At which point leaving game counts for leaver penalty?

So yeah. I was wondering when can you leave and it won't count for leaver penalty? Sometimes match ends and I assume people leave at that point, fine, but if I didn't it may just immediately send me to main menu and tell me it is looking for another game. This often doesn't last for more than 0-3seconds.

If I clicked that too late it send me to loading screen. Then back to main menu. Was that a leaving?
    If I leave before match has started and people select heroes. Is that leaving?
    Map has stages. I fight stage 1 ... can I leave between stage 1 and 2? Is that leaving?
    What about once characters have been selected and both sides are waiting at the starting room. Can I leave at that point?

Just a few examples. I often find myself playing more matches than I want to simply because I looked at stats, ect. for too long. Maybe I forgot i was going to leave at end of match. Maybe X.

Is there specific rules somewhere about this?

You can leave the match anytime you see a 'leave game' button without being punished. Punishment includes -75% exp, for how long? I don't know. It takes a few quits before punishment happens. Once there is a timer to select a hero or prepare defences/get ready there is a punishment.

- - - Updated - - -

Official notes -> "If a players game completion percentage falls below our required threshold, they will now recieve a warning message (this percentage is calculated based on their 20 most recent games)
    If that player continues to leave games after recieving this warning, they will incur a 75% XP penalty for future games. This penalty will be removed once the player raises their game completion percentage above our required threshold (again, this percentage is calculated based on their 20 most recent games).
    Plaer interactivity: Players who are in the team spawn room and have selected a hero will no longer be removed for inactivity until 45 seconds after a game has started. Players actively browsing heroes in the "Assemble Heroes" selection screen will no longer be considered inactive. Removed initial warning message displayd after leaving a game
    Competetive play will have additional rules and penalties for leaving games.

As for medals and achievements, just right click your name in the top right corner in menues and select your career progress, it gives you much better charts and information including games won, games played, time spent on which characters, win rates on which characters, kill rates on which characters, most recent characters, specific details like most kills as Bastion, ect.

- - - Updated - - -

Last night before going to bed I saw a friend on and wanted to watch him play (I only had 5 mins to do something) so I hit Join player, which let me spectate. Since I never used it before I didn't know that it will throw you into the game the moment a spot opens up and it did at character select in round 2, so I had to quit out and when I did I earned the punishment. Maybe I am doing spectator wrong.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-05-26 at 07:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got fed up with people not doing what they should be doing last night and left maybe five games within an hour period. I got a -75% XP penalty for one match.

-You can leave the moment Victory/Defeat is shown on screen
    -Anytime between that and 'Assemble your Team' is not acceptable.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Deleted
    I have better things to do than to slog through 10+ minutes of a clearly lost game, plus the completely pointless play of the game and commendation bullshit. Besides, leave early and let someone else take your place. Makes all the sense in the world. I've been put into ongoing games several times so I fail to see what the problem is with leaving.

I mean, if the team doesn't work, then switching up players is hardly going to make it worse. Plus, might be I'm the one fucking the game up, so leaving might be the absolute correct thing to do.

The whole concept of "leaving penalty" is absolutely ridiculous. Add things like that to some kind of clan matches and "esports" shit and leave them out of quick games where they're absolutely pointless. I mean, you already lose the +250XP anyway, so that's penalty enough.

Most matches are like 5-15 minutes and comebacks are possible at any time. If it's a curb stomp it'll be over super fast. I don't see the point of quitting, just swap to a fun hero and amuse yourself if all else fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I have better things to do than to slog through 10+ minutes of a clearly lost game, plus the completely pointless play of the game and commendation bullshit. Besides, leave early and let someone else take your place. Makes all the sense in the world. I've been put into ongoing games several times so I fail to see what the problem is with leaving.

I mean, if the team doesn't work, then switching up players is hardly going to make it worse. Plus, might be I'm the one fucking the game up, so leaving might be the absolute correct thing to do.

