Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Peter Thiel Is Said to Bankroll Hulk Hogan’s Suit Against Gawker

Hulk Hogan had a secret financial backer in his legal fight against Gawker Media for invasion of privacy.

Peter Thiel, a billionaire entrepreneur and philanthropist, helped fund the case brought by the wrestler, Terry Gene Bollea, better known as Hulk Hogan, against Gawker, said a person briefed on the arrangement who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

A self-described libertarian, Mr. Thiel has a long history with Gawker, which published an article in 2007 outing him as gay. Mr. Thiel, who is now open about his sexual orientation, once described the Gawker-owned site Valleywag as “the Silicon Valley equivalent of Al Qaeda.”

Questions about the independence of Mr. Bollea, who never mentioned a third-party backer, first emerged when his lawyer removed a claim from his complaint that had the effect of eliminating Gawker’s insurance company from the case. That struck many legal observers as odd, given that most lawyers seeking large payouts want to include claims that are insured against because doing so increases the chances of a settlement.

- http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/25/bu...st-gawker.html
    Damn, this Thiel guy just toss a cheque to Hulk's lawyers, and told them to not worry about being able to claim their fees, he can settle that but he wants them to nail Gawker's balls to the wall.

Payback is a bitch. LOL
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Damn, this Thiel guy just toss a cheque to Hulk's lawyers, and told them to not worry about being able to claim their fees, he can settle that but he wants them to nail Gawker's balls to the wall.

Payback is a bitch. LOL
    Well worth the money i would say.

Honestly seems like an abuse of the system, almost like the court case equivalent of hiring a hitman (but not Bret "The Hitman" Hart to make a wrestling reference xD)

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Oh conspiracy theories, is gawker this desperate?

I bet its crab people who are really behind it.

Gawker's getting desperate.

Enjoy the bed you've made, morally bankrupt assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Honestly seems like an abuse of the system
    Just like Gawker existing is another abuse of the system. Systems cut every which way

The only abuse of the system is for how much they awarded him. I don't fault them at all for dropping parts of the suit so that their insurance wouldn't cover it. These suits are intended to punish. If you're buying insurance for actions you know you're going to take then the settlement isn't really a punishment.

There's also no law that says you can't pay someone else's legal fees because that would be insane.

Rumor is Thiel is gay and Gawker outed him so Thiel backed the suit to get revenge. Don't mess with billionaires is the moral of the story.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Rumor is Thiel is gay and Gawker outed him so Thiel backed the suit to get revenge. Don't mess with billionaires is the moral of the story.
    Rumor? What rumor?
    Peter Thiel, a billionaire entrepreneur and philanthropist, helped fund the case brought by the wrestler, Terry Gene Bollea, better known as Hulk Hogan, against Gawker, said a person briefed on the arrangement who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

A self-described libertarian, Mr. Thiel has a long history with Gawker, which published an article in 2007 outing him as gay. Mr. Thiel, who is now open about his sexual orientation, once described the Gawker-owned site Valleywag as “the Silicon Valley equivalent of Al Qaeda.”
    It literally says so in the article!

Deleted
    Pretty genius move by the lawyers as well to reduce the overall payout by just enough to mean Gawker's insurance wouldn't payout.

That's some Suits level ingenuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    More like don't be a fucking piece of shit news organization that aids and abetts blackmailers in terrorizing gay people is the moral of the story.

And posting people's sex tape in which they were not being aware or consented to being filmed online. 'bu-bu-but its okay he said nigger '
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

To me this sounds very Count of Monte Cristo-ish. Fuck Gawker. It's filth. Next I hope someone fucks the Daily Mail into bankruptcy, followed by Faux News, which would give collective hope to Western civilization.

Gawker is the bottom of the barrel, they deserve everything that they get, and who better to kill them off then the guy who has battled and defeated more villains aka Hulk Hogan?

As much as I really really really really hate Gawker, I can't get behind this.

For some context: http://qz.com/692312/billionaire-pet...to-be-illegal/

This shit used to be illegal, and for good reason.

Deleted
    Saw Gawkers open letter here : http://gawker.com/an-open-letter-to-...iel-1778991227

Painful to read reminds me of :

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As much as I really really really really hate Gawker, I can't get behind this.

For some context: http://qz.com/692312/billionaire-pet...to-be-illegal/

This shit used to be illegal, and for good reason.
    Hulk Hogan has a case against Gawker and cannot afford to pursue it himself. Should he accept Peter Thiels money or let Gawker get away with it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Gawker is a cesspool. Through and through awful people with zero integrity. It's a real shame that you apparently have to be rich to make them follow the law.

Gawker has been abusing the legal system from a position of privilege for awhile now. I'm cool with turnabout. Though a repaired system would be much better.

edit: Also Thiel is a really really weird guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The scary question is, how will this affect all journalists, both Fair and Fox.

I mean, someone with a vendetta, or a shitload of money, Why_not_both.gif, can bankroll cases to bankrupt any news group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Hulk Hogan has a case against Gawker and cannot afford to pursue it himself. Should he accept Peter Thiels money or let Gawker get away with it?
    The issue is that when major financiers can bankroll lawsuits they have part in whatsoever, it leads to all kinds of other problems. It puts media publications at risk from prohibitively expensive lawsuits from wealthy financiers who want them closed down for whatever reason but have no legal challenges to bring against them themselves.

Trust me, the day Gawker closes and all their writers end up begging on Patreon for money (except the Jalopnick guys, they're alright folks), I'll do a happydance. But not when it puts all news companies at risk at the same time.