Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Sigh, I wish you would learn what words mean before you use them incorrectly. Evaporation, by definition, only happens to liquids. Now, there are some materials that appear solid in their liquid form, and materials that appear liquid in their solid form. Thermal Paste is one of those solids that appear to be a liquid. Thermal paste does not evaporate, ever. Under any circumstances.

Otherwise it wouldn't be a good thing to use for heat conductivity.

Please stop spreading misinformation about this kind of stuff, you can easily fool someone into thinking your incorrect info is correct, and then they go tell someone else. The OP got his answer, let's not confuse him any more, k?

Thanks.
    So you're saying thermal paste is a solid matter that appears liquid?
    Cool beans you've discovered not only a further compressible liquid but also a new non-newtonian liquid!

Your name shall forever be known throughout the annals of time for this discovery!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Thermal grease consists of tiny ac polymerizable liquid matrix and large volume fractions of electrically insulating, but thermally conductive filler.
    It is a liquid comprised of several materials and whilst that filler material may be anything from silicone to metal.
    Naturally some of that filler will not evaporate but the main "build-up" of the grease itself will due to the fact it's a synthetic liquid.

The fact that Thermal Paste actually shrinks and hardens over time when exposed to oxygen is a clear indication that it is indeed a liquid.
    It is evaporating parts of the actual grease over time and leaves the materials (like metal) that do not evaporate.

You want to test this theory? Just leave an identical amount of thermal paste out in your room.
    1 package being closed and 1 package open to oxygen, if your hypothesis is correct neither one diminish at all.

If mine is correct however than the one open to oxygen will deteriorate and solidify because certain elements in the paste have evaporated.

This process will occur faster the paste stuck underneath a heatsink as no oxygen is present to accelerate the effect.
    (or at least I hope you don't as your thermal impedance will skyrocket)

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy
    So you're saying thermal paste is a solid matter that appears liquid?
    Yup, and your Wiki link confirms it. 70-80% filler by weight? Yeah, Thermal grease is a fucking solid. But keep going with this, you're helping the guy with his GTX 460.

Yup, and your Wiki link confirms it. 70-80% filler by weight? Yeah, Thermal grease is a fucking solid. But keep going with this, you're helping the guy with his GTX 460.
    It's pretty simple really. It dries out right? That means the liquid part of it is gone. Where did that liquid that made up the other 20-30% go? It evaporated, that's where.

ladies, please

you're both pretty

you'll both get dates the prom

break it up

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It's pretty simple really. It dries out right? That means the liquid part of it is gone. Where did that liquid that made up the other 20-30% go? It evaporated, that's where.
    Incorrect. If that were the case, thermal paste would not be used for what it's used for. It does not evaporate. Chemical compounds can change viscosity over time, especially in high heat usage case. That's like saying the oil in your car evaporates. It does not. It changes over time, but it does not evaporate.

Stop being dense and let this thread die already.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your reply is really all that there is needed for showing exactly what you are knowledgeable in.

Even though it states it's a liquid itself you are maintaining it's a solid, well done!
    I'll see your name in the news as soon as you've unveiled this miracle to the world defying everything and further expanded the human race's knowledge regarding alchemy.. pretty soon you shall be able to create homunculi by clapping your hands together and re-arrange all atoms at your will.

Also unlike you I actually HAVE helped the user with his issue.

Have fun with the rest of your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Your reply is really all that there is needed for showing exactly what you are knowledgeable in.

Even though it states it's a liquid itself you are maintaining it's a solid, well done!
    I'll see your name in the news as soon as you've unveiled this miracle to the world defying everything and further expanded the human race's knowledge regarding alchemy.. pretty soon you shall be able to create homunculi by clapping your hands together and re-arrange all atoms at your will.

Also unlike you I actually HAVE helped the user with his issue.

Have fun with the rest of your day.
    This thread was over 2 pages ago, with my original response. Why did you even bother posting? All you've said so far is that thermal paste evaporates because you think it's similar to water, even though the wiki article clearly explains that it isn't anything like water and that it isn't even really a liquid. It's a solid with the appearance of a liquid (hint: that's what 'tiny ac polymerizable liquid matrix and large volume fractions of electrically insulating, but thermally conductive filler' actually means) that performs the task of sitting on a hot plate 24/7 conducting heat.

If anything you've said were remotely true, thermal paste would last all of about an hour before becoming ineffective. By definition, Thermal paste cannot evaporate. It could not do it's job.

But keep insisting otherwise. It's funny to see you fail so hard at the cost of derailing this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread was indeed over after my very first post which was the first reply on the thread correctly answering the issue then and there.
    You suggested baking it thus not ending the thread right there, 4 posts later so let me ask you the question you asked me: "Why did you even bother posting?".

But regardless ... if you want to continue down this path then how about you follow my experiment for 3 months.
    By your statement (removing it from direct sunlight and held at room temperature) the open paste will not alter at all.
    By my statement the open paste will become less in volume, harder and as you said it "brittle".

Because you and I have very clearly different definitions of a liquid and chemical processes of which your definition is basically a very important bit in the science world no-one seemingly has spotted but you.

So lemme ask you a question that is simple to answer:
    Mercury is a metal yet it is in a free flowing form but falls under your category as a "Solid that has the appearance of liquid".
    So why is it called a liquid instead of a solid? (Hint: This is actually even used in Coollaboratory's "Liquid Metal" thermal "paste".)

Wow...

So much effort just to be right about something like that, lol.

Eroginous can you just say that he is right please?
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior