Thread: Skinny Shaming

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Small? 5'10" is the average for men in the US, and 130lbs is a healthy weight for a male that tall.
    No, I'm 5'9.5" and proper weight is actually 155 I think. Anyway I used to have the same problem. I couldn't gain weight past 120. My trick to gain weight was get married, have two kids, and eat out.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Privileges to being slim? xD What?
    Lets hear some disadvantages then. We'll wait patiently while you struggle to come up with one.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Lets hear some disadvantages then. We'll wait patiently while you struggle to come up with one.
    Struggle? The person that said slim brings privileges literally only said "Changes how people view you" which can STILL be applied to skinny, slim, small, tiny, etc people.

But if we're to be more broad in the advantage/disadvantage laundry list of things:

- Being small/slim/skinny typically brings with it a lack of strength, making some ordinary tasks around the house or on the job much harder than a bulkier/fatter person would find it
    - Being small/slim/skinny often finds you being ignored, bumped into more, or crowded in on because you're simply smaller in some way than the rest of your peers, so not like you needed that space
    - Being small/slim/skinny can result in some rather intimidating and one-sided encounters with people bigger/taller/fatter than you

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Slim doesn't mean cover of Maxim hot or studly athletic, it literally just means slim. With varying sizes of bodies comes varying pros and cons with day to day life. Big people have little issue pushing their way through a crowd as people don't like being in their way (pro) but can be the subject of a LOT of dirty looks when occupying a small elevator or being forced to sit next to them in public transportation (con). Slim/narrow/scrawny/etc people aren't any different, just different in how they specifically have their body size impact their day to day living.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    No, I'm 5'9.5" and proper weight is actually 155 I think. Anyway I used to have the same problem. I couldn't gain weight past 120. My trick to gain weight was get married, have two kids, and eat out.
    An office job is what eventually did it for me. In high school and earlier, walking/riding a bike to/from school every day always kept me super skinny. And that's not counting PE, walking around/hanging around with my buddies, taking part in activities like stage shows, etc. In college, I had to park off campus and walk a mile to campus before wandering over campus to get to my classes. Then after class I'd go to work where I'd be standing/walking my whole shift.

After that, I was working in jungles and swamps, walking miles every day in South America and Africa. It's only when I got on office job that I started putting on weight rapidly. Took me a while to figure out how to change my habits to get it under control, but I was lucky never to blow up into an obese person.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I don't know if there are any disadvantages to it? I don't see there being any privilege to that either.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can be TOO skinny. and if you are, i'd expect some ridicule.
    Hi

"You should eat something"
    "Wow you're looking really thin"
    "Do you ever eat?"

Being "too thin" comes with a stigma, especially for men. Weight training helps though (for both genders).

Small? 5'10" is the average for men in the US, and 130lbs is a healthy weight for a male that tall.
    No it's not, it's underweight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    I don't know if there are any disadvantages to it? I don't see there being any privilege to that either.
    Never feeling self conscious when it's time to strip down to your swimsuit. Carrying around significantly less weight, with the corresponding reduced stress on your organs and knees. People being more likely to have positive initial reactions to you rather than negative.

I don't think this necessarily falls into the realm of "privilege," though, which is usually to do with something innate that you're born with. Almost anyone can become skinny if they take the right steps. People can't so easily decide they want to be white or come from an upper class background.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol 130 pounds. Seriously, sometimes I wonder how some of you can even be considered part of the male gender with a woman weight like that.

OP just put on more weight. Getting to 170 is a good start. At least your not some manlet that's like 5'5 lol. You can still look like a man if you actually put on weight.

Being slim is for woman. You don't want to look like a woman. It's good that people are giving you shit for your pathetic weight. Hopefully, it motivates you to fix your weight problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    "You should eat something"
    "Wow you're looking really thin"
    "Do you ever eat?"

Being "too thin" comes with a stigma, especially for men. Weight training helps though (for both genders).
    I was "too thin" in High School. As "stigmas" go, it was pretty lolworthy. Mostly it was "You're so thin! Enjoy it while you can!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Never feeling self conscious when it's time to strip down to your swimsuit. Carrying around significantly less weight, with the corresponding reduced stress on your organs and knees. People being more likely to have positive initial reactions to you rather than negative.

I don't think this necessarily falls into the realm of "privilege," though, which is usually to do with something innate that you're born with. Almost anyone can become skinny if they take the right steps. People can't so easily decide they want to be white or come from an upper class background.
    I am not fat but I feel self conscious whenever I am in public at the beach like that and I am in swim wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I was "too thin" in High School. As "stigmas" go, it was pretty lolworthy. Mostly it was "You're so thin! Enjoy it while you can!"
    Well I'm not saying it's worse than fat shaming, just that it exists.

When someone really is too thin, though (dramatically and noticeably underweight), it is quite shocking to look at. I'm not sure what sort of commentary those individuals get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Well I'm not saying it's worse than fat shaming, just that it exists.

When someone really is too thin, though (dramatically and noticeably underweight), it is quite shocking to look at. I'm not sure what sort of commentary those individuals get.
    The scariest thin I ever got was in college, when I put myself on a $2 per meal diet to try to save money. I got really skeletal and sunken cheeked, apparently. The only people who said anything to me about it were my mother and my sister.

To hear them tell it, I was looking like this:

My mother immediately bought me a huge load of groceries.

Well, my family members and others did comment my on it several times when I was younger. "Mosquito weight" "skinnie" (different meaning from plain skinny in my language) etc was thrown around every now and then. They proabably didn't mean anything mean with it but it did certainly affect me. So skinny shaming sure is a thing that isn't minded - it really shouldn't be if it is unhealthy.

The weird thing is that I ate more than the average person during my childhood - I got an additional bowl of everything in kindergarden for example. I'm suspecting that I'm brittle boned and that's why I'm so light. The skeleton is supposed to make about 10% of your weight and I've broken more bones than I can count on my hands.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ill take a slim girl over a big girl any day. Don't worry, I got enough love for all of you.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I like how people base weight on a spreadsheet. Should just look at the person's physique.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    you can be TOO skinny. and if you are, i'd expect some ridicule.
    Honestly, I think it varies and also depends on your gender. I can imagine that as a man you get more ridicule for being "too thin" than as a girl because of stereotypes and expectations.
    As a girl, chances are that people will call you anorexic, but that's probably mostly about it.

A few years ago I was so underweight that I was put into a hospital for more than a month (BMI around 12), but I never experienced ridicule.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2016-05-26 at 10:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post pictures of skinny women on groups of "normal" women and of course you get reponses like that.
    I get spammed by "wannabee" models who want me to like their page, join them and comment/like. That's pathetic.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

What... no, ideal weight is 150-180lbs for that height o.O.