Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Maybe this is more of a wake up call to stop breeding than it is about losing Jobs.

We need to cut this Worlds population by a good 50% over the next 25 years.
    Where did you come up with this fantastical number? Pulled from some random orifice in your body?

Slowing reducing population is fine. Massive drops in population would cause total global economic collapse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    what's the difference between this and people losing jobs to horses? or people losing jobs to tractors? or people losing jobs to the internet?

nothing
    Meh, stupid people are blind to innovation and humanity evolving into higher tech levels all the time faster then ever.
    90% population used to be farmers... i don't see problem when they lost jobs.
    Automatization made people lose jobs in assembly lines.
    Robotics and informatics will cause people to lose even more boring and dangerous jobs that only cause health hazard.

Imagine robotic miners, robotic drill operators.
    That means more people can be in research sector or service sector. Until we replace service sector with humanoid robots and researchers with sentient AI.
    Heck i for once welcome our new robotic overlords.

I wonder if this won't help the little guy. A lot of time you think it would be nice to get into some business or another but you can't because hiring an employee is too expensive and complicated. If you could by a robot for $5000 and have him do the labor, you could start your business.

This may mean the end of big business even.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I wonder if this won't help the little guy. A lot of time you think it would be nice to get into some business or another but you can't because hiring an employee is too expensive and complicated. If you could by a robot for $5000 and have him do the labor, you could start your business.

This may mean the end of big business even.
    5k doesn't get you much of a robot, at least if it is supposed to do more than pick up one item at a perfectly defined place and put it to another. The initial investment is fairly high for robots, something small businesses will keep struggling for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    5k doesn't get you much of a robot, at least if it is supposed to do more than pick up one item at a perfectly defined place and put it to another. The initial investment is fairly high for robots, something small businesses will keep struggling for the foreseeable future.
    You're thinking today. I can see a big price drop in the future as robot building factories become more automated.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Just food for thought. When we are replaced by robots for work how the hell are we expected to earn a living?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Man, look at it's evil glowing green eyes staring knowingly at you.
    It's learning. Absorbing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Just food for thought. When we are replaced by robots for work how the hell are we expected to earn a living?
    Once robots have replaced the majority of the workforce either:
    1. Money will become irrelevant and the world will enter a post-economic utopia.
    2. The robot riots will begin, bringing the end of civilization as we know it.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    It's learning. Absorbing.

- - - Updated - - -

Once robots have replaced the majority of the workforce either:
    1. Money will become irrelevant and the world will enter a post-economic utopia.
    2. The robot riots will begin, bringing the end of civilization as we know it.
    Claptraps Robot Revolution? :O

This is borderline click bait.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's always gonna have to be workers to supervise and maintain the robots, right? Robot's can't fix themselves.... yet.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

goddamn plug sucking robots! DEDERK ERR JERRBBBBB
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Yea, but who many robot repair men did they hire.. cause that's like what 10 new jobs they created too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    I cannot see this being in any way good for society in the long term.

Other people like to imagine that other jobs will open up for those who are left without work. Afterall, throughout industrial history, as factory jobs have been replaced by automation and outsourcing, those displaced workers eventually found jobs in other fields. But if 35% of all jobs are replaced in the next 20 years, how the hell are those people going to find other jobs? Especially since the majority of the jobs that are lost will be low-skill jobs. It won't happen. And if it does happen, it won't be a fast or pretty transition.

I mean, there's a possibility this will all work out for the better and the transition won't be a painful one. History tells us that's not going to be the case. But I suppose one can dream.
    America and a few other countries with limited manufacturing per capita are actually pretty good case studies of what happens. While we of course aren't quite there yet, when the means of production are entirely automated, what's left is service.

Essentially the entire human economy will be a service economy, built around interpersonal interaction. Everyone will be an entertainer, a sales rep, a creative, a masseuse, a chef, etc. While the robots mine resources, build products/structures, and make a small few very very very rich; the rest of us will be busy entertaining or being entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post

I think people who dissmis this are up for a rude awakening. This will probably be one of the largest issue our generation will have to face.
    Video was reality-based for the first 2 minutes where he's talking about machines with narrow applications, but then when Baxter comes out and he starts talking about autonomous robots that only cost the electricity that powers them... he's off the deep end.

That's fantasy land. What about when Baxter breaks down? What about when he costs a company a million dollars because he went down at the wrong time? What about fixing him? What about the people it takes to maintain him?

Yeah. Still not worried. Baxter has taken exactly 0 jobs up to this point. He's a novelty and nothing more. We'll be waiting for decades for that to change, and capitalism isn't getting us there faster.

A narrow-application "robot" like self-driving cars is really the next step, not robots that can "somehow magically do everything for free." I'm guessing you haven't done a lot of looking at how software works in commercial application. It sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    what's the difference between this and people losing jobs to horses? or people losing jobs to tractors? or people losing jobs to the internet?
    The amount lost...especially when there's no infrastructure in place to re-train people and allow a few years off to study while it going broke supporting your family.

Farmers just focused on other farm-duties that required little-to-no training. Can't do that in America as that would be called a "starter job not meant to have a family with"

But then again, this is China - so they probably got picked up by some other slave-house.

So it begins.

Soon...Bender the bending robot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Alternative Thread Title: Assembly line slaves with the highest suicide rates in the country replaced by pick and place assembly machinery.
    You mean with lower suicide rates than most Western countries?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You mean with lower suicide rates than most Western countries?
    Much lower now that they installed factory suicide nets. As long as they kill themselves at home instead of at work.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Factory+Suicide+Nets

Good.
    The more we automate, the more obvious it becomes that Capitalism is an unnecessary obstacle holding the majority of the population back to line the pockets of a much tinier group, the better.