Quote Originally Posted by Solobang View Post
    Definitely not.

700mil+ and we may get a sequel.
    Where on earth did you pull this from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I think it's a "we know games and our lore, but you know movies" situation, game companies are usually only advisers on movies based on their property. I assume they don't contribute a lot to the budget because they don't wanna get involved too deeply, as they would then also take a bigger cut of the box office, which might make the studio care less about the success or failure of the movie.
    You're probably right, yeah. And Blizzard could always chip in with an extra budget if this movie doesn't earn a lot. But I think it will. There are a lot of Warcraft fans out there. And fantasy people in general who'll watch it.

I mean, take me as an example. I'll watch it once with 2 of my friends who played Warcraft III, in IMAX 3D. Then again with 2 other friends who know next to nothing about Warcraft except its success. The first 2 friends might go watch it with us again if they end up liking it, and one of them probably will. And then I have a 5th friend with whom I'll watch it for what will be my third time. That's, what, 10 tickets? And among all of us, there's only one true Warcraft fan. Me. Now, I'm not a representative example in any way. But, you know, the number of true Warcraft fans (current or ex WoW players) numbers at least something like 15-20 million. If we were to assume that each of these will contribute just one ticket, and assuming an average price of 10 dollars per ticket, that amounts to 150-200 million dollars in box office.

That's a number that doesn't take into account multiple re-watches by current or ex WoW players, nor people who've played Warcraft III but not WoW (and there's plenty of them), nor general fantasy fans (even more of them) nor friends which we'll drag with us who might not belong to any of these groups. At the end of the day, I don't feel overly presumptuous in saying we can actually assume at least 2 tickets per current or ex WoW player, which would bring us into the 300-400 million dollar area, which might start being enough to warrant a sequel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deloctyte View Post
    It's definitely a movie that's worth a watch in the cinema. If you're one of the few people that doesn't feel any difference to your home screen vs the cinema screen, sure, wait it out. Me, I'm actually considering going to the dubbed version of the movie just to see it in IMAX 3D. It's not a bad looking movie, man.
    Do not watch it in 3D. It's not worth it at all, at least in my opinion. It was so hard to focus on the little details or landscapes in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    Do not watch it in 3D. It's not worth it at all, at least in my opinion. It was so hard to focus on the little details or landscapes in 3D.
    I don't think you can get around 3D if you see it in IMAX generally. I could have lived without the 3D as well, but IMAX is more important than not having 3D.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    Do Hans Zimmer soundtracks really give chills?
    Those that I recall sounded kinda generic to me.
    Can you suggest some good ones form his work ?

Just some of the stuff he has worked on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Of course it worked, because it was already a planned trilogy based on the three books. Warcraft wasn't planned like that.
    To some extent, it was. Duncan said he sat down with Metzen and talked about how a trilogy would work. He's got it all planned out.

To some extent, it was. Duncan said he sat down with Metzen and talked about how a trilogy would work. He's got it all planned out.
    Yes, but the point is the LotR trilogy was all filmed at once. Warcraft was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs View Post
    Yes, but the point is the LotR trilogy was all filmed at once. Warcraft was not.
    Very few movies are filmed like that. I don't see the point with that point.

Deleted
    He might have them planned out, but the movie production wasn't planned as a trilogy, like the LotR.

- - - Updated - - -

Very few movies are filmed like that. I don't see the point with that point.
    It was a point that Romano was trying to pass before, that the Fellowship of the Ring left many loose ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    "Avatar has better-looking locations"
    Considering that Avatar basically ripped off locations from WarCraft by having floating islands and such, I would take that as a compliment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thontor View Post
    They didn't cut him out... He just doesn't have any lines afaik
    That was yet another scene that they showed last year that they cut out. He actually said this in a leaked video: "I believe in Gul'dan's. His death magic has made me powerful. You'll see.". Universal and Legendary must have done some heavy cutting to shorten the movie down if that scene is not even included.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post

It was a point that Romano was trying to pass before, that the Fellowship of the Ring left many loose ends.
    This movie has a lot of loose ends as well, it might as well have been planned as a trilogy. Don't think it would have ended too differently even if they had filmed three movies back to back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post

That was yet another scene that they showed last year that they cut out. He actually said this in a leaked video: "I believe in Gul'dan's. His death magic has made me powerful. You'll see.". Universal and Legendary must have done some heavy cutting to shorten the movie down if that scene is not even included.
    While fans would love for those characters to speak, the movie didn't really need any more important characters than it had. It was a solid decision to cut it from the theatrical version.