The whole concept of "leaving penalty" is absolutely ridiculous. Add things like that to some kind of clan matches and "esports" shit and leave them out of quick games where they're absolutely pointless. I mean, you already lose the +250XP anyway, so that's penalty enough.
    Yeah I agree. I would add on top of that, another reason is that I get super sick of listening to the children treating people like shit in about 1/4 of games now. They need to either add some serious punishments for being toxic, or keep an XP penalty for leaving, away from the game.

I have better things to do than to slog through 10+ minutes of a clearly lost game,
    Ive won games where we been steam rolled to the last point then held it for 6 minutes, most of the people ive seen say its already a lost completely misunderstand that the closer to defeat you are the easy it is to defend.

Losing out on the xp that your could get in the same time in another game isnt a penalty at all. Also there's a reason why every matchmake game has a leaver penalty of some sort, because its required. If theres no punishment, that the same as saying its ok to do it, and dropping out normaly means another person drops shortly after. That means that yes the first person to leave can cause a defeat, double so when u include the person u get in has properly about a 30-60s of setup and travel time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    They need to either add some serious punishments for being toxic
    Would like to see this, but removing the penalty would increase people being toxic not reduce it - i haven't had a need to but i would assume there some for of report system in game if someone is being toxic. If not should be added.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddybird View Post
    Also there's a reason why every matchmake game has a leaver penalty of some sort, because its required. If theres no punishment, that the same as saying its ok to do it, and dropping out normaly means another person drops shortly after.
    Sadly we're living in a world where it's more acceptable to punish than to reward.

You get a reward for staying in the same match time after time. But that reward obviously isn't enough to keep players from quitting. What if the reward for staying really outweighed leaving a losing match and hopping to a new 'server'.

Reward the large group people that do good for once, instead of always mucking it up for them, and only deal out some soft punishment for the relatively small group of people that have the attention span of a goldfish.

15+ Year Old Account

Would like to see this, but removing the penalty would increase people being toxic not reduce it - i haven't had a need to but i would assume there some for of report system in game if someone is being toxic. If not should be added.
    Only sort of. There is a Harassment option when you go to report, but IDK, most of the time I don't really see it as full on harassment, more just very few people being assholes to other people for little to no reason that causes me to not want to be around them so much that I stop playing. Just happened before I came into this thread.
    Joined a game, one guy on our team was sitting there talking shit to someone else on our team the entire time I was there, leave game.
    Next game I joined, beyond no one being support or tank... AGAIN, it was ok.
    Sent back to the game select, get matched up, IMMEDIATELY get a wall of text from someone talking shit to someone else, stuck around for a min because I didn't catch the whole situation, eventually it was clear that the dude was just being an obnoxious prick, so I left.
    Next game I join, 3 people on the other team were talking shit to someone on my team, who was talking shit back to them, after a min I just couldn't take it anymore, so I just closed the game.

I have reported probably 20-30 people already since release. I usually report for harassment, then type in "Being Toxic" and the time. I would much rather just have a "Being Toxic" report option or something, because to me, harassment is when you take something like that WAY too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    I have reported probably 20-30 people already since release. I usually report for harassment, then type in "Being Toxic" and the time. I would much rather just have a "Being Toxic" report option or something, because to me, harassment is when you take something like that WAY too far.
    harassment
    (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands.

So i guess it does kinda fall in that section
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Isn't there already a punishment for being 'toxic' called being muted?

That said I've seen people cite examples of 'toxic behavior' range from death threats to being called a noob to simply being really bad at the game, so hopefully Blizzard has some relatively reasonable guys on there to determine if so called 'toxic behavior' is warranting actual punishment.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

15+ Year Old Account
    harassment
    (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands.

So i guess it does kinda fall in that section
    Yeah, it technically does, but to lump being toxic in with harassment kind of takes away from the effects of true harassment. I think there needs to be a line separating the two, so as not to dilute the meaning.

Deleted
    Much better than punishing toxic behavior is to add the option to disable chats.