Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Places like Chicago literally are culture centers of the world though, and for good reason. =|

Since America has no culture of its own (I SAID IT) and really we're just a mish mash of A TON of other cultures.
    America has plenty of culture. Nomad tribes, jungle tribes, tundra tribes all have plenty of culture. Oh, you mean the US when you say America? Hm. I guess.. Decadence and decay? ;p
    In seriousness. US culture (as seen from the outside) is barbecue, ranching, cattle, awful cars, strange sports and corn.
    US culture is a real thing. I am by no means an expert though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    >Fast-food
    >Bad beer
    >Horrible barbecues (why the fuck do you guys serve hamburgers at BBQs?)
    The beer isn't very good, no. At all. But they have some good liquors and wine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I've gotten the impression that America likes to make things either extremely sweet, very salty or fry it.
    I know, right? They even have sugar in bread. Have you had bread from the US? Tastes like spongecake

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I know, right? They even have sugar in bread. Have you had bread from the US? Tastes like spongecake
    I try to eat wheat and get the one that has the least sugar in it....I can't really eat white bread, just taste wrong to me. Ive actually been trying Soylent recently(I got a good deal on it), not too bad.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Reading about bread, I miss my hometown a little now. I think the selection of bread here is kinda awful. In my hometown we had nice selection of wheat breads of various "fine grade", but they all had this lovely crisp crust at the top and bottom, with nice and squishy sides. They were excellent. Very distinct flavors and stuff.

Here, most of the bread are too... spongy, imo, or is just a rock. No crispy with squishy, just either permanently and completely squishy, or extremely hard and stuffed with seeds and shit. They wind up being exceptionally bland.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I've gotten the impression that America likes to make things either extremely sweet, very salty or fry it.

Though then again, I got the impression that Denmark also makes stuff like Coca Cola super-sweet, even by Norwegian Coca Cola standard. Like holy hell, it was actually legit sickeningly sweet when I tried it in Denmark. Anyway, point is it might not be a very accurate impression.
    Depends on where you get your food and who makes it.

I wish it was easier to go out and get genuine food with little to no salt added that still tastes good.

I don't know, maybe if I shell out a few hundred dollars at Vie, I'll get something actually incredible.

- - - Updated - - -

What amazes me is how obsessed with shit like coca cola you guys are. Yuck. And I'm the bad one. I literally drink black coffee, water, and craft beer.

For all the beer hate, I think that's also founded on the fact likely none of you have had a real, genuine American beer. Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc, are not beer. They are industrial garbage.

Some examples of actual beer:

I will bet money none of you have had any of these, MAYBE the 90 Minute, but frankly, American beer is usually lumped into the category I spoke of above - not actual gems like these. These beers are wonderful, deep, decadent, and Rumpkin, the last one I linked, has moved to my favorite beer of all time spot. Why you ask? It's a high ABV (so stronger flavors, naturally) pumpkin and spices ale aged in rum barrels. Believe me, it's one of the most luxurious tasting beers I've ever had. It's absolutely, incredibly wonderful.

I could link over 500 more beers I'd suggest, but most of you like coca cola... soooooooo... I'm probably talking to a brick wall right now.

Also, this may have been a bait post that I gave into, but eh, I don't care. If I can talk about craft beer, I will, it makes me very happy.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Talking to a brick reminds me of the 1080 thread

10+ Year Old Account
    I lol'd.

Here's what I will say...

I believe in these beers enough, I would share them with all of you. Whether or not you liked them, I'd still be happy that you were able to try them. And I am sure you'd at least gain a new understanding for beer.

Too many people focus on lagers and pilsners, and frankly, those are okay, but they never really shine like ales.

Note:

Beer can be separated into two categories:

Lagers (which is literally just that and pilsners, pretty much) and ales (which denotes IPAs, stouts, scotch ales, almost all Belgian styles, and many many many more...)

The ale realm literally almost always has ridiculous more amounts of flavors and aromas than lagers.

By the way, Guinness sucks and so does Samuel Adams.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could technically go into detail that bread = sugar. >.>
    They're both carbs. :3

That said, you're not going to get any decent bread from the market here, at least not the usual markets.

Alcohol is sugar.

Anyway. I only drink water these days, rarely beer. If I would drink beer it would be Porter. I use some alcohol in cooking though. Beer batter for frying et c. Sherry. Stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Porters are wonderful. <3
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I try to eat wheat and get the one that has the least sugar in it....I can't really eat white bread, just taste wrong to me.
    Wheat bread is good stuff.

