Deleted

Does anyone know what this is? Need help.

Hi. So a friend of mine had this necklace that she lost and it had a great sentimental value to her. Years of searching didn't bring anything so I'll ask you.

It seems to be an icelandic Rune stave but i can't find an identical symbol no matter how long I try. Does anyone have any info about it that could help me find it? http://imgur.com/gLDdab9

Last edited by mmoc87911d0539; 2016-05-26 at 12:18 PM.

Many jewellery stores can custom make things. Show them a photo or drawing and discuss details like material with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a reincarnation stave if I understand my staves. As I'm sure you know, scholars have only best guesses at the meaning of most staves. However, this one appears to be a custom stave, not a traditional magic stave used in combat or security. It is a symmetrical cartwheel, implying a deeper meaning than straight runes. Now the interesting thing here is that instead of possessing 4 of one rune and 4 of another on the wheel, it possesses 6 of one and 2 of another. Unfortunately that greatly increases the challenge in translation.

Anyway, the circular runes have been debated, but most people can agree on one of two definitions:
    1)"Returns energy back to its source" (energy flow theory)
    2)"A Person close to me" (humanity theory)

The bar tends to mean:
    1)"Keeps energy concentrated and undiffused"
    2)"People stay close to me"

Now the energy flow theory would suggest that the rune intends to return the energy back to its source while retaining its purity. Since there are more circular modifiers than bar modifiers, I would further venture to say that it was more important to return the energy than ensure its purity. A wheel stave of 8 circular modifiers were occasionally placed on the graves of the deceased (mainly the poor class who couldn't afford elaborate runes). A wheel stave of 8 bars were sometimes placed on food, to ensure the food gave as much energy as possible.

Combining these seem a little strange until you consider that the person creating the rune wanted to simultaneously return energy to its source while ensuring purity and concentration. I.e. it wanted the energy to be returned to the earth while the body was still potent (around the age of 50-60 in today's time) so that it could come back as something else.

If you want the humanity theory, the rune suggests a large group of friends with a small subset of very close friends. I.e. someone who knows everyone in town, but really only care for 4-5 of them.

It could also be a combination of the both. While in life ensure plentiful, yet good, friends; when death approaches, make it quick and soon so I can return and live another life through.

Or it could just be pretty, which made all my typing useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks @Celista !!