trashing it are the movie critics (whatever that really means), and I personally think that some of these people (really 1/10, hmm, ok) are either not ready for movies like these, not in to fantasy, or are just trashing it because 'video game movies fucking suck'. We have a lot of that on this forum too, sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferozan View Post
    It won't be great, but it will pay itself, that's all that matters.
    That would be Activision's company motto.

I think it's safe to say, the movie would be better if there were vanilla servers. /s

People are making Apples to Oranges comparisons. 1) Will it be successful, i.e. turn a profit? 2) Will it be an objectively good movie? 3) Will it be a good movie for Warcraft players? My guess would be 1) borderline 2) No 3) Yes

I do think it will take a long time to break even monetarily but there are a lot of ways to monetize it other than what it makes on initial release.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, the part that gets me is that at least this review has the same outlook I have on it...

Sure, the CGI is amazing, motion-capture, nothing short of spectacular. The integration of physical and digital are terrible though. Looking at the latest trailer, when they are walking on horses through (presumably) Stormwind, utterly fake looking. Yet the CGI screen right before that part, amazing. I'd say on par with SyFy, honestly. It looks so fake when they are both stitched together on screen.

Just to prove my point:

All physical:

Physical + Digital:

Like I said earlier, I'll still totally download it because... Wacraft, but for a 2016 big-budget film, that is nothing short of terrible.
    I mean, the consensus so far is that the visuals are nothing short of amazing. I see what you are trying to say, but embedding low res pictures is not really proving your point. And even now, they don't SyFy bad.