Also, yes, America loves its sugar and salt way, way too much.

What amazes me is how obsessed with shit like coca cola you guys are. Yuck. And I'm the bad one. I literally drink black coffee, water, and craft beer.
    Yep, I find pop in general really nasty. I used to drink a lot of it when I was a kid, but these days I have no desire to drink it all. My normal beverages are water, coffee, craft beer, and orange juice.

I will bet money none of you have had any of these, MAYBE the 90 Minute, but frankly, American beer is usually lumped into the category I spoke of above - not actual gems like these. These beers are wonderful, deep, decadent, and Rumpkin, the last one I linked, has moved to my favorite beer of all time spot. Why you ask? It's a high ABV (so stronger flavors, naturally) pumpkin and spices ale aged in rum barrels. Believe me, it's one of the most luxurious tasting beers I've ever had. It's absolutely, incredibly wonderful.
    While I favor porters & stouts, the Rumpkin sounds really good.

-----

My Surface has developed a really obnoxious quirk. For no reason I can discern, one of the System Host: Local processes decides it wants to chew up 25-30% of my CPU while I'm doing nothing strenuous (just surfing the web). While it's not slowing me down - it's causing a lot of wasted energy (CPU is ramping up in speed, it's getting on, spinning up the fan, etc). It settles down after a bit, but it's still annoying. Grrr...

(Aside: When I thought "developed a quirk," I couldn't help but think of it in terms of Darkest Dungeon when an adventurer gets stressed out. "Surface Pro 3 has developed... Runaway System Processes!")

10+ Year Old Account
    Alcohol is sugar.

Anyway. I only drink water these days, rarely beer. If I would drink beer it would be Porter. I use some alcohol in cooking though. Beer batter for frying et c. Sherry. Stuff.
    Alcohol, ethanol at least, hope you aren't drinking any other type, is not carb. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Alcohol, ethanol at least, hope you aren't drinking any other type, is not carb. :P
    Alcohol is metabolised to sugar

Carb doesn't equal sugar.
    Starch isn't sugar, it's just a carbohydrate. So saying bread is sugar is like saying a human is a chihuahua
    Yes, sugar is a type of carbohydrate.
    Wheras alcohol is actually much closer to actually being sugar.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Carb doesn't equal sugar.
    Starch isn't sugar, it's just a carbohydrate. So saying bread is sugar is like saying a human is a chihuahua
    Yes, sugar is a type of carbohydrate.
    Wheras alcohol is actually much closer to actually being sugar.
    Starch is a polysaccharide, essentially a strand of monosaccharide. Glucose aka sugar, is a monosaccharide that we know of. I was more or less joking about it, but starch is in the end result actually becoming sugar when we digest it, alcohol does not become sugar at any point. Saccharides and alcohol have a completely different chemical composure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Alcohol is metabolised to sugar
    It actually doesn't. It was a common misconception that while yes, the end result of what is produced is the same, producing energy for us to use or getting us fat, the entire process of either are different and never at any point becomes a saccharide. When we digest carbohydrates of any kind they get essentially cut down to monosaccharides before being processed. Starch is a polysaccharide that when it goes through gets broken down into monosaccharides, aka sugar.
    Alcohol goes through an entirely different method. We require special enzymes to use alcohol in any meaningful way.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate_metabolism
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_metabolism

and yes at a point I actually thought that alcohol was metabolized like sugar but when talking to my brother about stuff related to it, I actually decided to look it up.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-05-27 at 10:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol I've brewed beer. Don't get me started. My first beer was a success, btw! Many people were surprised it was the first.

Also, ribs are garbage and unfortunately getting lean meat is something you pretty much have to go out and buy yourself and cook, it seems. Surely you could ask for a lean cut or something?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at legit Kobe beef from Japan. It tastes so good. >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    If this world can have some lick of peace and calm, I'll consider visiting Japan.

Right now though? Hah... hahahahhahahhahahahahaha
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at legit Kobe beef from Japan. It tastes so good. >.>
    *Must not get hungry*

10+ Year Old Account
    If this world can have some lick of peace and calm, I'll consider visiting Japan.

Right now though? Hah... hahahahhahahhahahahahaha
    Have a cruise there in less than a month with my grandparents and co (as in lots of others like cousins/aunt/uncle/whatever). >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a cruise there in less than a month with my grandparents and co (as in lots of others like cousins/aunt/uncle/whatever). >.>
    Is that an invitation?
    "A flower.