Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    So someone just asked Duncan if critics are corrupt and he liked the comment. Could mean some behind the scenes monopoly going on.
    Or he can't accept that maybe the movie is just average. It's not great but nothing note worthy other than CGI either and good CGI is pretty common these days. Sure, we have some crazy reviews and their all over the place but none of them give it great reviews except for fans and well fans tend to rate it higher than critics but even a good number of them just say it's not great but good.

A monopoly behind it with legendary and universal. I don't buy that at all. Sounds more like an excuse.

I just didn't like LOTR compared to 80's fantasy. Apparently Garona is the best part of the movie from we've heard so far? What's bad about that? As a girl, she seems really badass(from reviews). Apparently they cut too much and I think Draka would be cooler. Durotan is also pretty tragic of a character which I've heard from people who've seen the movie. People compare this movie to 80's fantasy films and I like this. It angers me people consider this a critique. There's nothing wrong with feeling like an 80's fantasy film when they were fucking awesome... the reviews(the majority) seem so fucking stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Or he can't accept that maybe the movie is just average. .
    It's not, though. It's good. And who knows, maybe an extended edition could make it great? Oh right, Duncan knows. Huh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    I just didn't like LOTR compared to 80's fantasy. Apparently Garona is the best part of the movie from we've heard so far? What's bad about that? As a girl, she seems really badass(from reviews). Apparently they cut too much and I think Draka would be cooler. Durotan is also pretty tragic of a character which I've heard from people who've seen the movie. People compare this movie to 80's fantasy films and I like this. It angers me people consider this a critique. There's nothing wrong with feeling like an 80's fantasy film when they were fucking awesome... the reviews(the majority) seem so fucking stupid.
    Garona isn't the best part, but she's a well-acted character. The worst part about her is the romance, but that doesn't have anything to do with the character itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or he can't accept that maybe the movie is just average. It's not great but nothing note worthy other than CGI either and good CGI is pretty common these days. Sure, we have some crazy reviews and their all over the place but none of them give it great reviews except for fans and well fans tend to rate it higher than critics but even a good number of them just say it's not great but good.

A monopoly behind it with legendary and universal. I don't buy that at all. Sounds more like an excuse.
    Dude, piss off already. Duncan Jones has been nothing but professional and down to earth, even after Legendary fucked up the marketing of his movie so badly. I'm pretty sure he can deal with moronic critics who, half the time, don't say anything constructive anyway.

He made his movie and seems genuinely happy with it, as most fans and a ton of non-fans will also be as far as I can tell.
    What is worth fighting for?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'v come back to eat my words, watched the movie last night and would give it a solid 8/10. Watched it with my girlfriend who only knows Warcraft from what she's seen on my PC screen over the years - and she enjoyed it. I did have to explain some background story to her though.

I do understand why some people may not like it though, but 2-3/10 is a downright exaggeration. This is just my personal opinion though, everyone's got one of those.

I enjoyed the movie a lot btw. My "non warcraft fans"-friends liked it too and they understood the story. The visuals alone are a good reason to watch it on a big screen imho. The easter eggs didnt feel forced. Overall I recommend everyone to go and see it, its not a masterpiece but its a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    It's not, though. It's good. And who knows, maybe an extended edition could make it great? Oh right, Duncan knows. Huh.
    SNIp...
    I'm not saying that isn't possible. But is the movies real saving grace waiting for an extended DVD? Thats what we are now hoping for?

This movie is projected to make 25 million it seems in the international market on it's opening weekend. Thats not an amazing figure for that market. Some call it modest but look at whats to come (competition wise) and what percentages movies drop off after the first weekend release. Rarely and I mean real rare do movies increase in revenue after the first weekend.

You can hope for a sleeper hit but those don't get sequels on any real quick time frame by movie studio standards. So now you have a rather weak stand alone movie fill of plot holes that wont really ever get resolved and if they do it takes so long you might as well have relaunch the project.