Deleted

While fans would love for those characters to speak, the movie didn't really need any more important characters than it had. It was a solid decision to cut it from the theatrical version.
    I disagree with that, simply because they are off Draenor so bloody quickly. We don't even get Durotan's shit-eating grin at the fire.

This movie has a lot of loose ends as well, it might as well have been planned as a trilogy. Don't think it would have ended too differently even if they had filmed three movies back to back.
    My point was about the fall of stormwind which didnt happen because DUncan said he wanted it to stand as it own.
    FOr me if he had included it, it would be better.

I disagree with that, simply because they are off Draenor so bloody quickly. We don't even get Durotan's shit-eating grin at the fire.
    Don't know what that refers to. Even if the beginning was to be extended in places, I wouldn't add new characters in the theatrical cut, would be more appropriate to expand on what is already there.

- - - Updated - - -

My point was about the fall of stormwind which didnt happen because DUncan said he wanted it to stand as it own.
    FOr me if he had included it, it would be better.
    I was somewhat sad that it wasn't included, but I can see why. It might be better kept for down the line. Also, nobody but people who know the lore are gonna miss something they don't know about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree completely. The scene is meant to showcase why the Orc clans are following Gul'dan and having Grommash speak a line does not mean that he needs to have an entire arc in the movie. Not to mention that the scene is set on Draenor and a bunch of people have criticised the beginning act of the movie for being too fast paced. Taking out a scene like this would certainly hurt the pacing of the movie in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I disagree completely. The scene is meant to showcase why the Orc clans are following Gul'dan and having Grommash speak a line does not mean that he needs to have an entire arc in the movie. Not to mention that the scene is set on Draenor and a bunch of people have criticised the beginning act of the movie for being too fast paced. Taking out a scene like this would certainly hurt the pacing of the movie in that regard.
    I don't think it was, necessarily. I can't imagine the beginning on Draenor being much longer for a certain reason. A lot of the scenes you might think happen in Draenor from the trailer actually happens in Azeroth. The beginning of the movie jumps around a lot and doesn't give a good feel for the characters right off the bat, but that does not seem like a scene that would do much to improve things. Pretty sure most people get why they follow Gul'dan anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Where on earth did you pull this from?
    Logic
    It has a production budget of $160 million, that means it needs to make at least $320 million to make its money back but even that is unsure because it will probably do better in China and Europe than in the US.
    Then it also has a marketing budget. Typically the marketing budget is 50% of the production budget, although blockbusters tends to have a bigger marketing budget. However, lets assume 50% aka $80 million

That would mean that it would have to make $400 million AT THE VERY LEAST just to MAKE BACK ITS BUDGET.

Now, the problem is that it has gotten bad reviews. If the movie actually is bad like the critics claim (I haven't seen it yet so can't comment) then less people will be prone to see a sequel, which is also a factor a studio has to consider when making a sequel.

All in all, it's very hard to predict if we're actually gonna get a sequel. I sure hope we do though

I was somewhat sad that it wasn't included, but I can see why. It might be better kept for down the line. Also, nobody but people who know the lore are gonna miss something they don't know about.
    It's not becase I wanted all the lore to be included as a fan but because I thought it would be a better experience overall for the reasons I mentioned above :

1)emotional stakes : the entire scene and fall could be brilliant and a heartwrenching moment, seeing some brave soldiers stand behind to ensure survival for the rest, while Lothar and others try to guide and rescue as many as possible.
    2) originality : it offers death,destruction,tragedy and an epic last stand in an epic fantasy movie, getting away from the norm that dictates that the good guys must win at the end. It would be a big setback that would send the message that the orcs are a real threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it was, necessarily. I can't imagine the beginning on Draenor being much longer for a certain reason. A lot of the scenes you might think happen in Draenor from the trailer actually happens in Azeroth.
    The Grommash scene at the campfire was certainly on Draenor. The same with the "Life, Death" speech Gul'dan had in that leaked footage. Both scenes which apparently got cut out.

Deleted
    I don't think it was, necessarily. I can't imagine the beginning on Draenor being much longer for a certain reason. A lot of the scenes you might think happen in Draenor from the trailer actually happens in Azeroth. The beginning of the movie jumps around a lot and doesn't give a good feel for the characters right off the bat, but that does not seem like a scene that would do much to improve things. Pretty sure most people get why they follow Gul'dan anyway.

it was definitely on draenor, it's in the novelization.