I think the underying message here from a large number of honest reviews is that warcraft is just an average movie. Maybe a little more if action and CGI is all you really went for and while thats not a bad thing as sometimes you just want to see shit blown up (one directors entire life is based on that and he does well at it) but in the end we got an average movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Garona isn't the best part, but she's a well-acted character. The worst part about her is the romance, but that doesn't have anything to do with the character itself.
    The best part for me was Khadgar and Durotan. At some points you can't believe how expressive Durotan is for a mocap character and Khadgar progresses during the movie in a way I really appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The 25 million I'm seeing is its US projected opening.
    I'll have to check my inbox again. I took the message to mean international given it's release in the east.

I´ve seen the movie yesterday.And for me it is 7 or maybe 8/10.CGI and action are great, acting is acceptable.Major problem i have with the Warcraft movie is that it doesnt bother to introduce its characters properly.It completely relies on the fans who not just played the Warcraft games but also read lore books.Characters are just thrown in one after another, nothing compared to the way key characters are introduced in LotR, GoT or even Harry Potter and the Hobbit with its 13!!! dwarves.For example, the movie starts on Draenor and then moves to Ironforge.And it shows a dwarf giving Lothar a boomstick.And this is how Lothar is introduced, it is never mentioned what rank he has. or what he is doing in Ironforge, the movie fails to explain how far Stormwind and Ironforge lie from each other and those kinds of things are on every corner.Or another example : there is a mana pool at one key location,and it is never mentioned that it is one, a person who knows noithing about Warcraft universe will never figure out what it is supposed to be.These kinds of things bothered me,but they might not bother others.
    And then there is one scene with the tragic death of certain relative, viewers supposed to care about, but since movie never gave that character any sort of decent background(unlike Boromir in LotR), it doesnt work.
    And then there are Khadgar and Garrona, who for some reason get more credit and attention, than Durotan,Orgrim and Guldan.
    Other things that bothered me were for example absence of catapults, absence of other ork sorcerers other than Guldan, same goes for the human side.
    Also imo movie like this must have a proper huge battlle scene like the battle for Helms Deep or Minas Tirith, and sadly there isnt one here.
    Overall Warcraft movie is more or less a complete opposite of Batman vs Superman, which has given too much attention and background to its characters, with exception of Superman.Also while BvS came across as boring to everyone who wanted action, Warcraft managed to steer clear from boring sections.
    Last edited by Kaynot; 2016-05-27 at 02:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Reviewer
    I feel like as much as I like parts of Warcraft, I cannot get past the idea that this is all just a rev up to something else.
    Those of you who have seen it... Does it feel like it's it's a "rev" (I must admit I have no idea what this word means, but I can assume given the context) up to the Second War in general or the fall of Stormwind?

The 25 million I'm seeing is its US projected opening.
    That's what I saw at DH, projecting a 4th place finish for opening weekend, behind The Conjuring, Turtles and something else that I can't remember. I think it can beat Turtles, but Mike Bay brings all the kids to the yard with his 'splosions.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, only 2 and a half hours till I will be watching the movie. Been waiting 10 years for this moment. =)

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    It's just fun to watch you guys squirm, to be honest. This was meant to be second coming of Jesus, no less. Screw lore nerds and their whining. Duncan, the lord, will save us. This is like the best thing ever. Now I see you guys are so down you barely even try to defend this movie. Reduced to "have you seen the movie, everyone else lies"!
    Dont just post to needle or incite other users. Either contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    Dude, piss off already. Duncan Jones has been nothing but professional and down to earth, even after Legendary fucked up the marketing of his movie so badly. I'm pretty sure he can deal with moronic critics who, half the time, don't say anything constructive anyway.

He made his movie and seems genuinely happy with it, as most fans and a ton of non-fans will also be as far as I can tell.
    Oh yes. I wondered how long it would be till the fingers started getting pointed at anyone or anything else except the guy who made the movie. No way a guy that has all of 2 movies under his belt (both very low budget and moderate success) bit off more than he could chew with a monster project like warcraft. A project that inherently comes with huge hurdles even for a seasoned film maker which jones is not.

And he better be able to deal with critics because hes got no choice and him being happy with his project means two things - Jack and shit. And Jack left town. (Reference anyone - anyone? Buller?)

Yes, fans will like and dislike it. Some non fans will like and dislike it. Right now it's all across the board but most give it average ratings. Some give it higher and no doubt because they hoped it would be better and are still clinging on for a second coming to fix the firsts problems. This movie is turning out to be just an average movie with really good CGI. Too bad good CGI is common place now and doesn't carry as much weight as it once did. Thats not all bad but a lot of people are going to have to come to terms with that. We got an average movie and some will have to place their hopes in an extended DVD to make it a bit better than average but this version of warcraft won't ever be great it seems.

Now You See Me 2. People seem pretty excited for this Turtles sequel, so idk.
    Yes! I really, really enjoyed the first one, but I've seen zero anything for the sequel, so I'm not sure how that can beat Warcraft (talking about NYSM2). Haven't seen turtles 1, but Meg Fox in school girl outfit makes me happy. I'd love it more if it was before all her "work" and she still had that Transformers 1 look. My friend is stoked due to Rocksteady and Beebop.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaynot View Post
    Characters are just thrown in one after another, nothing compared to the way key characters are introduced in LotR, GoT or even Harry Potter and the Hobbit with its 13!!! dwarves.
    lol Hobbit didn't introduce the dwarves almost at all apart from balin, thorin, fili and kili. The rest of them just kinda hung around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Rev is a term for feeding more gas to an engine which increases the revolutions. Basically a build up to something(in the engines case, usually going fast/peeling out).
    Thank you.

This movie is projected to make 25 million it seems in the international market on it's opening weekend.
    That's not a well defined statement because the movie releases gradually. Around a third of Europe got it already, a third is getting it next week and the last third is getting it along with the US on June 10th. China as well. These are the only significant markets, I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Masser View Post
    The directors cut will fix a lot of the "bad" but what can't be fixed is the portrayal of Grommash Hellscream. seriously WTF?!
    I completely disagree. A director cut could fix exactly that by showing the dialogue between him and Durotan/Orgrim. That shows quite a bit of his characterization.

I'm fine if he doesn't say a word after that, he's not relevant to the plot. Heck, according to lore Kargath and Grommash shouldn't even be on Azeroth at such point in time. And the general audience ain't going to bother about characters they don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackx View Post
    I actually like that they slightly altered the lore with Garona, making her kill the king for a possible greater good instead of having gul'dan mind control her into doing it or whatever was canon again. This is just better, that whole shtick always just seemed a bit far fetched to me.
    Agreed. I always considered "mind-control" too much of a cheap trick. This change makes Garona more responsible of her actions but as much sympathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Very. Blade Runner and Kingdom of Heaven are example of that.

Universal/Legendary treated Warcraft movie so badly, from bad marketing to cutting entire scenes that we saw before, including in the trailers.
    I wonder if at least some of these cuts would have been avoided in case the movie would have been released at the end of 2015, as originally planned. The fact that scenes present in the trailers themselves got cut in that way seems to point on that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    You must have seen the special extremely cutted version of Warcraft
    Yeah, it's called "I haven't seen the movie yet and I'm talking out of my arse". They'll released it in blue-ray next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dentelan View Post
    Actually im sure that even if the movie is not masterpiece, it still will have 500+ million dollars around the world.
    Well, even movies that were way worse than "not just masterpiece" grossed more than 500 millions.

It's just too hard to make reliable predictions and there are countless variables in action. We're still on a quite early stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by donmater View Post
    lol Hobbit didn't introduce the dwarves almost at all apart from balin, thorin, fili and kili. The rest of them just kinda hung around.
    Still, all of them participated in the first meeting with Bilbo, and were given just enough character, so that viewers cared when some of them died, or were almost roasted alive by the ogres.The only characters i trully cared about in the Warcraft movie were Durotan and Orgrimm.So there is clearly something missing.